Can we finally put to rest....

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.

DC ACTUALLY DOES LOVE THE '66 BATMAN

YES- I'm convinced!
82%
NO - This is all some trick!
18%

Total votes: 22

AndyFish

Can we finally put to rest....

Post by AndyFish »

...the idea that DC Comics has something against "our" version of Batman? Here's the front page of DCComics.com today.

I've been saying for years that there has never been any ill will-- I've been in the offices when editors had the TV Series on (yes watching bootlegs -- gasp!) -- there is and always has been an appreciation for the Adam West Batman.

The digital comic book is on sale today too-- I read it-- it's close to the classic Batman TV show-- and yes I'm offended they didn't invite me to work on it-- it would have been on the money then-- but it's very cool nonetheless.
Attachments
66BATdc.jpg
66BATdc.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
svl

Re: Can we finally put to rest....

Post by svl »

I was actually disappointed in the comic. Though it was nice to not have any "budgetary constraint issues" as there were with the show, I didn't feel the dialog was spot on (especially the Riddler's voicing), and was a bit non-plussed with the artwork (particularly the coloring- I really had hoped for that concept of IN COLOR so inherent in the show to be represented vibrantly here, but it was fairly muted). Also, because they are releasing it "serial style" in the digital format, some better planning in the script could have led to nice cliffhanger opportunities each week/"episode" (again, a nice homage to as it was in the show).

Still, it wasn't awful, and I'm glad it's in production. I'll be buying multiple hard copies on the 17th and hoping for improvements as time goes on. Would love to see you get a swing at an arc, Andy. Would also love to see my pal Alex Ross paint/oversee an issue, he is the perfect man for the job....
Prince Adam

Post by Prince Adam »

I liked it, and am just grateful that it exists. The use of words like "gosh" and "fiend" is awesome. comic books back to being lighthearted..Looking forward to the next one.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Good luck.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Thank you for posting this. I've never read any DC Comics because I'm a Marvel fan. The 66 Batman is the only one I like, and now after seeing this, I think I'd actually like to buy it and check it out. I can add it to my Amazing Spider-Man comic book collection. ;) Did you say the first hard copy of the issue will be available on July 17? Also, what is the series itself called? So I know what to look for in my local comic book store.
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Robin's Girl wrote:Also, what is the series itself called? So I know what to look for in my local comic book store.
It's called Batman '66.

http://www.readdcentertainment.com/Batm ... omic/43549
Johnny Hamm

Post by Johnny Hamm »

I just finished the first issue...who would of thought all these years later, it was just like being three again sitting in front of the old black and white. Looking forward to upcoming issues. ;)
High C

Post by High C »

I can't answer the poll question because I don't know yet. I, personally, will take a wait-and-see attitude. I don't like the idea of Killer Croc being in the second issue. I'd prefer it be for 1966 TV villains, both comic and Greenway-created (hmmm, I think we all know whom I would like to see eventually) and the ones who were around in the comics before or during the 1966-68 time frame but didn't get a shot, e.g. Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, etc.

So I will reserve judgment, at least for now.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

High C wrote: I don't like the idea of Killer Croc being in the second issue.
The folks at DC have already pushed that story and issue back for later use so that they could dedicate more of the classic characters first.
High C

Post by High C »

Scott Sebring wrote:
High C wrote: I don't like the idea of Killer Croc being in the second issue.
The folks at DC have already pushed that story and issue back for later use so that they could dedicate more of the classic characters first.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, Scott. I'm glad to hear that. Maybe that means they are being receptive to the preferences of the '66 fans.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

High C wrote:
Scott Sebring wrote:Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, Scott. I'm glad to hear that. Maybe that means they are being receptive to the preferences of the '66 fans.
Seems so. Keep in mind, since the story and art were well underway, this one may get released a little earlier than some other characters (like issue 6 or something like that, maybe). Another note is that story is supposed to be more focused around King Tut rather than Croc.
High C

Post by High C »

Scott Sebring wrote:
High C wrote:
Scott Sebring wrote:Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, Scott. I'm glad to hear that. Maybe that means they are being receptive to the preferences of the '66 fans.
Seems so. Keep in mind, since the story and art were well underway, this one may get released a little earlier than some other characters (like issue 6 or something like that, maybe). Another note is that story is supposed to be more focused around King Tut rather than Croc.
Yeah, I read that it was more a Tut story. And I will say that they at least are paying attention to the show, considering Tut had a pit full of crocodiles in one ep. So there is a connection.

batfan67

Post by batfan67 »

I loved the format they used where the story unfolds in the panel as you swipe. It had a feel of watching the show instead of just reading. I enjoyed it. I'm going to buy the physical copies too.

Mike
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Sorry, but DC has a heck of a long way to go to convince me about Batman. They've removed the character in the comics so far from the look and mythology that I don't even recognize him anymore. The fact that they cater to a niche crowd (you can read them on other boards slagging anything '66 or before the "Miller makeover") shows they don't have much respect for the character as far as I see it. The DC honchos can say whatever they want as they always appear to only say what they think whomever wants to hear at that given point, but actions speak louder than words and since 2000 I have given up listening to or buying them. I will buy the '66 comic and items along with certain other Bat-items for my collection (my rule: No yellow oval - no buy!), but at this point I see them simply testing it as a marketing option considering they haven't been doing too well elsewhere having driven a lot of fans away from the genre. :(
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

High C wrote:hmmm, I think we all know whom I would like to see eventually
In the NYPost interview, writer Jeff Parker specifically mentions that he is working on a story featuring Siren.