Batman Series featured on SDCC DC Giveaway

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Robin Holyisms

Re: Batman Series featured on SDCC DC Giveaway

Post by Robin Holyisms » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm

AndyFish wrote:Nope I would be inclined to believe it will be either a straight WB release or a joint one with Fox. What's the deal with the bag? It says Warner Bros on the side-- so what connection does WB have if not this? So while I'm skeptical and I cannot believe how cold the news is all of a sudden, the WB panel still holds hope. But as I said in an earlier post, I'm done playing this. I've been told by ridiculously knowledgable sources that things are worked out, but I'm done speculating. Trust me, I would not have posted anything were I not convinced. So if I'm wrong, shame on me.
Are DreamWorks Classics still involved as well?, Because I was told in an email by Deboroah Dozier that she sold the Dozier half of the rights to the show to Classic Media. And I then learned from Scott that DreamWorks Classics bought out Classic Media in July 2012.
Scott Sebring
Reply #23 - 08/30/12 at 7:01pm

The non secret type stuff is out there.

Okay. Check out the main players.

DC owns the character Batman

WB owns home video distribution to the character Batman

FOX and Greenway Productions were partnered equally in owning the TV series (not just Fox) but the video distribution for home video was never defined so they can't release it without working it out with WB. Fox doesn't move without Greenway and vice versa in regards to the show.

Greenway Productions was bought out by Classic Media about a year and a half ago. So Fox and Classic Media were then the current partners in the Batman series, The Green Hornet, etc...

Classic Media was just bought out by Dreamworks last month (the ink isn't even dry.)

So now you have Dreamworks in the pie instead of Classic Media.

Lets' see. So amongst the key players NOW, we have WB, Fox and Dreamworks. Each probably wants control of the series but I'm sure Dreamworks isn't going to make a move on ANYTHING until well after they have taken hold of Classic Media's business interests and have made the transition. I figure getting Batman to DVD is not on their current short list of things to do.

Someday, one day but don't over simplify the scenario.
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 5945142/15

batfatty

Post by batfatty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 pm

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/saturday

Scroll down the schedule to 4:15pm at the above link and you'll see a mysterious 20 Century Fox panel listed.

Maybe there?

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 am

batfatty wrote:http://www.comic-con.org/cci/saturday

Scroll down the schedule to 4:15pm at the above link and you'll see a mysterious 20 Century Fox panel listed.

Maybe there?
Very interesting. We'll see today at 4:15Pm then.

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:13 am

It's 1 1/2 hours long. So we eastern time zone folks will hear it in 12 hours or so. What to do until then?

Ps, that section had a different description earlier. Here is ts/was
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80065

Note the cancellation notice.

I only noticed it due to the Superman 75th anniversary discussion right below it.

Maybe nothing, or something.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:52 am

Still many mysteries-- but Saturday is not normally a hot news day-- but my money is on the WB panel if anything-- I'm not sure what Fox could release-- WB owns the home video rights for Batman HOWEVER, Sony put out BATMAN (1943) because those films were owned by Columbia which was later bought by Sony.

SO... questions....

That would not explain the giveaway bag that is designed to look like a DVD box, has WB on the spine and matches another bag that IS for a DVD release that was announced.

What is WB promoting with this bag? Shirts? That just seems unlikely.

Where in the world is Adam West?
Is he under an umbrella in Palm Springs with his wife's new dog?
Has he decided to skip the show altogether? I find that pretty hard to believe since he's a fixture there.
So IF he is there why the secrecy? Why no Tweets since the Fourth of July? I don't have FB so I have no idea if he's more active there.

Yes, the Batmobile was spotted there but Jared Barris was promoting his Batmobile pickup truck conversion so it might just have been one of the many replicas in California-- plus this is comic con after all, if you own a Batmobile you might be inclined to drive it down there.

So there are more questions than answers-- and I still go all the way back to that bag. There is no way that was not created for a DVD promotion-- it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Some of the other posters have pointed out the merchandise is the thing here-- and you know I agree. I NEVER in a million years would have expected an official Batman '66 action figure and there it is sitting on my shelf five feet from me.

