The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Re: The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

Post by AndyFish »

Well I violated my own vow of never setting foot in Wal*Mart again and went last night and grabbed one of these when I heard they had them. 19" tall-- and it's the classic 70s/80s style Batman. Selling for more than 3x what Wally World was selling it for.
Attachments
12716852_944116298990770_1551433420_n.jpg
12716852_944116298990770_1551433420_n.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Andy,

Nice find! I'd like one myself. One question... Wally-World and Wal-Mart are the same store. What store are you actually meaning sold for 3 X more?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I agree with Y.O, Andy, totally!!!!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The shorts are black? Holy Throwback Costume
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Who knows why Szabol? Who knows why.
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Wally World and Wal*Mart are the same-- they go for much more on eBay-- search BATMAN BIG FIG
The reason his shorts are black is because that was the color scheme of the costume in the 70s and 80s, right out of the official style guide.
His arms are too short, but I don't care-- still love it.

Funny story on how I got this.
The Mrs and I swung by TRU to see if they had these yet. You know something is hitting the market when it starts to show up on eBay for scalper prices. No luck, I was about to spend $50 on the 'bay but decided I'd wait.

Sunday night, I'm having dinner with my three grown sons, we're sitting around at a restaurant, check is paid, basically joking around when I show one of them the picture of the Batman figure I'm looking for.

"Oh we saw that today." Says #2 son.
"Where?" Says I.
"Wal*Mart, I almost bought one."
"Let's go." I declare as I jump up out of the booth-- "Somebody pull up the website to see what time they close."

Within 30 seconds we were on our way out of the parking lot.
It was in the clearance section too! Along with Flash. They also made an all black version with a yellow belt, I didn't see that one, and honestly have no interest. These things are big and not easy to find room for, but there was no way I was passing on a mass market figure that FINALLY did the black area on the front of the face and the black shorts. THIS is the color scheme for 70s Batman I think of.

Completely useless poseability wise, but then I'm not going to play with it. Took it out of the box and propped it up to guard my printer in my studio.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Those black shorts get me on the 6" figures and Megos too. I never noticed the black color in the 70's. My mind saw blue. Even the comics show blue highlights, but they are basically black.

Andy, enjoy it. Who knows, a 30" version can't be far behind.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Wife got me one of the limited 18" Tonner Yvonne Craig batgirl figures, I usually only collect sideshow/hot toys but since they don't make it and this is really the only Yvonne Craig likeness figure produced its pretty cool and they only made 500 and sold out quickly so she's lucky she was able to secure one and I'm sure with her recent passing people are going to do what they always do and start charging an inflated amount for it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
image.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think that Tonner Batgirl is the best one in their line, although I like the Adam West one too. Tonner isn't about likeness, it's about style-- and they are loaded with that.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

The main problem, besides price, IMHO, is that Her cowl looks like an American Football Helmet and that alone makes it not work for me.
It is nice in its own way.
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The trouble is you can't do a non bubble cowl without making a ridiculously tiny head.
I always prefer the removable mask to a molded head, I think I owe that to my love of Captain Action and the first Mego Batman figure.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I agree, up to a point, but I have seen G.I. Joes where the helmets ( cowl type WW2 pilot helmets in particular) fit accurately and not look oversized on the furry headed Joes.. For the price being asked for those YC/Batgirl dolls, One would think that they would and could get it right!!!!
Normally, I would defer to You Andy, but I also spent a good 20+ years sewing and constructing dolls of the Toner size and Toner has better manufacturing dies and tools than I ever had. That is why I think that, along w/ experience of the "Joe's" that the Toners could do better.
Speaking of Joes, maybe our mutual colleague "FloatinJoe " might care to weigh in on this.

But this doesn't mean that I don't respect You Andy :( . You're STILL my "Go-To Guy" as far as the Serials go. :D :D :D :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Cheers,
Larry
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

FWIW: I got a 1949 bat symbol t shirt in my stocking last Christmas from redbubble. Seriously cool!

Unfortunately it faded after one wash. If I were to get another, I'd go with it on the lightest T shirt available. Really too bad. NOBODY at my gym wears this shirt!!! It is somewhat cool looking after doing a few heavy sets on bench, getting pumped then seeing the old school bat symbol in the mirror, haha!

I think I'm more of a Batman serial fan than I realized!
BatBrain

Post by BatBrain »

Just went to Walmart down the road to get a belt, ended up looking around, found this for $7.50! Actually it was the only one left and happened to be in a size that fits me (XL).
Attachments
btm.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I honestly had forgotten all about the Vinyl Idols line until my girlfriend surprised me with the Adam version yesterday. A lot more charming in person than I thought they looked in the photos online when they were announced a while back.
Idolz.JPG