Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
John Mack

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by John Mack »

BATMITE: Then why does it say in the top right corner: "Ernest Borgnine on the set?" in white lettering?

Also, Marvel BH: I say Christmas per my post about 4 up from yours.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I think the Borgnine label is a mistake. That looks to me like Tut's Grand Vizier, Don "Red" Barry. He made a career of playing cowboys, but never got into Shame's gang. He did turn up again in Gotham, however, as Black Widow's henchman, Tarantula.

Cheers,

QQ
High C

Post by High C »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:I think the Borgnine label is a mistake. That looks to me like Tut's Grand Vizier, Don "Red" Barry. He made a career of playing cowboys, but never got into Shame's gang. He did turn up again in Gotham, however, as Black Widow's henchman, Tarantula.

Cheers,

QQ
Good catch. That makes sense.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
VABatfan

Post by VABatfan »

Batguitarist wrote:This is just a GUESS :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: but I think it will be around Christmas. I know that seems like a long time to wait, but considering I've wanted this since I saw the first VCR with a Goldfinger tape in a Curtis Mathis store in the mall in 1975, I think I can wait. This time will also give WB time to get thoughts on extras and make a great release.

BTW, is 20th Century Fox part of any of this? I find it odd the Mattel figures etc do not have a Fox logo the packaging. Did WB BUY the series from Fox, or what exactly happened here? :?:

John
I was reading one of the many articles that came out after Conan's tweet, and one of them mentioned a fall release. I would link to it, but it was a google search and I can't find it now.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Batguitarist wrote:BATMITE: Then why does it say in the top right corner: "Ernest Borgnine on the set?" in white lettering?

Also, Marvel BH: I say Christmas per my post about 4 up from yours.

John
That was some comment by the guy trying to sell the footage. It could have easily said Robert Redford. It's clearly wrong.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh well..that's all I had to go by.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
blackkeno

Post by blackkeno »

This is great, almost unbelievable news. I also hope the go with the best quality and most extras possible. I hope they don't either go least investment/maximum profit or dvd set now BR later (or extras later) so that those of us that are anxious don't end up buying two sets. (I have at least three of each of the Dark Knight Trilogy). I got the Get Smart set when it first came out. It was not in BR but had some nice extras.
batsman

Post by batsman »

I am concerned about this announcement.

This is going to annoy a lot of people on this board :

I would prefer not to have the series released on DVD or Blu-Ray.

When a TV show is announced for DVD, that usually means it is pulled from syndication.

That is not good for a show like Batman, as I would rather see it on television than own a DVD or Blu-Ray set, which may not be affordable for everyone.

WB, if they are the ones handling the release, has not given the right treatement to their older Bat-properties on home video in the past.

Quote from page 6:

>According to an "industry insider" on the Home Theater Forum, Warner is currently doing HD scans >from the original 35mm elements.
Hi Diddle.jpg
I do not like that image of Batman doing the Bat-Tusi on the Home Theater Forum. It seems
dark and saturated, as if someone smeared something and ran it through sandpaper. That is not what it is supposed to look like.

When was that scene, "always" supposed to be dark ? I do not want them going back to the murky source material.

That scene was never dark or murky to begin with. When Batman enters the night club:

"Gleeps, it's Batman!" the scene is clear, and the audience is supposed to know what is going on.

Batman is at a nightclub and the backdrop is bright, lively with music and people dancing.

"My drink, doped!" When Batman falls down, it is meant to be clear to the audience what's going on. If you make these scenes dark and murky, the original intent is lost and it might not be clear what's going on.

Bat-Fans need to make their concerns heard, and not let others who have only a casual interest in the series dictate what goes into this set.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

I have to think your opinion is in the minority. I'm not sure why you'd put such a negative twist on things after seeing only one frame, which isn't even from the set. While you're entitled to your opinion, most "Bat-Fans" are anxiously awaiting the release.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

Sorry, but I have to disagree with batsman completely.

There is no standing policy out there that dictates that shows being released to DVD are pulled from syndication. Look at your onscreen cable/satellite guide...the basic cable stations are literally littered with reruns of shows that are all out on DVD. Tons.

And I don't understand why anyone is basing their opinion of what the finished DVD or potential Blu-rays are going to look like based on one jpeg of a frame of film from someone's collection. That has no bearing whatsoever on what masters are being used to source these new discs, or what level of restoration or correction is being done in the mastering.

