Batman 66 Halloween costumes

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
HelloJodi

Re: Batman 66 Halloween costumes

Post by HelloJodi »

I received my second costume in the mail and the quality is markedly improved. Though both gloves are still right handed, the cowl has ears and the entire fit is just plain better. The legs are not intensely long on this one and the utility belt is not obscenely large.
Batgirl costume by HelloJodi, on Flickr

The cape is really awesome
Batgirl cape by HelloJodi, on Flickr

I also got really lucky finding these boots for cheap on eBay - originally $500+ Marc Jacobs, $5 on eBay. I love eBay.
Batgirl boots by HelloJodi, on Flickr

Still white-knuckling it on the Batman costume...
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Wow, great find on the purple boots!

This costume looks so much better than I think we were expecting around here.

Did you exchange it for the same size?? I guess typical Rubies quality control would account for the size discrepancies...

Glad it worked out for you this time! Thanks for sharing!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
HelloJodi

Post by HelloJodi »

Yes, I exchanged it for the same size. It is much smaller fitting this time, which was what I expected. The quality is really great. The cape collar is my favorite detail, of all the silly little things. But it is hard to get collars to lay flat, especially with all that fabric pulling on the back. I'm thrilled with it. :) And because the 1st costume was such a wreck, buy costumes gave me a bigger discount on the second one.
ilromanista

Post by ilromanista »

Thanks for posting these great pics. The quality of the costume appears better than I was anticipating. How sturdy is the belt? I am presently awaiting my Batman suit which was supposed to ship on Sept 16. I have since received notice that due to supply issues, it won't ship until Oct 4. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader »

Just a quick note to show what Target is charging for these costumes...

1966 BATMAN costumes @ Target!

It looks like Batgirl and Riddler are available for purchase on-line.

It also looks like "chetchumley" & "HelloJodi" got some AWESOME deals on the Batgirl one! :)
wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

These guys seem to have the best prices that I've found on the '66 Bat costumes:

http://search.costumesupercenter.com/se ... &image.y=0

They have Batgirl and the Riddler as well. I'm not sure why they don't show up in this search. Batman and the Joker are showing Out of Stock right now, but if they get more (and they end up looking good), I'll probably get it from these guys. I ordered from them last year and didn't have any problems.
antman67

Post by antman67 »

I NEED to get me one of those Batman costumes!
I have always wanted a class 66 Batman but Still, $100 buck is a lot though.
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

The Riddler costume I ordered arrived and its actually not completely terrible, for a Halloween in a bag costume it's actually better than most. My husband likes it, he tried it on and it actually does get the 66 Riddler look across fairly decently-- it actually is pretty cool, and would be a neat Halloween costume for example. It came in a big box, the costume and pieces were packed in a plastic garment bag (the garment bag had been slashed with a box cutter at some point looks like on the one I received, I was worried that the costume would be damaged but looks like it escaped damage). The costume included a gold plastic riddler style cane (pretty sure it's the one that Rubies has been selling separately for last few years, not really a 1966 accessory but it was included), the green bodysuit which is a little bit too shiny and thin to look completely correct and not quite the right green color but gets the general look across-- it has a flimsy zipper in the back that I recommend being very careful with, thin light lavender purple gloves, a foam backed light lavender colored mask, and a light lavender colored Riddler waist cincher girdle belt thing that velcros. I recommend being very careful with the mask for example, the thin foam backing is already tearing a bit just handling it, and being very careful with the Velcro on the belt as it could snag the bodysuit very easily. The mask and belt had heavy creasing from the way it was packed crumpled in a plastic bag in the packaging, not sure if I will be able to steam those out with my garment steamer, the fabric is a cheap thin polyester type material with weird foam backing, may be permanent-- pretty sure attempting to iron it would melt it. The "standard size" costume fit my husband, but the belt wasn't adjustable, if the person was much larger or smaller wouldn't have fit them. May end up replacing the gloves, mask, and belt with better quality looking ones. Definitely would recommend wearing layers underneath the bodysuit, it's unlined and very very thin fabric.

Overall, although I point out various flaws above it is a neat Halloween-style costume, better than I expected. I got free shipping and used discount codes, got a really good deal on it. For the price, it's a fun costume to own. Glad I bought it, we will have it available for use for our sketch comedy tv show and for additional group member costumes when we do appearances as Batman and Robin, etc.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Thanks for the in depth review! Any photos to come?
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

We didn't take any photos we he tried it on when it first arrived, but can.

The one thing I forgot to mention is that the costume doesn't come with the green trunks that the 1966 Batman series Riddler wore as part of the costume-- they aren't part of the Rubies costume design even though it was part of the iconic costume in the show and movie. It's weird they include the gold cane but not the trunks. I recommend buying dance or cheerleading briefs/trunks, and using those. The color of the bodysuit is a bright kelly green, and you can usually get dance briefs in a pretty close color off the shelf or online in a variety of sizes pretty easily-- some brands are Capezios, Danskins, Body Wrappers-- the costume looks odd without them, and if people wear the Rubies Riddler costume out of the package without also wearing additional layers underneath (long sleeve and long pants cycling or dance tights like Batman Bat Tights or under armor type clothes or another bodysuit) or the riddler trunks/briefs might actually end up being overly revealing, it is such thin material.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Well, I received my Batgirl costume yesterday, and it has to go right back for exchanging, also.

