The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
gothosmansion

Re: The Latest Batman Item You've Acquired?

Post by gothosmansion »

Larry A. wrote:Terrific Find!!!!!! Terrific Catwoman Story!!!!!!!!! Surprising that it survived any Korean War paper drives. I know they had them because my late uncle gave us some early Batmancomics He saved from pulping when He worked at the Alton Boxboard Company, now part of Georgia Pacific.
That is awesome, Larry. I hope you still have some of those comics. If so, I'd like to know what issues you have.

I didn't start collecting until the 1970s, and, as my collection went back, my oldest comic was always a Batman. I bought a Sensation Comics starring Wonder Woman from 1946, so I decided I wanted to get a Batman from that decade, although I guess my oldest comic from this point forth will be a Wonder Woman. I still only have two comics from the 1940s. Here is another recent pick-up of mine. It is my tenth comic from the 1950s. (Four Detectives, three Batmans, Two Wonder Womans and a Lois Lane). I'm not really planning on letting my collection go back that far, just picking up what I can get a good deal on.

Here is another of my recent pick-ups. This is now my third oldest comic and second oldest Batman. Detective Comics 208 June 1954. In the story, a robbery is committed using and experimental rocket. Batman surmises the rocket was probably stole from "Space College" and heads there to investigate. The college does have a lot of alien landscape, where several people are training to survive on different planets. I really didn't think the mystery was "fair" in that enough clues were provided to the reader to figure out the criminal. However, the Dick Sprang artwork was fun and I really liked seeing his version of the alien landscapes. Cover art by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye.
Attachments
195406detective208.jpg
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi G.M.,
I wish I did have them still. I'm 62 year Young and those comics, sadly, are long since gone :cry: :cry: :cry: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I agree with You that Sprang did a great job, no two ways about it. I might start looking for some of those myself. Keep on Sharing, Please?

Cheers,
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Did they ever release a book of just covers?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Batman, Robin and Gordon by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Recently received delivery of this Robin figure from Figures Toy Co. This is the smaller-sized "First Appearance" Robin, adapted by me with a yellow collar and spare pair of tights (which I had on hand from a retro Supergirl figure). In the same package, I received a Bat Shield, the movie bomb and the Commissioner's Batphone.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Szabol wrote:Did they ever release a book of just covers?
There was a tiny folio of covers back in the early 90s. The Action Comics and Detective Comics volumes went from 1-300 on volume 1 and 301-600 on volume 2, but they were very tiny. Around one of Batman and Superman's anniversaries, DC released a "Cover to Cover" book devoted to each which were supposed to feature their best covers, but over half of the covers featured were five years old or newer at the time of publication. Very disappointing.

Would anyone be interested in doing a "Favorite Batman comic book covers" thread. We could each post one or two a week, so we would give everyone time to discuss? I don't know if it would go in the "off topic" thread or if it would be ok in the merchandise thread because, after all, the comics would be Batman merchandise.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I tried a comics cover thread some time ago and it died a painful death. Maybe it was in the off topic section which is often the dusty area of the board. I'd be all for giving it another try. I think I did it as comics from the period of the show-- so as to keep it relevant and not off topic.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I remember that, Andy. I posted a few covers over there. I was thinking with going with the whole gamut of Batman's existence, though. Of course, I probably wouldn't post anything newer than early 1990s.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Start it up Guys!!!!!!! I can hardly wait!!!!!!

Cheers,
Larry
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

My local comic shop had a local artist doing free sketches today for Free Comic Book Day. This is what he drew for me. Pretty awesome one of a kind art for my collection.
Attachments
20160507_150849_resized_1.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Love it-- that's great!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yeah, I know how you feel Andy. I just dug up my Batmusic thread, which needs a refueling...
Btw, just got this, speaking of fun reads. I love how the stories are pretty much TV scripts lol.
Attachments
51xw+ZEVlZL._SL1500_.jpg
51xw+ZEVlZL._SL1500_.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Stopped at Bedrock comics in Houston while on a business trip. Monster sale starts tomorrow, but I snagged the Mothmobile for $5.00. If I had the space, they have the NECA Robin for $30. Super deep sales.
I thought the Mothmobile went with the 66 theme. I just need the flying Batcave!
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

I held off as long as I could because of the price but I finally broke down and bought the Hot Toys figures.
batusi001.JPG
stance002.JPG
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Good for you. They are great
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

While looking for other items, I accidentally found a local bookseller selling this on eBay. Previous investigations have seen examples of the 1966-vintage World Adventure Library "Batman" books for rather high prices!

Egghead gets the yoke by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I first read about these titles a few years ago at:
http://batgirlbat-trap.com/worldadventu ... brary.html
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)