BATMAN to be Celebrated at International Conference

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

BATMAN to be Celebrated at International Conference

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

Just posted this news item over at 13th Dimension. You'll in all likelihood dig it:

https://13thdimension.com/batman-to-be- ... onference/

BATMAN '66 is sure to be represented in abundance.

Check it out if you like!

-- Dan
thebionicbigfoot

Re: BATMAN to be Celebrated at International Conference

Post by thebionicbigfoot »

Batman in Popular Culture

Professor Chuck Coletta just contacted me and he has agreed to accept my topic for inclusion at the Batman International Conference hosted at The Department of Popular Culture at the Browne Popular Culture Library at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio on Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13, 2019.

The Batman in Popular Culture conference aims to examine Batman in Popular Culture in all mediums and media. I have offered the following topic for inclusion in the conference:

Title: “A Look at the 1966 Batman Test Pilot Episode Artifacts & Actors and Compare & Contrast to the TV Show

Research Focus: “Highlight the difference between the actors that tested for the role (Adam West/Burt Ward) vs. (Lyle Waggoner/Peter Deyell) and the changes of the Batman Costume and Cowl and the reasons why. Exhibit actual artifacts from the test screening.

Synopsis: Highlight the differences between the styles of the two sets of actors that auditioned for the 1966 Batman TV Series, Adam West/Burt Ward & Lyle Waggoner/Peter Deyell. Provide details of actual never before released interviews from Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell talking about their time auditioning for the roles. Peter Deyell explained being on set to help test the three different style of Robin costumes the company had in stock to test for the show. Share Peter Deyell’s thoughts on him and Lyle Waggoner landing the lead roles Explain why the 1966 Batman Test Costume & Cowl was different than the version worn during the TV show. Explore what facets (Batcave, Bat computer, Bat Study, Dick Grayson/Bruce Wayne persona) from the screen test remained for the 1966 TV show.

Exhibit the actual costume that Adam West & Lyle Waggoner wore for the actual screen test and contrast it to the actual style wore during the 1966 series. The costume has been in a private collection and has never been exhibited and is known to exist by a very small number of people. Exhibit one of the actual 1966 Screen Test Robin costumes that was not used on the show and highlight the physical design reasons how it differed. The costume was worn by actor Peter Deyell during the testing.

Troy R. Kinunen
Pop Culture Researcher With An Emphasis on the Golden Age of Super Heroes
1234 Manitoba Ave.
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
(414)-828-9990, troy@mearsonline.com
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

thebionicbigfoot wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm Batman in Popular Culture

Professor Chuck Coletta just contacted me and he has agreed to accept my topic for inclusion at the Batman International Conference hosted at The Department of Popular Culture at the Browne Popular Culture Library at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio on Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13, 2019.

The Batman in Popular Culture conference aims to examine Batman in Popular Culture in all mediums and media. I have offered the following topic for inclusion in the conference:

Title: “A Look at the 1966 Batman Test Pilot Episode Artifacts & Actors and Compare & Contrast to the TV Show

Research Focus: “Highlight the difference between the actors that tested for the role (Adam West/Burt Ward) vs. (Lyle Waggoner/Peter Deyell) and the changes of the Batman Costume and Cowl and the reasons why. Exhibit actual artifacts from the test screening.

Synopsis: Highlight the differences between the styles of the two sets of actors that auditioned for the 1966 Batman TV Series, Adam West/Burt Ward & Lyle Waggoner/Peter Deyell. Provide details of actual never before released interviews from Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell talking about their time auditioning for the roles. Peter Deyell explained being on set to help test the three different style of Robin costumes the company had in stock to test for the show. Share Peter Deyell’s thoughts on him and Lyle Waggoner landing the lead roles Explain why the 1966 Batman Test Costume & Cowl was different than the version worn during the TV show. Explore what facets (Batcave, Bat computer, Bat Study, Dick Grayson/Bruce Wayne persona) from the screen test remained for the 1966 TV show.

