Baltimore Comic Con Meetup?

'66 Batman oriented TV and Movie Appearances, Conventions, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Baltimore Comic Con Meetup?

Post by AndyFish »

Hey Batfans- I'll be at Baltimore Comic Con (Halloween Weekend for some reason) again this year, any board members who are going to be there shoot me a DM and we can arrange another drinks and snacks meetup-- last time around we shared some great original art from the show.
AndyFish

Re: Baltimore Comic Con Meetup?

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks to those lurkers who reached out-- the show is this weekend, I'll be in town from Wednesday thru Sunday but we've designated Thursday night as a full fledged dinner outing, email me if you want deets. Saturday night didn't work because that's the night of the charity auction.
Looking forward to it-- this is always a good show that is MOSTLY comics, although I don't know what comics the Disney Princess voice actors have worked on. ;)
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I've seen some pics from Baltimore on Walter Simonson's Facebook feed. He and weezie always draw a crowd, and it looks like they had fun and also re-connected with Allen Milgrom and Howard Chaykin. How did the con go for you, Andy?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It was certainly an interesting show, Jim. Baltimore as a city has certainly seen better times. We had two different sets of friends witness a major crime go down right in front of them and they ended up spending several hours filling out police reports. That was all after the con though.

Speaking of after the con, I met up with two lurking members here (not going to out anyone) and got them in to the exclusive Short Box Event which had free food and drinks after Friday's show and boy were those Buffalo Wings fantastic! One of my companions gave in to peer pressure and got crab cakes on Saturday night because everyone was telling us we have to get them while we're there (We're from Boston-- we have crab cakes up here too), and they were terrible!

The show itself is always pretty good-- it has a tremendous reputation as one of the few "all comic shows" left-- most comic conventions are filled with celebrities from TV and Movies as well as toys, POPS etc. Some of the Wizard Shows (now defunct) had insurance companies, cell phone providers and, yup, even a 'Gentleman's Club' as exhibitors. Well, Baltimore, the all comics show, had cell phone providers, insurance companies and among the guests were the voice actors who did all the Disney Princess' (what comics did they work on?).

Crowd wise- Thursday (show not open but sales are still made) was quiet-- Friday was a little better, Saturday was gang-busters and Sunday was so slow I kept wondering if they'd opened the doors. It's interesting to compare it to Salt Lake City Comic Con which I did a month ago-- not a "pure" comic show by any means, but the city was safe and clean, and the show was insane attendance wise. It rivaled San Diego Comic Con and New York City for numbers.

Baltimore also has the charity auction for art and the Ringo Awards. Next year they're moving it back to September which will take it out of the shadow of New York Comic Con so I think that'll be beneficial.
Overall, still a fun show, and it's an easy flight for me.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Anybody up for another Baltimore meetup? This year it's Sept 8-10th-- DM me if interested and I'll reveal the secret meeting location.
No crab cakes this time!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Anybody up for another Baltimore meetup? Really looking forward to this years show.
This time it's Sept 8-10th-- DM me if interested and I'll reveal the secret meeting location.
No crab cakes this time!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I used to live in Baltimore when in college. William Donald Schaefer was mayor at the time. Visited Baltimore again about seven years ago and was shocked to see how bad the city had deteriorated since those days.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Not a good place to go for a walk at night-- but if you stay near the con and the crowds you're almost okay-- although I was in a crowd of folks who had to spend three hours filling out police reports after witnessing a serious crime, so if you go be smart.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

😞