Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Rockatansky

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by Rockatansky »

The wife just found it on the door step a few minutes ago!

Delivered on a Sunday in Perth, Western Australia!

Now the fun begins!
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

Got mine today as well! I watched the first 4 episodes and a few documentaries. I get teary eyes on the West one (and I still think looks more "melodramatic" than something cheerful like Adam) and when he tried the Batcowl in the collectors one. :oops:
Rockatansky

Post by Rockatansky »

Watched all the special features and the first episode on the Sunday,

Gonna' be a great Christmas break!
batsman

Post by batsman »

I’m posting in this thread, because there are a few things that need to be said.

I’ve taken a look at the Season 1 set. I was going to post this as a separate thread, but there are a couple things that need to be said.

This isn’t about personal taste

This is about fact.

WB got it wrong. There are so many things they got wrong with this set.

So WRONG.

The mods of this board have made it clear, they don’t want any discussion about this, so I’m not posting the details, but WB got it wrong.

So disappointed with the set, it could have been so much better.

Fox should have released the set, not WB video.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't think the mods have said that at all-- there are plenty of threads to talk about details on the set.
Personally, I'm delighted with it, and I put in for the replacement discs 1 and 8 for the Blu Ray set to correct the minor quibbles I had with it. But look through the posts there are plenty of places to talk about what you think.
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

It has never been said that personal opinions cannot be expressed. If that were true, this board wouldn't have any content on it.

What won't be tolerated is "bashing" or flat out complaining. We expect a certain amount of decorum on this board. If you can express yourself in a respectful manner, that is always encouraged. Give it a go, we'll let you know if you are deviate from the rules.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I've only asked that people try to stay away from the "EST" nature of critiquing and complaining. Delivery is EVERYTHING. As stated before; Critiquing is one thing, condemning is another and torches are just plain unnecessary. If one is not happy, that's understood but please tone it down a bit. It really sours the party. I also ask that people don't derail the initial direction of a thread. Either find a suitable thread or start a new one.

(Not aimed at a literal "you" but can't think of how to phrase this in a more general fashion at the moment so nobody should take the following personally or directed at them.) And last but not least as general rule to everyone out there. Do not take pot shots at the mods publicly (or anybody else for that matter). If you have a problem with what any of us are doing or any of the policies that are in place, PM us.

No more rebuttals about the mod stuff here please, we're derailing this thread enough.

Moving on...
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I guess I'm not sure where this should go, but it's relevant.

My impression is that the Blurays offer impressive color and detail but some of the latter can potentially "spoil" the show, by showing Adam and Burt's five-o-clock shadow, etc. I've held off on this so far, but will most likely go with the regular set since I don't own a blurray player.

It's too bad the Marsha epilogue was cut, that's actually one of my favorite scenes, and I like that Aunt Hildy reformed. I can appreciate those moments in the show.

cheers
batsman

Post by batsman »

I'd like to thank everyone for their posts.

The remastering is unbelievable in some places. WB took the time to remaster these episodes, and it shows.

The question is *what source* did they actually use to remaster these episodes?

The pilot is from a different source, and isn't the print that's usually broadcast and is darker.

In some areas, they went too dark.

Some of the Batspin transitions are "corrected" for this release, in some cases they have gone ahead and centred them, and in other cases they have rescaled them to fit the center of the screen.

The audio on one of the opening spins, is sped up.

I will leave it at that for now, but there is so much that could have been done to make the set better. Batman deserves nothing less than the best quality possible.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

As far as the remastering, there are some very interesting threads on newly visible nuances and differences in the Batmobile from season to season and episode to episode over at the Batmobile site. I'm talking subtleties such as a change from slotted head to Phllips head screws on the front canopies. Wow, minor trivia to the casual observer, but extremely important for a 100% reproduction and historical archeology.

I still get a rush as the opening credits start to roll. As an Adult, I really appreciate Adam and Burts performances. This series really is the comic book brought to life. Also, what they call "Camp" seems to remind me of today's "Dramadies" a serious drama with bits of humor and occasional absurdity - like real life.

Batmania reigns again!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
batsman

Post by batsman »

Szabol wrote:As far as the remastering, there are some very interesting threads on newly visible nuances and differences in the Batmobile from season to season and episode to episode over at the Batmobile site. I'm talking subtleties such as a change from slotted head to Phllips head screws on the front canopies.
LOL!
Szabol wrote:I still get a rush as the opening credits start to roll. As an Adult, I really appreciate Adam and Burts performances. This series really is the comic book brought to life. Also, what they call "Camp" seems to remind me of today's "Dramadies" a serious drama with bits of humor and occasional absurdity - like real life.Batmania reigns again!
BTW, the opening credits animation looks fantastic with the new remastering.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!
batfan67

Post by batfan67 »

robinboyblunderer wrote:I guess I'm not sure where this should go, but it's relevant.

My impression is that the Blurays offer impressive color and detail but some of the latter can potentially "spoil" the show, by showing Adam and Burt's five-o-clock shadow, etc. I've held off on this so far, but will most likely go with the regular set since I don't own a blurray player.

It's too bad the Marsha epilogue was cut, that's actually one of my favorite scenes, and I like that Aunt Hildy reformed. I can appreciate those moments in the show.

cheers
You can still see 5 o'clock shadows and other details on the standard DVD set too.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

They did such a wonderful job on the remastering you can even see all these details on an old 22 year old analog TV (one day we will have to replace that old set in our 'Bat Cave' room, but somehow an analog TV seems wonderfully appropriate to watch the series on).
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

To those that are wondering why some of the next week bumpers are not on the correct episodes as originally broadcast, I did some research and compiled a list of the 1966 and 1967 ABC summer reruns.

They struck new 35mm prints for the network reruns and the bumpers were changed on the original 35mm negatives. When mastering in 4K for the new blu-ray release, the 35mm elements would still have the bumpers in place for the ABC network reruns.

I can tell you that the one 35mm camera negative I personally handled for THE BAT'S KOW TOW had a next week bumper for the Penguin which would have been for the August 17, 1967 ABC rerun.

The full list in this thread: http://66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3521
Batmanfan71

Post by Batmanfan71 »

I still haven't picked up my copy of the TV show. I'm trying to decide between the limited edition or standard edition Blu-Ray set.