1966 Batman Screen Worn Market Observations

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

thebionicbigfoot

Post by thebionicbigfoot »

Saturday, December 1st, 2018 saw the completion of the latest Prop Store Auction. Several screen worn 1966 Batman related pieces were offered for sale. Judging by published results, peripheral items associated with the show with a valuation of approximately $10,000 sold in cases where the reserves ended up being about 50% of the hammer price. Examples include:

Batman / Robin Bat Respirator, MB $5,000 – Hammer $10,370
Bat Girl’s Anti Dote Pills, MB $6,000 – Hammer $12,200
Egghead Grenade Kit, MB $5,000 – Hammer $10980

These items had active bidding and it is my opinion sold at very strong levels being iconic props related to memorable episodes, but not a costume of a major star. Items valued above $10,000 with six figure reserves saw no action with buyers. Examples include:

Bat Shield, MB $400,000 – PASS
Frank Gorshin Riddle Jacket, MB $100,000 – PASS

What does that mean about the state of the screen worn 1966 Batman market? It is my opinion that the Bat Shield and the Frank Gorshin Riddler jacket would have sold for significantly less than the reserve price, which was supported by the fact there were no bids at that number. The items are truly unique and amazing, but the market does not support asking prices north of $100,000 at this time. I base this on the 2018 Profiles in History Sales Prices. Items she sold included:

Bat Girl Cowl, low estimate $4,000 – Hammer $44,500
Bat Girl Cape, low estimate $4,000 – Hammer $14,800
Cesar Romero Joker Costume, low estimate $8,000 – Hammer $89,600
Adam West Bruce Wayne Ensemble, low estimate $1,000 – Hammer $12,800

I think this data suggests that the market is strong for 1966 Batman screen worn memorabilia of the major stars/characters in the $10,000 - $90,000 range. If a second Cesar Romero Joker costume entered the market, it would most likely sell for less money since one strong buyer is out of the market. 1966 Batman screen worn memorabilia will always be actively sought after and it will be interesting to see where the market goes in coming years. Factors such as the stock market, political climate, economy, and disposable income all contribute the market value of these types of collectable items.

What did members of the board think about the recent Prop Store Auction and last year’s Profiles in History prices realized for their 1966 Screen Worn Batman items.

Questions or comments may be directed to Troy R. Kinunen at (414)-828-9990 or email troy@mearsonline.com
AndyFish

Re: 1966 Batman Screen Worn Market Observations

Post by AndyFish »

It’s great to see some things appear but I’m always skeptical especially after an auction house listed a clearly fake West-Cowl a year or so ago and claimed it was legit.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Always assume items might be fake until proofen otherwise cuz in many cases they are......buyer beware

(recently someone tried to sell the blue winter jacket Bond wears in FYEO , it was prolly not real and label sewn into it to deceive)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

In addition to fraud there are many items that the seller might believe to be authentic. An item is only as good as it's provenance. But even then, like with the cowl I mentioned in the post above, that had paperwork too.
CADA

Post by CADA »

Hi Andy quick question what do you think of these I would love to buy these because I never saw 4 out of the 6 pictures but the price is a lot they look like regular pictures that people sell copies of on eBay http://www.icollector.com/The-New-Adven ... _i31870564