Exhibit the actual costume that Adam West & Lyle Waggoner wore for the actual screen test and contrast it to the actual style wore during the 1966 series. The costume has been in a private collection and has never been exhibited and is known to exist by a very small number of people. Exhibit one of the actual 1966 Screen Test Robin costumes that was not used on the show and highlight the physical design reasons how it differed. The costume was worn by actor Peter Deyell during the testing.

Troy R. Kinunen
Pop Culture Researcher With An Emphasis on the Golden Age of Super Heroes
1234 Manitoba Ave.
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
(414)-828-9990, troy@mearsonline.com
Whaaaaaaaa?
Can this be real?
thebionicbigfoot

As part of my research for my presentation, I just spoke to one of the original DC artists that first drew what would become the 1966 Batman TV costume design (yellow field with bat). Previously, no circular yellow field was used and the bat was consistent with what was first drawn back in 1939. Per my interview with the artist, I was able to determine the first time the new design logo was used, who was instrumental in changing the logo, and the first time the logo was used on a Batman comic cover. My finding will be revealed at the Batman International Conference. Troy
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Is anyone else going to this? I'm considering going, but I'm pinching pennies and I'm trying to avoid having to rent a car. Thinking if anyone is going to be driving in from Toledo or maybe other, larger cities, maybe a Bat-carpool might be possible.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

thebionicbigfoot wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm As part of my research for my presentation, I just spoke to one of the original DC artists that first drew what would become the 1966 Batman TV costume design (yellow field with bat). Previously, no circular yellow field was used and the bat was consistent with what was first drawn back in 1939. Per my interview with the artist, I was able to determine the first time the new design logo was used, who was instrumental in changing the logo, and the first time the logo was used on a Batman comic cover. My finding will be revealed at the Batman International Conference. Troy
This all sounds amazing, Troy. Do you intend to publish anything after the conference?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This is really sounding like an incredible event! I really wish it didn't clash the commitments I have in NYC that same weekend!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

The presentation sounds great, but there's no big mystery around the first appearance of the "New Look" batsuit (with the yellow oval around the chest insignia).

The first comic to feature the New Look costume was World's Finest Comics #141, cover-dated May 1964, in a story titled "The Olsen-Robin Team versus the Superman-Batman Team!" The issue's cover depicted a scene from that story but, ironically (presumably due to differences in production timing for covers vs. interior artwork), the cover drawing of Batman featured the old costume design. (It thus became the last "old look" cover.)

The cover to Detective Comics #327 (also cover-dated May 1964) announced the arrival of Batman's New Look, and the artwork *technically* featured the new costume design, but it depicted Batman knocked out and lying on his stomach, with his spiffy new chest insignia hidden from view. (The yellow oval appears prominently on the inside splash page and elsewhere throughout the issue.)

The first cover to show Batman's yellow chest emblem was Batman #164, cover-dated June 1964. The image promoted a story titled "Two Way Gem Caper," and the cover art was reused on DC's first paperback compilation of TV-era Batman tales, "Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 1."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Cool Jim! You said in a nutshell what I've been trying to find out for a while now. You are awesome!
Attachments
3862.jpeg
3862.jpeg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 54116 times
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

:D
Attachments
23266068.jpg
23266068.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 54116 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

:D
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

John Mack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:48 am Cool Jim! You said in a nutshell what I've been trying to find out for a while now.
Great! Glad I could assist.

One detail I left out: As noted at the Grand Comics Database, World's Finest #141 went on sale March 12, 1964, two weeks before Detective #327. The difference in newsstand dates is why WF #141 gets credited as the first appearance of the "New Look" design, even though it shares a May 1964 cover date with Detective #327.
thebionicbigfoot

To Jim Akin,

I see that you have been a member on this board since 2012. This gave you ample time to publish a post about the history of the "New Look" batsuit. I could not find any of your published research on the subject. I read your response, which was to reveal the history of the first use of the yellow oval around the chest insignia, and I could not help but to take it as an attempt to "scoop" my presentation at the conference and to show the board that you also knew the origin of the costumes history. As I stated, your timing comes across as quite peculiar and mean spirited.

