Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
chelray1

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by chelray1 »

DVD is not dying. People have said that for 5 or more years now. Many Movies are still getting single DVD releases!

But look at the sales charts of DVDs and Blu Rays. They are both doing well.

Digital Downloads are more of a convenience not ownership! You will never own a Digital copy, the studio does. Thats what makes DVDs and Blu Rays so good. If you buy it, you OWN it.

Im fine with studios including a digital copy for my convenience, but when it comes to owning, I want a PHYSICAL COPY, something I can touch and feel!!..

I also like the experience of actually SHOPPING for the Physical Media at a store. Its like a stress relief to hunt and find something to buy.

Not everyone has a broadband internet connection and I dont see everyone getting one in the future. With Physical Media, its a one time buy for your TV/Player/Physical Media. With Digital Downloads, you have to not only pay for the digital movie, but for the internet you stream it on. LOTS of providers have bandwidth limits and MANY MANY people are not going to pay for the extra bandwidth just to download movies. You dont have this worry with Physical Media.

Also, digital download providers clearly state that they have a license to distribute the movie you are wanting to stream, HOWEVER, those license can run out and the service can quit providing you your stream at any time. I know on Itunes Digital Copies, many of the Licenses have ran out and they have REMOVED the movie for download. NO WORRIES with Physical Media on that one.
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

There will come a time where physical media is phased out. Right now, with copyright law being insanely lopsided in favor of moneyed interests, digital downloads and streaming still aren't viable enough to take over. But at some point you will see the end of physical media. Just not in the near-future.

Having said that,I am interested in how they'll do the box art for the set. Will it be photos? DC licensing art? Painted art a la Alex Ross? Digital art? Something else entirely? I'm wondering how they plan to handle this.
Bat Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Bat Administrator »

***Admin stepping in now***

Any further debate as to the color, brightness or contrast being right, wrong or catering to personal tastes about the upcoming video releases have been debated to death now. There is nothing new to add to this. People have said their piece and I doubt either parties are going to convert to the other point of view by now no matter how much brow beating one may feel compelled to do to try and make a point. So this part of the discussion is now locked. No more. Any rebuttal to this decision must be handled via PM. Anybody who wants to talk about it further can do so privately.

Any post not in compliance with this decision will be deleted and the member will be warned.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Mr. Comic Book wrote: Having said that,I am interested in how they'll do the box art for the set. Will it be photos? DC licensing art? Painted art a la Alex Ross? Digital art? Something else entirely? I'm wondering how they plan to handle this.
What if they continue the cartoon theme from the toys. Note that all the toy and costume manufacturers are using the same artwork. Perhaps only the inner sleeves will carry the artwork. I could see some toy themes carried through like the viewmaster reel for a season sleeve.

Oh well, three weeks to go before all is revealed. Perhaps we'll get an ETA on the Hot Toys Batmobile too!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
chelray1

Post by chelray1 »

Mr. Comic Book wrote:There will come a time where physical media is phased out. Right now, with copyright law being insanely lopsided in favor of moneyed interests, digital downloads and streaming still aren't viable enough to take over. But at some point you will see the end of physical media. Just not in the near-future.
Ill be dead and gone by that time, so it wont matter to me.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Digital is taking over just like it did music, if you still have a video store near you you're in the vast minority. I personally hate Redbox because they have only the latest releases. We used to have a great video store that had an amazing selection of obscure stuff. They went away five or six years ago.
chelray1

Post by chelray1 »

AndyFish wrote:Digital is taking over just like it did music, if you still have a video store near you you're in the vast minority. I personally hate Redbox because they have only the latest releases. We used to have a great video store that had an amazing selection of obscure stuff. They went away five or six years ago.
But yet, when you go in wal-mart, there is 2 rows full of Audio CDs...They even have a front featured new section.

