'66 Newspaper Strip Collections by IDW

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Jace

Re: '66 Newspaper Strip Collections by IDW

Post by Jace »

i pre-ordered the book. can't wait to see the strips, and those tv tie-in bits look cool :)
High C

Post by High C »

batbelfry wrote:They've uploaded a preview of this book to Amazon. Looks like there'll be a lot of tie-ins with the tv show, even though the book is primarily reprinting newspaper strips:
Thanks for the preview. I'll be interested to find out who that other villainess in that pic is. Obviously I recognize CW and Ivy.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

My copy of the book has been shipped! Should arrive tomorrow or Saturday and I will be looking forward to it.

The other villainess is "Madame Zodiac" and her story won't appear until the second volume. Let's hope this entire series gets fast-tracked to full release over the course of a year or so.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Got notified mine's is on the way too. Should be receiving it today or Monday. In the words of Bizarro - "Me so happy!" :D
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Mine's arrived! The presentation is outstanding and already I can safely say that the stories are much more entertaining than the current Batman 66 comic, in part because as a newspaper strip, the stories have more time to breathe. That's even true of the separate Sunday weekly stories that ran for the six months of the strip.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

When will it be available in the book stores?
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

This is the publication street date, so theoretically it's available now though most stores might not have it unless you make an order request.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Thank You.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I was going to pass but after looking thru the preview Amazon had up I went ahead and ordered it. Amazon is usually a week or two behind stores. Likely easier to find in a good comic shop rather than a Barnes and noble.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Going through this was quite entertaining. You could see how the tone of the strip basically reacted to the tenor of the series and how after early on, when the popularity of the series was white-hot, the silly tone of a story (especially the Joker one) reached a peak with far too many gags of Batman acting square and Robin giving a "Gosh, Batman, you're right!" response (though never using that line) and then gradually started to dial itself back to what I feel was a far better middle ground of fun without silliness more in the tradition of S1.

The Poison Ivy story was very good and I especially enjoyed their alternate take on the origin of Batgirl which led to an unexpected plot development that the TV series would have been well-advised to have implemented from the outset! (won't say what to spoil the fun of reading it).

I will be looking forward to Volume 2! Three volumes overall will be planned. We're fortunate we're in an age where newspaper strip reprints have become more plentiful.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I just picked up my copy of this as well, and wanted to add another thumbs-up to anyone who was on the fence. IDW has produced a really great book. The strip reproductions are terrific, and there's a nice chunk of behind the scenes info.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I pre-ordered as well, but I'm just now getting around to posting. The book is well worth the money. A few of the stories are extremely goofy, but it is a very well assembled and contains lots of great information. My main complaint is that they chose to end the book at a certain date and not at the end of a story, so we won't see the resolution of the storyline if the books don't continue. Marvel was pretty bad about doing this in some of their essential books.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

For those of you who enjoyed the first volume, the second has been solicited on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Silver-New ... N029AXQNX2

No date yet, but they do have the cover art.

"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

SprangFan wrote:For those of you who enjoyed the first volume, the second has been solicited on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Silver-New ... N029AXQNX2

No date yet, but they do have the cover art.

I love the cover. Very much in the spirit of the mid sixties Batman.
Beneath Wayne Manor
riddler123

Post by riddler123 »

Can anyone tell me if the Riddler or Mr Freeze turn up over the 3 volumes?