SDCC 2022

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

SDCC 2022

Post by AndyFish »

Not sure we'll see a lot of new '66 Batman stuff at SDCC but I'll be there for at least a few days-- they've implemented a mask mandate so I won't be spending much time there-- what they should do is implement a "wash your hands" mandate since I continue to be blown away by the number of people I see in a mens room at airports and other shows just walking out, many not even doing the pretend wash your hands splash of water thing.

Anyway, if there is any Batman stuff I thought it'd be a good idea to have a place to put it.
Larry A.

Re: SDCC 2022

Post by Larry A. »

I just punched the "I agree with Andy" button". FWIW, having worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant, back in the day, one thing we were taught is that washing one's hands with soap DOES kill 999+ % of all germs. The best way to do this is run warm as one can stand water over one's hands up to the wrist (or further, if possible), put soap on your hands and up and scrub for as long as it takes to sing "Happy Birthday to me" at LEAST twice over, (I do that 3 times, fwiw).
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Not Batman related so forgive me but Mattel is bringing back Major Matt Mason, Pulsar and Big Jim in the form of action figures. I had all of these as a kid, and while I'd have been happier if they were actual reproductions of the originals, this is kind of fun. I know there are other fans of these lines on the boards...

These'll debut at SDCC and possibly online at the same time. There will also be a Captain Action panel at the show, I would hope Scott shows up in his great suit for it. So it's looking to be a good show for classic figures.
svl

Post by svl »

Washing hands is a must, but doesn’t cover all the bases when it comes to airborne diseases.

Big MMM fan, disappointed they didn’t include his iconic helmet. Hopefully the production fig has it.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I'm going to show my age because i want all three!
Mask rule? I would choose the Williams 66 mask.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

In hand pics are out there, looks like Matt doesn't have a helmet! How can he accomplish interplanetary stuff?? What were they thinking? Pulsar looks great-- it looks like they're also doing some of the Marvel Secret Wars figures too. Rumor is the set of 3 is $40. Helmet loss might be a deal breaker for me.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I don't understand why more companies don't reissue old toys again. These are cute but they are not nearly as nice as the originals. The GI Joe action man in box repos sold...at least from what I could tell. I want a new Big Jim line!!! BTW, Jim's new figure is the weakest of the 3. His whole outfit is just painted on.

I started designing a full size Big Jim Pack arm band & his pistol but I never 3D printed it. I need to finish those. I made them look like the toys and not a real version.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's harder than it looks; Captain Action has been reissued a number of times, but without the "classic" characters it failed the first time in the 90s, then it came back again this time with them and they redesigned the outfits and the dolls and it failed again. Bad marketing maybe? Too high a price point? I'm not sure. Mego is back and doing well it would seem, and they've even announced a return of the original four Mego Worlds Greatest Superheroes-- and I'd expect to see some manner of them at SDCC. So why do some work and some don't?

I agree, painted on outfits are odd for both Big Jim and Pulsar who each had clothes, and the lack of a helmet on Matt Mason?? C'mon! What's a spaceman without a helmet??

I'd love to see classic toy lines come back, even if they were at Hot Toys level pricing--I'd pay $200 for a brand new exactly as released Captain Action Batman costume set with accessories, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:55 am In hand pics are out there, looks like Matt doesn't have a helmet! How can he accomplish interplanetary stuff?? What were they thinking? Pulsar looks great-- it looks like they're also doing some of the Marvel Secret Wars figures too. Rumor is the set of 3 is $40. Helmet loss might be a deal breaker for me.
Helmet loss IS a deal breaker for me!
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Just walked the show floor-- doesn't open for a few more hours- still some areas with covered displays but right now not seeing much in the way of '66 Batman items. I was able to get a new edition Classic Plastick AW Batman set this morning while I was sitting in the airport lounge waiting for my lift to the hotel. The joy of travel, internet and west coast time.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Matt Mason was my first action figure ever. It'd be a hoot to have an accurate one again.

I guess there's always an awkward balance between appealing to nostalgia and accurately re-making figures by intentionally ignoring decades of progress in design and manufacturing. My Matt, for instance, lost his left arm early on when that little wire inside snapped, and I gather that was not a rare thing with those little guys. To put something like that out now, you'd pretty much have to commit 100% to adult collectors you know will treat them with care, if they take them off the cards at all. Then again, it's hard to imagine anyone under 50 caring about these properties, so I guess you're committing to an adult audience from the get-go.

I admit to a certain sentimental attachment to Megos, but even as a kid I knew they were poorly designed and constructed, and wished for better. I still look at them and smile today, but it's in the same way I look at photos of young me sporting a Monkees haircut and a plaid Toughskins leisure suit: with a chuckle and a shake of the head.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Had both Big Jim and Matt Mason as a kid. Still have them packed away. There was a company a few years ago (maybe 10 years) that reproduced the Matt mason figures in different color suits. They were very reasonably priced and sold very quickly. They even came with the same helmets. A relaunch of that classic rubber body with those great accessories he had would be so awesome!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:31 am Just walked the show floor-- doesn't open for a few more hours- still some areas with covered displays but right now not seeing much in the way of '66 Batman items. I was able to get a new edition Classic Plastick AW Batman set this morning while I was sitting in the airport lounge waiting for my lift to the hotel. The joy of travel, internet and west coast time.
and I forgot to mention a big thanks to Mike Mulitsch for giving me a heads up that Wes was making these again.
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

According to Toyark, Mezco will be displaying a Classic black variant version of the Golden Age Batman figure.

https://news.toyark.com/2022/07/21/sdcc ... lay-475453
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 11-45-03 D-Amazing (@d__amazing) • Instagram photos and videos.png
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Stuff occasionally gets later reveals but as far as I can tell not much in the way of '66 Batman stuff. Probably the coolest items I saw that are slated to come out in the near future was the Mezco 1:12 Ditko Spidey figure and the set of 50th Anniversary Mego figures in retro window boxes-- Superman, Batman and Robin (removable masks), Aquaman and Shazam (Captain Marvel).