It is just one part of my overall presentation, but again, I could not for the life of me figure out why you felt the need to publish the story and details when I wanted to share it for those that were not familiar with the costume's origin at the conference.

Since my post was in response to the topic of the "Batman To Be Celebrated At the International Conference", you may have wanted to consider submitting your research to be included there, as that was where my research was to be included in conjunction with the review of the 1966 Batman Test Costume and the difference between the final version which was actually used for the 1966 TV show. Since you have such an interest in the topic, maybe you want to finish the rest of my topic on this board?

I did not post on this board other than to help support my topic and to share what I was presenting at the conference. Your comment that "there's no big mystery around the first appearance of the "New Look" batsuit (with the yellow oval around the chest insignia)" implies I was trying to present the facts as a major comic breakthrough.

Again, in conjunction with speaking about the 1966 Batman Test costume, I was going to share the research, (which was new to me, and exciting at the same time), at the conference. I chose to share it at the conference to provide something that I thought was exciting with other presenters and those that take the time to attend. I was able to speak with the actual artist that drew the panel, and thought his insights regarding the topic would make for an interesting presentation. It was my plan to share my power point presentation here after the conference. From reading your post, it does not appear my presentation is needed to be published on this forum as you are willing to do so on my behalf.

I have spent 20 years as a professional researcher and evaluator of historic memorabilia. I submitted a topic for consideration for the International Batman Conference and was selected to be a presenter. For my presentation, it is culmination of 20 years of collecting and researching Batman memorabilia and dozens of hours in organizing my work for the presentation. I thought I was sharing this with a group of diehard Batman fan's at a professionally organized conference. To you, it was just an opportunity to share what you knew regarding a topic I developed and introduced in this thread to share at the Batman conference.

Anymore questions regarding the topic can be directed to resident expert Jim Akin.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen
(414)-828-9990
troy@mearsonline.com
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I think it will still be an informative presentation, plus there will be plenty of people not from our board who has not had it spoiled!
I am still trying to make it out for this event and your panel.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

thebionicbigfoot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:57 pm To Jim Akin,

I see that you have been a member on this board since 2012. This gave you ample time to publish a post about the history of the "New Look" batsuit. I could not find any of your published research on the subject. I read your response, which was to reveal the history of the first use of the yellow oval around the chest insignia, and I could not help but to take it as an attempt to "scoop" my presentation at the conference and to show the board that you also knew the origin of the costumes history. As I stated, your timing comes across as quite peculiar and mean spirited.
I'm sorry if you feel put out, but there's no "scoop" to be had on this information.

The history of the "New Look" is common knowledge among comics collectors, as documented in the sources I linked to earlier and in loads of others, including Dial B for Blog, comics parodist/historian Fred Hembeck's blog and the Oz and Ends blog. (And those are just online sources; I'd be shocked if The Comics Journal hasn't revisited it at one time or another, or if TwoMorrows Publishing hasn't covered it somewhere in the pages of "Back Issue" or "Alter Ego.")

I'm not even a serious comics collector and I picked up the "New Look" history by osmosis. The only effort on my part was clicking around and discovering information that's been readily available for years—in coherent narrative form, not piecemeal tidbits. I wouldn't even call that research, much less the stuff of scholarly papers.

As to why I didn't "publish" here before, there's plenty of overlap between comics fans and fans of the Batman TV series, but this site is about the TV show. I gather from John Mack's response that board members had some curiosity about the history of the "New Look" comics, but I wasn't aware anyone had asked about it before. If they had (and I'd noticed—I'm sometimes away from the board for months at a time) I'd have shared the info then.

Good luck with your presentation.