Adam ,Burt,Julie & Yvonne- Rhode Island Comic Con 11/2-11/3

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dave from the UK

Re: Adam ,Burt,Julie & Yvonne- Rhode Island Comic Con 11/2-1

Post by Dave from the UK »

landocolt45 wrote:
Dave from the UK wrote:Hi All,

This is my first post on the new board. I'm excited to say my ticket is booked. This'll be my first convention in the US as well. I've been waiting for Burt & Julie to do a convention in the UK for years, but it hasn't happened so with a little inspiration I'm booked. See you guys there.
Dave, you made a good choice with Rhode Island Comic Con as your first U.S. convention. Last years was fun and this looks to be even better. Providence is a great city as well.
I'm really excited! I haven't had a proper nights sleep for about a week.

I have an amazing friend that lives in Plymouth who is going to pick me up from Logan on Friday and then drive me to Providence Saturday. I'll have a little time to check out Providence Sunday PM and Monday AM before I make my way back to Logan.

My buddy's always raving about how cool Providence is, so hopefully I'll get to see a bit of it before I head home.
Dave from the UK

Post by Dave from the UK »

BatB wrote:I'll be there as well, very much looking forward to meeting these TV icons.
My little girl (6 years) old is a little bit disappointed that Yvonne won't be there, she's been a Batgirl fan since she was 3.
That's a shame. I'd have loved to have been able to bring my son. But he's only 2.

His 3rd word was Batman!

I've started him early.
cheferic

Post by cheferic »

Great questions out batman and robin w bat. Photo pops it will have a back drop In fact the booth will be closed off while photos are being taken not head shot a full shot with the batmobile and produced on the spot Proper lighting will be in place To insure a high quality end product
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

So, I may be going to the show! This will be my first time - thinking about wearing the Bat-suit - anyone else dressing up and as what?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
RuxieCat121

Post by RuxieCat121 »

I'll be bringing my Catwoman costume with me in case I have time to suit up. :)

~Heather
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

I will be wearing my Batsuit for a while on Sat.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

RuxieCat121 wrote:I'll be bringing my Catwoman costume with me in case I have time to suit up. :)

~Heather
Do you bring it into the con with you or can you come & go back in at will?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
RuxieCat121

Post by RuxieCat121 »

Batfanman wrote:
RuxieCat121 wrote:I'll be bringing my Catwoman costume with me in case I have time to suit up. :)

~Heather
Do you bring it into the con with you or can you come & go back in at will?
Depends on how the con is set up and if I'm staying close enough by. Most times I just bring it into the con with me and change in a restroom.

~Heather
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

are you able to come in already wearing it?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
RuxieCat121

Post by RuxieCat121 »

I see no reason why not. I just prefer to bring mine with me in case I tire out before the convention is over and I can just change back to regular clothing without having to leave and come back. That's just more convenient for me personally.

~Heather
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Camille and I are so sad to be missing this one..but circumstances just did not gel to make it happen
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I made it to Providence and what a fun day - I made the day of so many children (plus many adults) and Adam & Burt made mine!

Now, I must go and do as Adam instructed me - "go fight criminals." (Although, it did sound like his prefaced "Now, get out of here..." seemed to have a greater vocal emphasis...) :)
Attachments
B&R + BatFanMan CROP.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
BatB

Post by BatB »

My Review of the Rhode Island Comicon:
So is it better sometimes not to meet your idols?

In my case, I would say "Yes"!. This was a really disappointing event for me and family. I arrive promptly at 9:30AM after traveling 3 hours to get there. After some convincing from my wife, I decided to sign up for the Photo Op, Opportunity of a Lifetime with Burt and Adam for $120. I was both excited and nervous to meet for the first time the two actors that I have admired for more than 45 years. So Adam came out, then Burt. after signing autographs for 20 minutes, they decided to make their way to the batmobile for pictures. Adam didn't seem too excited about the event. I took a picture of him walking to the set, and he complained to his handler that I took a picture. That's how it started. During the entire time that I was on with them to take a pictures, my comment of: "It's nice to finally meet you guys" was ignored twice and during the entire shoot, which took about 10 seconds, the only thing that my wife kept hearing from his handler was that this was taking way too much time from Adam ... and it's just not going to work. Now let's talk about the picture itself. I am glad to see that Batafan got a decent picture, but I can't say the same of mine. The picture is not only badly out of focus, but is also "blownout" the "photographer" surely had his camera in "P" mode and the focus fell somewhere on the door of the batmobile, leaving us badly out of focus and since the batmobile is black, the auto exposure compensated for the dark color and left us washed out. Very disapointing.

Now for the autographs ... that was a mess as well. After standing in line for about 40 minutes to get my tickets that were pre-paid, and finding out that Julie Newmar was not going to be there on Saturday (Not her fault, just issues due to LAX closure) I wait in line to get my first autograph with Adam and we were turned around stating that they didn't take the pre-paid cards but that this was a "cash-only" transaction. So back to the ticket booth and after almost an hour of waiting, we were told that there was nothing that they could do at this point and would try to refund our online purchase. The guy in front of me had already paid cash for his autograph and was looking for a refund of his portion of the V.I.P. pass that he bought. He told me that he had to pay $60 each ($120) for Adam and Burt. (Originally sold for $60 for Adam and $50 for Burt) Someone took my information for a possible refund at a later time.

FLEECED BY THE DYNAMIC DUO !!! - Now I return to the table to pay cash for an autograph, since this was the entire reason of my trip, only to find out that Adam is now $80 cash and Burt was $60. At this point, I was ready to say "Holy Scam Batfans". I feel that it's OK for them to ask whatever price they want, but start it with a new show, not in the middle where someone paid $60 and now the price just jumps to $80. I've also read many times on this board that Adam and Burt were some of the nicest folk to meet ... well Adam was a little temperamental as my wife put it and Burt was quiet, but nicer.

All in all, I have to say that the experience was very disappointing and that I didn't feel like they were there for the fans. I do have to say that the best moment was chatting with the guys from Gotham Cycle from this board, they were really nice to talk to and took their time to chat and had a great opportunity for a picture on the bike. Hope others had a better experience ... I left with the overall feeling that I came in with admiration for someone that I had watched for over 40 year to leaving with not a whole lot of respect .... BatB
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

That's awful.
It's not an excuse by any means but I had good friends who were big guests at this show last year and things were so disorganized they talked me out of setting up there this year despite the fact that it's only an hour away and a chance to hang out with Adam and Fred for a bit. If that's the case again it's going to add to the already draining effect of travel and doing these shows.

Having said that, if you agree to do these you have to bring it for the fans, and anything less is inexcusable.
Sorry you had a bad experience.
T Butler

Post by T Butler »

BatB,
The same thing was done to us last weekend in San Antonio at the Alamo City Comicon. Changing the price for autographs (from $50 to $80 for Adam and $40 to $60 for Burt) after the convention started created a mess for those of us that pre purchased the VIP tickets and the cash exchange on the floor was tacky. This was for one item. A photo op was held later in the day (no vehicles though) for $100. We passed on the photo op.
I had not been to a convention since the late 70's/early 80's. They ain't what they used to be. Had I not gone to see them, I'd probably regret never having done so when the opportunity came up, so I can scratch it off the bucket list.
I can assure you that you are not alone in your disappointment with the experience. Aside from the last minute price increases, our convention suffered from a series of other disasters by the organizers. But it is what it is. Lessons learned.