Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Hedji

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by Hedji »

Yes, that sounds like a device specific screen setting.
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try on the weekend.

Also this weekend I think I'm going to have a Bat marathon before I put the unofficial collection away. I won't watch any Batman shows until I get my hands on the official DVD or Blu Ray.
The Booking Worm

Post by The Booking Worm »

4:3 is the aspect ration of the devil, no doubt about it. But sadly probably the best for old shows such as these.

With the recent merchandising push that's still continuing, someone at WB thinks this cow is still worth milking so I think we stand a good chance of getting a great transfer. Other classic shows with less brand recognition have been served well by the format. I expect we're in for a treat.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I have so many questions but it all boils down to we'll have to wait and see. But here's some to chew over:

1) Will the pilot episode have the Dozier narration over the opening scene or will it be the original with just the music?

2) Will the opening theme cartoon on the pilot be "off" on the trumpet blasts or will they finally fix that?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
svl

Post by svl »

I hope they don't "fix" anything. I want it warts and all, just like it originally aired....

Except of course polished up fro Blu-ray. :)
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

I am so so happy these are coming to dvd. As I mentioned on the main board, the episodes on this official release will be 100% in tact. I have this feeling what we will come to realize is that the studio masters set was the version that's been played through many television broadcasts, from Family channel all the way to the most recent "you too". The masters set already has cut scenes and it had been cut further to fit the channels format for which it was aired on. All this said the official release will hold many surprising Scenes that haven't been seen in three decades.

I pointed this out once before, I've determined that when I audio taped these eps (as a kid).there was a run time of 27 minutes per episode... the runtime on the studio masters set(of these episodes) are 25 minutes long. Whether it's snippets of dialogue, whole scenes, cut's in the batfight or the batmobile coming out or into the batcave, there are missing elements in every episode of the studio masters set...guaranteed.

These episodes WILL be played as they were aired originally, the pilot ep. will have the opening narration. As I also mentioned on the main board the in-color card maybe emited as Since WB is involved(and keeping up with the times)...WE KNOW the show is in color, we really don't need them...ofcourse though the in-color card is so trademark, they might be there, but the ABC logo on the SM dvd's definitely won't be..... and now that I think of it(with all the rights issues) I wonder if the 20'th century fox logo will still proceed the end credits.
jason75

Post by jason75 »

I thought all tv shows produced in the 1960's and early 70's ran 25 minutes. Where are you getting 27? and if this official release is 100% intact, then shouldn't it have the "batman in color" at the beginning of each episode? It is there on the studio masters.
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

Does anyone have a sense of how likely various extras might be? The two biggies I can think of are the Batgirl Pilot short and the ERA public service advertisement from the seventies, but I bet there are others for which we could hope. It would be nice to have this material in decent full-resolution.
High C

Post by High C »

Here's something about this very topic, Batman show length, that is:

http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/b ... mmercials/
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
jason75

Post by jason75 »

High C wrote:Here's something about this very topic, Batman show length, that is:

http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/b ... mmercials/
So what is the original running time? 25 min. or 27?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

My Bat Masters set, which I got sometime in the mid eighties from a pretty crazy source started with the generic title card white letters on black with BATMAN and the episode title, then the film lead countdown then the ABC logo and the In color frame, so they were definitely chained over from film and not taken from an on air showing. Those were on VHS and I long ago tossed them when my player went. I have no recollection if there was opening narration on the first episode, but I do remember it being different than the rest.

I do remember that those episode ran 27mins because in those days the player gave you info like that, but that included the film lead and all the other nonsense.

The DVD set I have now runs about 26min each if I remember correctly, but they are from a Canadian broadcast but exceptional quality on 32 discs.

Counting down the days until I can have em on Blu!
Andy
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

That_weirdo_Cage wrote:Does anyone have a sense of how likely various extras might be? The two biggies I can think of are the Batgirl Pilot short and the ERA public service advertisement from the seventies, but I bet there are others for which we could hope. It would be nice to have this material in decent full-resolution.
Yes on the old forums a member posted two behind the scenes video's, which could be included in a release of the series.

Batman BTS premier/1st episode 1966 (No Sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYEvhPCyocs

Batman Londinium Larcenies Slate-take Batmobile BTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOY3VnyVhjw

And during one of my searches on YouTube i came across an on set interview with Adam West. Sadly i can't remember what the title of the video was, and it'S not appearing in my watched video history anymore. BUT i did come across this image during a Google search yesterday.

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I too hope they leave the trumpet blasts the way they were. Anyone know WHY the sound was off on that anyway?

So, the narration over the first opening scene is correct? I thought the silence was correct. Anyone care to say?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Batguitarist wrote:I too hope they leave the trumpet blasts the way they were. Anyone know WHY the sound was off on that anyway?

So, the narration over the first opening scene is correct? I thought the silence was correct. Anyone care to say?

John
I believe the voice over was totally correct.

I made my rant over on another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2197&start=30#p19355
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Scott. I really can't say which way I remember that intro when I was a kid. I have heard that the one without narration is correct, so I just went with that, but now that I've heard your case, I tend to agree with you on this.

So, does anyone know why the opening to the 1st part credits has the trumpet blasts not matching the fight words? I do remember THAT from when I was little and remember asking my dad about it. His knowledge was based on the running of projectors way back when so forgive him his answer. He said the soundtrack was just off due to all the times the film had been run. I know he was not correct, but it would appear that way, huh?

John
Music. BAT! Music.