Batman 66 Halloween costumes

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
HelloJodi

Re: Batman 66 Halloween costumes

Post by HelloJodi »

rickrickrick wrote:AND it had two left handed gloves!
DUDE! If you get 2 lefties again mail me one and I'll mail you a rightie, since I have 2 of those. :)
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Oh, I thought you exchanged yours and got that taken care of. I re-read your posts, and saw that is not the case.

Well, if it happens to me again, I will let you know! I'm sort of hoping it's all okay this next time!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
HelloJodi

Post by HelloJodi »

I exchanged and got a better costume but still 2 right handed gloves.
antman67

Post by antman67 »

2 right hand gloves? Wow, that is horrible. I just can't see myself spending $100+ and that type of quality. I think I'm going to buy the correct color leotard/tights and try making my own. I have had some success in the past.
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too
njboywonder

Post by njboywonder »

FYI, particularly with regard to MH's posts, I happen to have a pair of cheerleading briefs that I dyed Kelly green for an early version of my Riddler costume. They're a medium but of course stretch. The (albeit very fine) white stitching did not take the dye but since I assume that would be an issue for any pair anyone else would dye, it's mostly mute.

If anyone (in the US) would like them, I'd send them off in an envelope and you can send me a check for just the shipping cost.

Brett
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Got my replacement Batgirl costume today.

Hooray - both a right and a left glove! And the velcro isn't all stuck to the inside of the cowl.

So, I think I'm finally good to go.

This is just for display. Looks like it's gonna be a while before I get time to put it on the mannequin, but when I do, I'll post pics.

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

No 1966 related Batman costumes by Rubies in any Halloween shop in Tucson. No one even knows what I'm talking about.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

The Batgirl and the Joker costumes I ordered arrived yesterday. The Batgirl costume I received came with two right handed gloves, which seems to be a recurring theme here-- no quality control whatsoever, total gamble what you get in the package when it arrives. Funny enough, they are sewn so wonky and are stretchy enough that the wrong glove can be worn on the wrong hand if you twist it a bit (looks a bit strange though), might end up doing that rather than send it back and risk getting something worse.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Well, Rubie's has these on their site:

http://www.rubiesuk.com/batman-adult-gr ... ge-costume

But, I really wanted to see them in person say at Party City.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I haven't found any place that is selling Batman in-house. Right now, all the websites I've been visiting are saying it's either out of stock or not available at this time.

Moxieheart, are you sending just the wrong glove back or do they make you send the whole outfit?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail »

moxieheart wrote:The Batgirl and the Joker costumes I ordered arrived yesterday.
So how is the Joker one?? Thanks!
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

I got really good deals with promotional coupon code deals and free shipping on the costumes I bought, did not pay anywhere near full retail price on any of the three outfits-- definitely recommend looking for sales and shopping around for lower prices on the various sites and discount codes.

The Joker one gets the look across. It's not a real, tailored structured suit, but looks like the Joker from 50 feet. It comes in a plastic garment bag on a hanger like the other costumes in this line. Instead of there being a real shirt, there is a Velcro green circle fake shirt dickie thing with a collar and an attached ribbon tie (the ribbon is the cheapest quality stiff, cheapo ribbon I have ever encountered, sort of a plasticky paper like material) that you are supposed to Velcro around your neck draped on your upper chest to give the illusion of Joker's shirt. When tried on, it tends to pop out of the vest. Definitely recommend replacing with a real shirt, and possibly considering upgrading to a nicer ribbon tie if wearing. At the very least a real shirt needs to be worn underneath. The jacket is thin floppy fabric, has a separate vest that has nonfuctional buttons sewn on that actually velcros shut with hidden Velcro tabs, the jacket and vest are partially lined in places with a cheap satin type shiny pink fabric, the partial lining does help (wish the sleeves had some sort of lining to give them structure). The jacket has sewn in fake green shirt cuffs at the sleeves. The pants are a one size fits all elastic waist pull on pants in a thin fabric, sort of like pull on pajama pants with printed on stripes instead of sewn on middy braid like in the show. I got the standard size, would probably fit around a men's size M-L, *maybe* a smaller XL. The gloves are basic cheap gloves, in a matching color. It doesn't come with a wig.

The stitching on this costume is actually slightly nicer than other Rubies costumes I've seen in the past, and the fabric--although very cheap and somewhat low quality fabric-- is less shiny, they used a more matte fabric to approximate the look of suiting fabric (it's not anywhere near as nice as fabric that actual suits are made of though, they used thin cheapo fabric its just less shiny than what they usually use) than what Rubies Halloween costumes are usually made of, which helps a lot with the overall look. The buttons, although nonfunctional, are actually sewn on the costume I received fairly sturdily which isn't always the case with these types of mass produced costumes. The lining fabric they used is very cheap as well, but the lined parts do help immensely with this one especially with the jacket. What it is missing most is the tailored structure that an actual jacket and pants have-- but a custom tailored high-quality suit would be very expensive and this isn't that type of product.

For a budget Halloween grade costume 1966 Joker (again, recommend shopping around and using online sales and discount codes to advantage), it really isn't bad, definitely workable as a starting point as a budget readily available off the rack alternative to an actual custom tailcoat suit. I'm not a fan of the fake shirt, but that is easily fixed. The silhouette isn't a tailored structured suit, it's floppier thin Halloween costume weight fabric (improved slightly by some lining in this costume unlike the others)-- it's like a pajama version of an actual suit. But that's if you're nitpicky, and have a close eye for detail. It's definitely not an actual suit suit, it's a Rubies mass market quality Halloween costume knock-off interpretation of a suit-- knew that going in so am not disappointed, was expecting it. It's a fun costume, and I like it and with a few improvements it will work well as a "stunt" type costume to have around for our show.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I recall in one of the new 66 merchandise threads something about Rubie's making a utility belt and Batarang. I can't seem to locate that post. Or was I just dreaming?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
moxieheart

Post by moxieheart »

That was Matty Collector, not Rubies. Matty Collector makes adult collector replicas of props and adult collector lines of toys from movies and other pop culture lines. Known for their Ghostbuster stuff, Masters of the Universe, etc. While not usually 100% screen accurate (from their Ghostbuster prop stuff which I own) with manufacturing compromises and production decisions (making out of plastic instead of metal, stuff like that) and substitutions that deviate from the originals, it is usually pretty cool as fun replica prop toys and higher quality than the Halloween grade stuff Rubies puts out.

Here's a past thread on that http://66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 40&p=14299
HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail »

Wow, thanks Moxieheart for that great review!!