I'm thrilled to have this other stuff--- and honestly, I love the show but even if it gets officially released I'm not going to watch it everyday.

droboogie

Post by droboogie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 am

Andy,
WB reps have gone on record on the Home Theater Forum in the past saying that if the series were to be released, it would come from Fox, not Warner.

I wish I shared your optimism, but I don't see this happening now. Ron Epstein, owner of HTF, posted today that there will not be an announcement of the series in the next several months (in response to a suggestion that maybe an announcement would come at the NYCC in the fall).

One extra that I want to see on an eventual release is a documentary on what it took to release it!

Johnny Hamm

Post by Johnny Hamm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:46 am

It's funny how you change over time...VHS, DVD, blu ray once topped my list. Now most all of the movies or series I purchase are digital. Easy storage and conviently available to your television and other multiple devices. Not to say I wouldn't pick up a set if the series were released...I mean how many years have we been waiting? How many times have we gotten our hopes up only to be thwarted by the most sinister villain of all? Too many to mention, but with all the new deals in place maybe it won't be too much longer? Andy brought up another interesting item...what if Mr. West were to be cast in the proposed Batman Beyond? How cool would that be? With his acting chops I can just see him as a cantankerous Bruce Wayne training a new Batman. I have to repeat, how cool would that be? But for today I guess we'll wait and see, I'm hopeful that whatever, if any announcement that's made will be something cool. ;)
aka...JL

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:04 am

From a personal e-mail from TVshowsondvd.com this morning, regarding the 4:15 session...
"I've heard from both Fox and Warner, no announcement is coming for the show.

Gord"

Let's talk about that great SDCC bag and how we are left holding it.

Gord Lacey

Post by Gord Lacey » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:28 am

Hey guys, I figured I'd join the forum to post, since there's so much discussion over the show coming to DVD/BD, and the bag.

All these rumors are the result of a few unconnected things coupled with ongoing discussions between Warner and Fox to get this released, as well as poor reporting from some websites. The bag was designed by Warner Bros., Worldwide Television Marketing, which was mentioned on the DC blog post showing off the bag. That's the group that licenses out properties based on Warner properties, and is in charge of licensing out the Batman 66 stuff. It makes sense that they'd want to promote that. As for the bag looking like a DVD case... I completely disagree. I have yet to see a DVD case with the studio name in big bold letters on the site. That would also be really horrible artwork, there's no mention of "The Complete Series" or "Season 1," no DVD logo... it looks like a bag, nothing more.

The Blu-ray artwork started appearing online, but no one bothered to look into where it came from. While it's definitely professional, and very nice, I didn't think it was legit because of the size of the case. It's far too wide to be a current Blu-ray case. With 120 episodes, I'd expect to see a 10-disc set for the show if it were released on Blu-ray. Given the space-saving cases, and the lack of space at retailers, the box art that appeared online was far too large. A DVD set from 5 or 6 years ago, sure, but studios are releasing 8-disc sets in cases that take up an inch, and that looks to be about 2-2.5 inches.

I called people at Warner Bros (someone I've known for 10 years), and was told they don't have anything in the works, and I emailed someone I've known for years at Fox, and told the same thing. There's nothing planned for Comic Con. With that said, we know the two companies are working on it, because they'd be stupid not to be; there's too much money sitting on the table (the problem is with dividing that money up).

It's too bad things got out of control and everyone was let down. The websites reporting the rumors certainly didn't help; instead of looking into things, they simply posted the rumors. It's frustrating when people are just looking for clicks and links instead of verifying the information they're posting.

What I'd ultimately like to see is Warner and Fox agree to license it to a third party to release on home video. I think that would result in the best set for fans of the show.