Actually my Target has 4 rows of Audio CDs. So even they are alive and still kicking..lol
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Let me make an observational point. DVD's won't die out as quickly as you think. I remember when the 33 record lp's were becoming extinct, and that was due to the cd-dvd technology and craze that was brought forth. The difference though between the record player and the compact disc player was maintenance, with a record player you needed to also have the right size needle on the arm...once the record player became obsolete it was even harder to find those needles let alone any other maintenance you might need to make it work. Personally I think the CD-DVD's will be comparable to the cassette tape. You can still find tape recorders even today(much easier than the record player)and blank audio tapes can still be found(in some stores). In spite of what might be around the corner technology wise dvd's still have atleast another generation of longevity in them.
careycat

Post by careycat »

I wrote Warner asking if this release would be cut or if there were alterations. Earlier this year Warner released "Family Matters" Season 4 and used Syndicated prints instead of uncut prints - Warner heard the complaints and re-issued the set (and did a disc swap program for those who purchased the set) in limited quantities - I asked the same representative who handled my exchange - if there was going to be the potential for any cuts / replacement material / etc but she has not responded yet. I'm guessing they will address this at the ComicCon but seeing that Warner has done it before, I felt it worth asking.

I remember the Bionic Woman fiasco which also resulted in a disc swap at Universal. I am hopeful these will be uncut unaltered set. But there's never a guarantee.

I will buy both the Blu and DVD so I can watch in my living room in Hi Def and in my bedroom - where I have a box TV and it will be closer to the original experience!
Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader »

I'd like to go down a different path for a minute!...Do you think this offering...the entire set all at once...possibly with a $150 and up to (I've heard from a reliable source that the price WILL be) $250!!!...is the best way to go?!...

...or should it have been broken up into, say, Season One; Season Two, Volumes One & Two; and Season Three sets...all at $35 - $50 a set?

We UBER-Bat-Nuts will buy the ENTIRE collection with nary a second thought, but I think the mass public would go for the cheaper season collections. I'm worried that the more casual buyer will pass on a $150 to $250 set price!...even for the holidays!

Thoughts?...
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I'm sure single season sets will be available later on down the track.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Mauled Vader wrote:I'd like to go down a different path for a minute!...Do you think this offering...the entire set all at once...possibly with a $150 and up to (I've heard from a reliable source that the price WILL be) $250!!!...is the best way to go?!...

...or should it have been broken up into, say, Season One; Season Two, Volumes One & Two; and Season Three sets...all at $35 - $50 a set?

We UBER-Bat-Nuts will buy the ENTIRE collection with nary a second thought, but I think the mass public would go for the cheaper season collections. I'm worried that the more casual buyer will pass on a $150 to $250 set price!...even for the holidays!

Thoughts?...

I started a thread with possible mini sets they could come out with.

Bat Mini Sets

I'm glad they are coming out with the whole thing at once. I hate the marketing ploy they use. They come out with single seasons. You buy them knowing if you don't they will think there is no market for the series and stop making sets in the middle of the run.

Then after you buy the entire series they come out with the deluxe package complete series with new extras. To get the new material you have to buy the whole series again.

Since I know I want the entire series I'd like get the deluxe version right away and be done with it.
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I'm interested to see what the different versions of the sets will be but I am only really interested in owning the shows themselves; I don't really care for a lot of special features. I wouldn't mind there being a super deluxe box set with loads of special features for all the people that want it and then a bare bones set with just the episodes and a few special features. I'd be more interested in the latter one.

I am very curious about what the price tag is going to be. Money has been tight this year, very tight, and I would like to know how much I need to save to be able to afford it. If I have to wait for individual season sets, then so be it. It would be nice to buy the whole series at once but the price tag is going to determine if that is an option for me or not. The whole series shouldn't be any more than $150 on DVD, probably more on bluray. We'll see.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

If they offered single season sets spread out over time, say once a year, my thought is season 1 would sell, and the rest would set at reduced volume. Season 2 at perhaps 60% of season 1 and season 3 at 30% of season 2. This is unit volume, not price per set. The real percentages are somewhat immaterial, the novelty will wear off, and word of mouth will lead to decline along with reselling the box set on eBay and other places. And you won't get all the extras either. You might get season three for 16.99 at retail outlets on clearance though.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
svl

Post by svl »

I'm betting that we'll just be seeing a complete series box set, and it'll be right around the $200-$250 mark. WB can be dense but they t'ain't dumb, they know to strike while the iron is hot and they also most probably know what we do- that the first season is the selling point, and the 2nd & 3rd are going to just sit there if released separately.

I'm just hoping we get a killer limited edition packaging release, ala THE WALKING DEAD Blu Rays (sculpted, light up features, sound)...