Batsman, you don't want the show released so that you can keep watching them where? Edited badly on TV Land, or sped up on The HUB? I can't imagine.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I can't think of a single show that's been pulled from syndication once it's released on DVD. As it stands is BATMAN on anything besides ME-TV right now? While I'm happy to watch it there, I'm looking forward to the uncut non sped up episodes these DVDs will offer.

WB has been one of the better outfits in terms of respecting it's home video releases, and I'm glad they ended up with it.

As for the murkiness of the still, I agree you can't base an opinion on a single frame, but I think that one looks great, the colors are rich and vibrant and the blacks solid.
batsman

Post by batsman »

Why the concern, and the issue over a "single frame" ?

Warner's listens to the Home Theater Forum a lot. They frequently host Warner's as guests on their chats, and the posters on that board, have a big say. What they say is listened to, a lot.

When they were reissuing Superman: The Movie back in 2006, there was a large contingent of people on that board who clamoured for the Fleischer cartoons to be part of the Superman set.

Warner's agreed, and put them on the set. Some of the cartoons ended up with the wrong introduction put on the front of them. That was not good, because the only place that introduction belongs is in the first short, "Superman" and that was it. Yet it was placed in front of some of the other shorts.

The Superman Serials with Kirk Alyn, issued at the same time, had an odd issue : The serials have an amazing introduction, complete with an comic book opening and then the title, Superman.

What they did, to save space on the DVD's, was to keep only one of those introductions and omit the rest for the other chapters. On the VHS version which Warner's released in the past, each chapter had the complete introduction. Even if they wanted to save disc space, that is not acceptable, because even if the introduction is exactly the same for each chapter, they should not omit the other ones to save space.

So to say that Warner's "always does a good job" is a mistake. When people talk about these concerns, some very loud users on the Home Theater Forum often shut them down, because they don't want people being too critical of Warner's.

When someone posts a still, and when lots of people suggest that is how the scans are going to look, that is usually what ends up being released, and that is concerning.

The issue that Batman might be pulled from syndication/broadcast :

I have noticed it in my area, though if you have satellite and can get MeTV or TV Land, perhaps it is being shown. I don't receive these stations, and I have noticed in my area, no Batman.

In the past, I have noticed that when shows that are released on DVD, they are not usually shown anymore, because the reason given is, "Go buy the DVD set"

Hopefully, this will not be the case with Batman.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I agree with batsman...WB will not be trolling the web for Batman sites to see what the fans want. We must go to them. So here's the URL. Join. Be heard!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/

Also, ask them to change the box art on their June 3rd release of the Filmation series!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
batsman

Post by batsman »

Some other concerns:

>And I don't understand why anyone is basing their opinion of what the finished DVD or potential
>Blu-rays are going to look like based on one jpeg of a frame of film from someone's collection. That >has no bearing whatsoever on what masters are being used to source these new discs, or what level >of restoration or correction is being done in the mastering.

What masters? Which elements? What are the sources being used? Batfans need to ask about this, because this is a question no one is willing to answer.

When somebody asks "What is the condition of the original prints?" the topic always seems to drift to the "bootleg" set and nobody on the board, or anywhere, wants to talk about this.

Sometimes, the answer is the film material "no longer exists" because it was disposed of, or the elements are in such poor shape they are not useable.

In another post here on the Bat-Board, there was a poster who suggests that the "original elements" are being scanned in 4K. That poster also posted the same frame, strongly suggesting, as other posters have, that is what it is going to look like. I'm concerned, because that is not what it is supposed to look like.

>As for the murkiness of the still, I agree you can't base an opinion on a single frame, but I think that >one looks great, the colors are rich and vibrant and the blacks solid.

That is not what it is supposed to look like. That scene is not meant to be super dark, with rich, dark colors. The point of the scene is to contrast with what is going on outside the club.

Jill St. John: "... like the music, and the dance" the scene is lively, there is a band playing in the background. It is not a shadowy night club, the scene was lit that way.

>I have to think your opinion is in the minority. I'm not sure why you'd put such a negative twist on >things after seeing only one frame, which isn't even from the set. While you're entitled to your >opinion, most "Bat-Fans" are anxiously awaiting the release.

I want to see Batman in the best possible version. So far, things suggest something different.

It needs to be done right.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

This is probably too bright but does highlight objects in the background. Somewhere in between might be appropriate.
Attachments
Hi Diddle.jpg
Hi Diddle.jpg (215.36 KiB) Viewed 5817 times