Gord Lacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

epaddon

Post by epaddon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 am

I reiterate what I said a couple days ago. SHAME to the studio for promoting a load of hype surrounding this convention and not coming through and worst of all continuing this endless game of no candor regarding the status of where negotiations are. I'm saying this as someone who to put it bluntly, aside from purchasing the Batman 66 comic book, has zero interest in any kind of merchandise because the series on DVD is at least something I can see a practical reason for utilizing again whereas merchandise in the toy realm serves zero purpose in my life. So I feel a lot more angry about this than those who can take comfort in the fact that a gaggle of merchandise is coming out. To me, the presence of this merchandise *without* a DVD release of the series comes off more as the ultimate insult and I'd almost prefer we didn't have this other stuff which for me calls attention even more to the fact of what we don't have. That's just my two cents.

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 am

Greatful for all the stuff that IS coming out-- and for my fellow batfans who share my enthusiasm for it.
The show will eventually be available and I'll buy it in whatever form that is-- probably implanted on the inside of my eyelids or something.

High C

Post by High C » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am

epaddon wrote:I reiterate what I said a couple days ago. SHAME to the studio for promoting a load of hype surrounding this convention and not coming through and worst of all continuing this endless game of no candor regarding the status of where negotiations are. I'm saying this as someone who to put it bluntly, aside from purchasing the Batman 66 comic book, has zero interest in any kind of merchandise because the series on DVD is at least something I can see a practical reason for utilizing again whereas merchandise in the toy realm serves zero purpose in my life. So I feel a lot more angry about this than those who can take comfort in the fact that a gaggle of merchandise is coming out. To me, the presence of this merchandise *without* a DVD release of the series comes off more as the ultimate insult and I'd almost prefer we didn't have this other stuff which for me calls attention even more to the fact of what we don't have. That's just my two cents.
What he said. I don't begrudge the people who enjoy the toys or the Barbie dolls or the action figures, etc. But that's not what I'm interested in. I want to see more issues of the comic because it's like new adventures of the show itself, yet what I most want to see is a pristine set of the episodes without logos in the bottom right-hand corner.

It would be nice to have these DVDs or whatevers released while at least a few of the actors are still around to enjoy their well-deserved victory lap, and to provide their insights on commentary tracks, etc.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

The Booking Worm

Post by The Booking Worm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:14 am

For what it's worth, people within Diamond still think it's being announced, unless they haven't gotten the memo that it's not.

As for who will release it, if and when it is released, I would bet on WB. These legal rights become a lot less complicated when people are willing to start spending money, which is exactly what WB started doing a year ago. Dreamworks bought Classic Media because of all the children's IP that could be developed for animation purposes, but they were also left with a few stragglers that weren't worth anything to them, namely a portion of rights to the 66 Batman show. So it would make total sense for them to sell off their portion of these properties that they can't do anything with. This part is pure speculation on my end, but I imagine they have already sold off their portion of the rights to either WB or Fox, and going by the past years worth of developments all signs point to WB being the most interested in them. That would put them in a much better bargaining position. They now have the home video rights to the characters and partial ownership of the show. At that point its simply settling Fox out of their portion, or cutting them in for a small piece.

Fox and WB have said in the past that Fox would most likely put out the show, but things have changed since then. As with Marvel's situation with Marvelman/Miracleman, all you have to do is start spending money to start untangling a legal mess.

It's all up for grabs to whoever wants it most.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:34 am

AndyFish wrote:Greatful for all the stuff that IS coming out-- and for my fellow batfans who share my enthusiasm for it.
Amen to that. I just ordered another Batman and robin set for the Batmobile. Now to figure out what to move out of the curio cabinet to make room. :D ;) :D

LizardKing7371

Post by LizardKing7371 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 am

I'm a part-time figure collector. At first I was excited about all the Batman stuff coming out and what I was going to get. Now with the show still not on DVD I lost all enthusiasm. Just not feeling spending $ on toys to sit on a shelf. Would rather have the DVD's. I have a great set of them but an official release is what needs to happen. I'll go back to collecting my Randy Savage WWE figures from Mattel and will wait and see what happens with Batman. How the hell do you do all this hype and promo and not have the show on DVD as part of it? Fail.