Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Batman Buddy 2012

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by Batman Buddy 2012 »

Did you have to pay for it now?? Or do they wait to charge you when it ships out like Amazon??
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

What do they charge for the shipping?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't think rushing out to buy this means you're a true fan, and not doing so keeps you out of our clubhouse. There are a lot of shows I really liked but held off, Wild Wild West for one.

I order from WB shop once in a while, great service lousy packaging. Usually the dvd is in a plain cardboard envelope and I've had to send two back that were crushed. Amazon can do some head scratching packaging too, but at least it's usually in a box.

Burt said to me he went in for a day to record extras for the DVD, no way you're doing commentary on any large group of episodes in a single day.

If there were commentaries they would be listed, plain and simple. WB has not been secretive about any of the content, it's just when you add in the crazy fan speculation on sites like Amazon that it seems like they might be.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

High C wrote:
robinboyblunderer wrote:I'm not surprised there aren't commentaries listed, nor the super-longshot of scripts or treatments or unused scripts etc. included and I don't think I saw deleted scenes...heck, maybe there weren't any cutting room scenes on such a tight schedule.
There were plenty of deleted scenes, partly because it's easier to cut whole scenes and/or shorten others when you are trying to make an episode fit the running time, as opposed to coming up with something after the fact if you happen to run short.

The problem is home video wasn't a gleam in anyone's eye in 1966-68, so other than blooper reels for Christmas parties and/or end-of-the-season wrap parties, nobody thought to save any deleted scenes. Nobody thought money could be made from them. It was a different era.

Alright, I'm thoroughly confused. These are uncut episodes, aren't they? I assume they are as this is what we are told, but has anyone actually seen a full episode from this set yet? Has anyone seen any scene's or pieces of dialogue that aren't already on these bootleg copies some of us have? My thinking is if WB wants to sell this, I would think they would give us true evidence that the episodes ARE uncut(because this is what the public wants), like episode runtime or a trailer consisting of scenes not on the bootlegs. Of course we would like to see some classic extra's, but newer extra's aren't a bad thing, I'll be watching them. This is not so much about distrust(IfWB says the eps are uncut, they are uncut), all I'm saying is that with all these bootlegs out there, other than it's obvious legality and the all the work that went into the restoring of these episodes,(there are a lot of extra's that were on my BL set like the Batgirl pilot and some documentaries afore mentioned that did not make it on this set) it just seems that WB is taking this soft sell approach, almost as if the bootlegs don't even exist, that scares me a little.
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

Jaws63 wrote: Alright, I'm thoroughly confused. These are uncut episodes, aren't they? I assume they are as this is what we are told, but has anyone actually seen a full episode from this set yet. Has anyone seen any scene's or pieces of dialogue that aren't already on these bootleg copies. My thinking is if WB wants to sell this, I would think they would give us true evidence of the episodes being uncut, like episode runtime or a trailer consisting of scenes not on the bootlegs. This is not so much about distrust(IfWB says the eps are uncut, they are uncut), but I did want to put this point out there.
I don't think there's been any formal statement about the material being "uncut", has there? :?:

There would have been "cut" scenes which were scripted or filmed, but removed before the original airing of the episodes. I think that's what HighC is saying. Such scenes would have been "cut" in the most absolute sense, and it isn't likely that any of that trimmed material still exists.

There have also been scenes which originally aired but have been trimmed from syndicated copies and/or never seen in any of our (*ahem*) bootlegs, which might also be discussed as "cut" material, but not in the same way. The extra Leslie Gore music was removed in that sense and is (or has been) available on youtube. I don't recall any discussion ever revealing scenes other than those songs which were universally removed from the episodes after the initial transmissions, but there may have been other scenes which could be called "cut" in that sense. Whether such scenes will be included in these upcoming releases seems to be one of many unknowns, at this point.
HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail »

As much as I'd like commentaries it's probably not feasible. Prepping them takes a lot of effort if they're done by historians, and if they're actor/interviewer (prompter)-style, they can have a lot of dead air and get dull fast, especially with so many episodes.

Special movie releases can have one or two commentaries, premiere programs, scripts, poster repros, the works...because it's all about a single piece of media. This is a three-season TV show. Really nice extras might have come with staggered season releases, but I'm glad to be getting them all at once.

The nicest TV sets I have don't include many or any commentaries, though they really did a great job including them on "Thriller" and that was a FIRST-class project. The "Batman" set is pretty much par for the course, and it's the effort spent restoring (and providing!) the episodes that will matter most after the first few days of watching the "extras" for the first and only time.
High C

Post by High C »

That_weirdo_Cage wrote:
Jaws63 wrote: Alright, I'm thoroughly confused. These are uncut episodes, aren't they? I assume they are as this is what we are told, but has anyone actually seen a full episode from this set yet. Has anyone seen any scene's or pieces of dialogue that aren't already on these bootleg copies. My thinking is if WB wants to sell this, I would think they would give us true evidence of the episodes being uncut, like episode runtime or a trailer consisting of scenes not on the bootlegs. This is not so much about distrust(IfWB says the eps are uncut, they are uncut), but I did want to put this point out there.
I don't think there's been any formal statement about the material being "uncut", has there? :?:

There would have been "cut" scenes which were scripted or filmed, but removed before the original airing of the episodes. I think that's what High C is saying. Such scenes would have been "cut" in the most absolute sense, and it isn't likely that any of that trimmed material still exists.
Correct, Cage. I mean scenes that were in the final version of the script and were filmed, but were deleted from the finished versions that appeared on ABC from 1966-68.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
svl

Post by svl »

That_weirdo_Cage wrote:

Jaws63 wrote:Alright, I'm thoroughly confused. These are uncut episodes, aren't they? I assume they are as this is what we are told, but has anyone actually seen a full episode from this set yet. Has anyone seen any scene's or pieces of dialogue that aren't already on these bootleg copies. My thinking is if WB wants to sell this, I would think they would give us true evidence of the episodes being uncut, like episode runtime or a trailer consisting of scenes not on the bootlegs. This is not so much about distrust(IfWB says the eps are uncut, they are uncut), but I did want to put this point out there.

