Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Gadgeteer

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by Gadgeteer »

This is the ONLY show I would buy right out of the gate!
DVD and then BRD, THIS I won't wait for!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd expect it to be $150 but with DVD sales falling every week in favor of streaming services I wouldn't be surprised of they have a price point under $100. Really surprised they aren't doing it as three sets but maybe they realize no one would buy season three (well diehards and people who haven't seen it in a while would).

Christmas is when you find these heavily discounted, the complete WILD WILD WEST came out at around $150 and was for sale for $30 on Amazon last Christmas.

It'll be interesting to see. I seriously doubt Adam and Burt recorded commentary for every episode which would have been roughly fifty hours, they seemed to be running out of things to say during the two hour feature.

But no matter, I'm looking forward to it, I hear they'll be stunning prints.
High C

Post by High C »

AndyFish wrote:I'd expect it to be $150 but with DVD sales falling every week in favor of streaming services I wouldn't be surprised of they have a price point under $100. Really surprised they aren't doing it as three sets but maybe they realize no one would buy season three (well diehards and people who haven't seen it in a while would).
I suspect Yvonne fans, of which there are legions on this board, would buy season 3 even if it's a standalone.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

I'm counting on a price in the $100+ range, as I budget for this purchase. Probably a high price for a full series, if you compare to Gilligan's Island or Taxi or 3rd Rock From The Sun, but low if you compare to the full series cost for Friends or Seinfeld. Thinking about it on a per-season level, I expect this to be pretty expensive for three seasons. But those three seasons contain 120 episodes, which usually takes a series 5-6 seasons. Thinking about it as 120 30-minute (broadcast time, not content time) episodes, a $100 price range seems somewhat reasonable. :?
batfan67

Post by batfan67 »

I can't really see anything over $150,I'm thinking closer to $100. At least that's my hope! I've been looking to buy Wild Wild West,I would have loved to find it at that price Andy!

Mike
Fig Newton

Post by Fig Newton »

A couple of thoughts/questions:
1. I wonder if the audio will be remixed in 5.1, like they did for the original Star Trek series, or if it will be in mono.
2. It’s been mentioned that in certain scenes the Joker’s hair looks pink or orange due to the lighting on set. This could probably be corrected digitally for this new release, but should it be?
johnny6666

Post by johnny6666 »

AndyFish wrote:I seriously doubt Adam and Burt recorded commentary for every episode which would have been roughly fifty hours, they seemed to be running out of things to say during the two hour feature.
The selection of a well-informed moderator/host on the commentaries would certainly help prod West and Ward into providing a few more anecdotes. Then again, they've both been poked and prodded about Batman for almost fifty years, so it's likely the well has long ago run dry. And how do you begin to sort through your memories on a 'per episode' basis - across 120 episodes?

Personally, I feel the price will be $150 (or, indeed, well above) for the BD set. I imagine RRP will be high upon debut (to snag collectors and aficionados, going into the Christmas season), and drop somewhat thereafter.
brucemcwaynejr

Post by brucemcwaynejr »

I'm guessing after all of these years of anticipation, the set will be all three seasons boxed and will be sporting a MSRP of $349.00 for Blu-Ray.
Boy, I really hope it comes out on Blu-Ray.
My TOS Trek Blu-Ray set boggles the mind with its clarity and colorful brilliance.
At least my mind.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

So if you follow other M&A news, you know Time-Warner is being purchased.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/ ... bscribers/

Any idea if this will affect the release of the sets?

I know a lot of people have their hand out for the series, but $349. Maybe SRP, but I think that's high for such a short series. Much will depend on content. I bought 10 years of Smallville with the figure for $150. I think SRP was $229 for 260 hour length episodes. We are talking about 120 30 minute episodes or about 1/4 running time.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I would be surprised if it was over $150 and even then more likely under $100.

Mike- sign up for the email notifications for Amazon deals of the day-- the WWW was one of those. I've seen sets retailing at $100+ at these deals for 1/4 the price.
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

If they expect the average collector to shell out more than $100 for what will probably be a six or seven disc set, they had better include a few extras. Maybe some limited edition postcard sized prints or trading cards, maybe a collector diecast toy or two...and of course, a bonus disc with rare outtakes, test sessions, table readings, and gaffs....

I'm just saying, Warner Bros. has one chance to get this right for the buyer....make it a want-to-buy item for Christmas.
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The high quality "Masters" are 30 DVD discs. The first run TVLand set is 29 DVD discs.

That's 4 episodes per disc. So If we are discussing DVD prints, I'm guessing we will have more than 7 discs. For BRD, perhaps 7 or 8?

Anyone know if they would include the 1966 movie in the box set?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I do not know whether they would include the movie in the set, but I think it depends upon what the set includes in the way of extras. Since the movie is available elsewhere (I have the DVD but not the blu yet), I could imagine them not including it. What I am really hoping for, however, is that they include the extras on the Batmania DVDs. I think that most of those extras were licensed from Fox by Image, and the DVDs are now out of print. We'll see.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Cool idea. I saw a making of the series on YouTube, about an hour long. From about 1989.
That may be a good addition too.
High C

Post by High C »

Dynamic Duo wrote:If they expect the average collector to shell out more than $100 for what will probably be a six or seven disc set, they had better include a few extras. Maybe some limited edition postcard sized prints or trading cards, maybe a collector diecast toy or two...and of course, a bonus disc with rare outtakes, test sessions, table readings, and gaffs....
I'm guessing most of the outtakes and bloopers are long gone, unfortunately. But one would think it at least would include the screen tests for Burt and Adam AND for Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell, as well as the Batgirl pilot with Killer Moth.

And as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they still had still photos from costume tests in the Fox vaults. Those would be fun to see. Fox put numerous costume test pix and vintage promo photos in the extras for The Joan Collins Collection disc several years ago.

Fox also had a screen test of Deanna Lund as one of the extras in the Flint boxed set. Speaking of Bat-molls, I suspect she was testing for Jean Hale's role in In Like Flint. Both were under contract to Fox at the time.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17