The male part of the velcro that fastens the cowl together under the hair was turned back and stuck to the inside of the face mask, so trying to disengage it shredded the (incredibly cheap and delicate) cowl lining to bits! AND it had two left handed gloves!

It's too bad that Rubies has such poor quality control - imagine how many of these come back because they're damaged or have something wrong with them! I would think it would be more profitable in the long run to make a decent product that DOESN'T have problems!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I was expecting mine this week and am hoping that these retailers aren't 'ebay-ing' the Batman costumes and making everyone who ordered via their websites wait for the next batch.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

Just got shipment notifications for the Batgirl and the Joker ones I ordered out of curiousity, and to see them for myself in person and possibly have them available for stunt-type costumes for our show cast members to easily put on and wear for stuff we do like comedy sketches etc to complement our handcrafted Batman and Robin costumes, with minimal effort and not having to worry about the costumes if they did get damaged (I don't have high hopes, setting expectations very very very low-- wish the execution was better but it's the industry norm for these sorts of off the rack mass market licensed Halloween type costumes sadly). Remember always to google for coupon codes, or even sign up for the newsletter of the costume websites if you don't mind the emails, to get free shipping and a good discount off-- when I bought mine I was able to easily get at least 20-26% off or more plus free shipping on each one of the costumes, with codes. Also, of you shop around on google you'll find the listed prices vary, some sites list the various costumes for significantly less than others, so when you use a discount code plus get it from the cheaper site you end up paying half the price of the other sites for the same product.

One thing I can stress, from seeing the Riddler costume firsthand, is that making your own Batcostumes from scratch or putting together from a variety of sources or commissioning pieces from the talented costume makers on this board will always lead to an infinitely higher quality and sturdier costume than these licensed mass produced cheaply costume-in-a-bags will . These are convenient (you can buy it wth the click of a button, from a variety of sources and it shows up on your doorstep hopefully in wearable condition) but ultimately very flimsy and disposable and fragile. I imagine most people wearing them out actively for a Halloween night will likely get one wearing out of them, before they start to fall apart. The are actually pretty neat-- hey, makes it very accessible to your average Joe which has never been before, ever-- no product like this has ever been available, and putting on these costumes which are decent likenesses of the iconic show costumes is magical. For these sort of Halloween costumes of this type (quality issues and production issues aside, which are completely typical of this type of product for whatever industry accepted and consumer tolerated reasons), these are mindblowingly amazing. 1966 BATMAN COSTUMES!

There are tricks a person could do to improve the looks of the costumes if wearing them, it seems. The unlined riddler costume as an example would look infinitely better if worn with base garments made of thicker fabric and a pair of added green trunks/briefs (like the 1966 Riddler always wore, over the leggings). Worn out of package as many people will most likely, it's very very thin and not as flattering and doesn't give quite the right silhouette, because of its thin cheap shiny base fabric. The mask and belt come with horrible creasing from being jammed into the plastic packaging, and the weird foam backing makes the creasing heavy and likely either permanent or hard to get out. I imagine most people will wear it that way, and many won't care-- it's not as important to them. But it does make it look cheap and a bit odd, and could had been avoided by using a different less cheap material. The Velcro closure plus the thin cheap material used on these costumes seems like an imminent disaster waiting to happen--if the Velcro closure hooks touch that low quality thin fabric it tears it to shreds very easily, people need to be very careful putting them on which they won't necessarily be, and the costumes won't necessarily be packed carefully either.

In all, they made them and I willingly bought them, and am not surprised by the flaws which were totally expected. I still think they are kind of neat, just as a thing that was made and exists. We will carefully use them, and have fun with them. I would have killed for these as a kid, infinitely better than the mass produced dimestore plastic Ben Cooper apron and mask nonsense that passed for Halloween costumes as a child in my youth. Wish the industry was better, and consumers in general (the market) demanded more of their Halloween costumes but sadly the general public doesn't and this is what we have.

It makes me feel really good about every penny I've ever spend on lovingly handcrafted tailored pieces made by hardworking artisans, and really appreciate those purchases even more.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

HerryGrail wrote:The Joker is not easy to find online and it says it's not shipping till the end of September...that's pretty late.

Has anyone seen these in stores? Like those big seasonal Halloween stores that open in empty retail spaces? I'd like to see it in person, but I'm wondering why such a late release date.

i thought they may show up in SPIRIT HALLOWEEN shops also....but they are only available thru their website so far.
antman67

Post by antman67 »

All the review are very helpful = THANK YOU

I wonder if what the Catwoman costume is like?
Batman Classic 1966 Series Grand Heritage Catwoman Adult Costume
Yes, PLEASE people, take photos of them on. I'd really like to see what they look like. The descriptions are pretty good. I may just break down and buy one. Batman of course.
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too