Yes, WB stated in the official PR and in other places that the episodes are uncut from the original broadcast versions.
chelray1

Post by chelray1 »

Batman Buddy 2012 wrote:WOW!!! :) I should pre order from WB if there price is going to be that much less with a code. On the Blu-Ray but I have already pre ordered from Amazon. Will Amazon give me that WB Price too?? I wonder?? And that is a Awesome price for season 1 :) :) I wonder if they will sell the other too for that much too??
Ive heard they may split season 2 into 2 volumes, so it may buy $60 for season 2, but season 3 will be 27.99 I bet..

I will not even be getting the blu rays. The show was filmed in 4x3 for CRT Color TVs. NOT HDTVs. I HATE watching 4x3 shows on a 16x9 TV.. (I HATE THE BLACK BARS TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT - VERY DISTRACTING IN MY OPINION). and I sure wouldnt do a wide zoom and crop the top and bottom just to fill the screen..thats not right either!!!

Anyways the show was meant to be watched on a FULLSCREEN COLOR CRT TV and thats how I intend to watch it.

I have s SONY 32" Inch CRT that has a fantastic picture and I always watch any tv show that was filmed in 4x3 on it!! For me, I enjoy it the most that way, not on an HDTV...
batfan67

Post by batfan67 »

Forgive me the stupid question. When we talk about commentaries is that running commentary through the episode or episode introductions like on the Wild Wild West set with Robert Conrad saying something specific to each episode?

Mike
Spikor1982

Post by Spikor1982 »

Commentaries are running comments by actors/crew/historians throughout the episode as a separate audio track- I love'em.

Though for this set the uncut HD picture is what I care most about, anything else is secondary. Many shows actually just get the syndication versions thrown on dvd or have music cut, its not overly abundant-but it happens. So i'm very happy and satisfied with what is coming for Batman.
“It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Usually "commentary" is short for "running commentary," and runs through the whole presentation, as opposed to the intros on WWW or Barbara Feldon's on the "Get Smart" discs.

For Batman, I would have realistically only expected commentaries on a handful of episodes as -- let's be honest here -- it was probably the most formulaic show in history, and it would quickly become difficult coming up with new things to say about 120 episodes that are all largely the same as each other.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
ELVIS

Post by ELVIS »

chelray1 wrote:
I will not even be getting the blu rays. The show was filmed in 4x3 for CRT Color TVs. NOT HDTVs. I HATE watching 4x3 shows on a 16x9 TV.. (I HATE THE BLACK BARS TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT - VERY DISTRACTING IN MY OPINION). and I sure wouldnt do a wide zoom and crop the top and bottom just to fill the screen..thats not right either!!!

Anyways the show was meant to be watched on a FULLSCREEN COLOR CRT TV and thats how I intend to watch it.

I have s SONY 32" Inch CRT that has a fantastic picture and I always watch any tv show that was filmed in 4x3 on it!! For me, I enjoy it the most that way, not on an HDTV...
Obviously to each his own on this issue, but "STAR TREK" was filmed to be seen in 4x3 and on a CRT COLOR TV as well. At the time they had no idea what future technology would bring. "STAR TREK" looks AMAZING in Blu ray. I own both the DVD and Bluray sets and I only watch the Bluray now! I am watching Batman that way as well.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

WB needs to show us proof? Like they have a hostage and we need some evidence? They said they're uncut-- what more can they say? WB is not going to compare these to bootlegs, WB is not going to even mention bootlegs other than to say if you own a bootleg set you are breaking the law.

Up until January 2014 if you were a fan you had no other choice than to buy or trade a set, but the rules changed when they announced a licensed set. NOW you'd be wrong to buy a bootleg.

There is not a bootleg set in the world that will top this, the footage is incredible. The color is vibrant, there is no logo in the bottom right corner, and probably most importantly, this is the set that pays back the actors and creators. Your friendly neighborhood bootlegger doesn't write a check to Adam West every time he sells a 31 disc set.

If you're worried about the completeness of the episodes, wait until they are released on 11.11.14 when ACTUAL reviews of the series will be up on Amazon and certainly here, not endless mindless speculation. Trust me if one second is missing from them there will be more than enough people chiming in to cry foul.
Batman Buddy 2012

Post by Batman Buddy 2012 »

Andy is right Thanks Andy!! :) :) I can not wait to get the Blu-Ray DVD and the DVD box sets all uncut in HD!! WB has said its all 120 episodes all uncut remasterd!!! :) :) With Extras bonus what more can you want we have been waiting years and years for this to happen!!! :) :) Prayers have been answered for this to come out on Blu-Ray and DVD Happy Batman Days!!!! :) :)