Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatMite

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by BatMite »

epaddon wrote:
Nick Charles wrote:This was posted at blu-ray.com....I can't verify. Looking forward to this set. Was hoping that the Batgirl pilot, screen tests, 1970s PSA, etc. would have been included but this is nice:
I'll be honest, that may be the lamest set of extras I have ever seen on a series to get this kind of big treatment, *if* that represents the whole thing. "Man From UNCLE", "Get Smart" and even "Six Million Dollar Man" had better extras than that when they were released. With all due respect to those who are memorabilia obsessed, a featurette on searching for collectibles strikes me as a big waste of time.
I couldn't agree more. We'll hear the same stories over and over and see the same interviewees repeat themselves.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The "extras" are in the same vein as what Universal put out on the classic monster discs, new documentaries and interviews with contemporary figures. A lot of us uni fans were hoping for more but you get what you get.

I would have loved to see Adams slides get a prominent spot, and he has tons of them from behind the scenes, but as for all of the screen tests and PSA announcements and pilots, we have seen them and the complaint would be that they are re treading the same old same old. I love Adam but if I hear that "strange stirrings in my utility belt" line again or Burt talk about how he had to do his own stunts I think I'll pull my eyes out of my head.

I am blown away by the quality of the prints, and I've seen some beautiful prints before. This is the set I wanted, uncut. Remastered.

There does, however, seem to be some lack of Batgirl in this whole package. I realize she is only in the third season, which by the way has four of my favorite episodes of all time (Surfs up, Londinium). I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it could be because Yvonne was so late coming to the likeness agreement and things were already in production. Or mAybe we've just not seen it in the set and she's prominently featured somewhere.

Regardless, WB GOT IT DONE, and no matter what was released it would never make everyone happy.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And besides, if you're honestly so anxious to see the screen tests or the PSA or the pilot or what have you are you telling me you don't already have the Batmania disc? Or the Back to the Batcsve (which is a groaner by the way, making the third season look like Hamlet by comparison).
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Szabol wrote:It may be that the Batgirl pilot could not be restored or did not include it due to it being in the public domain.
The A&E Biography segment had clips from it fully restored, so it should be possible.
ronhallau

Post by ronhallau »

There may be more extras according to this
http://whysoblu.com/comic-con-2014-batman-66-panel/
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I would love to see a press release that spells out the special features for the sets. I would be shocked if they did not include the test screenings for Adam and Burt as well as for Lyle Waggoner and his sidekick. I would also include the Batgirl pilot and the PSA because of their historical content. We don't need a rehashing of the HOLY BATMANIA! set but just the historical content that should be obvious to include on the set. I really thought this SDCC panel was going to explain all of that.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I think a lot of ny disappointment with the features stems from being a geeky fan for 45 years that had to know everything and had to go see Adam every chance I had. Many younger fans and casual Batfans will no doubt eat up the utility belt story, the old "plays on so many different levels" line, the lowest testing show ever that if the dials could have been turned below 0 they would have, and so on.

I think the old tv commercials should have been seen as a must. They illustrated the show being on tv. I know that sounds corny, but you kinda step back a bit after seeing a commercial, and say, hey! Batman really WAS on ABC! They also showed the air days of Wed and Thurs. I think a few old things mixed with the new would have been better.

I wonder who the Batcollectors will be. Ralph, Wally, Hardeman (sp).

So where are the full details listed for the discs? You know, stuff like subtitling, an isolated music option and what have you.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The TV Commercials! Now THAT I would have loved to see. Rare period stuff, maybe Adam at Shea Stadium.
droboogie

Post by droboogie »

There will also be a Complete First Season set on 11/11 on DVD only. TVShowsonDVD has the story:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20098

I like the 1st season package art, but am, of course, opting for the blu-ray.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That's a great summary with box art for all three packages.

Nicely done DC and Warner.

By the way, are any board members featured in "Bats of the Round Table"
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

AndyFish wrote:The TV Commercials! Now THAT I would have loved to see. Rare period stuff, maybe Adam at Shea Stadium.
I might go for that if they had a way to skip them. I listen to a good deal of Old Time radio, and some of those commercials are great. Remastering those are a different story.
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

After seeing all the package art for the different releases, I may just be obsessed enough to buy every format of this series they release.

DAMMIT.
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The Adam West scrapbook is enough to justify the extra money for the Blu ray release.
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

BY the way, I feel like there is a great design on the individual season release packaging. All the shots are from season one also. You'll know there's an anti-Batgirl agenda if she doesn't make the package art for season 3, but I'm sure she will.

Votes for who will appear on season 2 and 3 covers?

Season 2: Batman, Robin, Egghead, King Tut, Penguin (the major villain missed on season 1 cover, and season 2 was a big Penguin season), and either Chandell, Ma Parker or Black Widow for actor notoriety?

Season 3: Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Eartha Catwoman, Joker (surfing?) and Siren? Alfred? Gordon & O'Hara?
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I got my Amazon shipping confirmations this morning!