8-inch figures prone to weak ankles?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
LuckyLadybug

8-inch figures prone to weak ankles?

Post by LuckyLadybug » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:21 am

Hi, I'm very interested in collecting the new figures coming out for the show, but I've been hearing that the 8-inch ones often suffer from weak ankles and fall over. Oh dear. Is this a first release problem that has been fixed on later releases, or is it something that is quite constant? Also, are there any characters more prone to it than others? I'd probably be most interested in getting the Riddler and Penguin to start with.

These Batman figures look similar in size and style to a recent Oscar Goldman figure I have and I'm wondering if the Batman ones are made by the same company, Bif Bang Pow. My Oscar figure doesn't have weak ankles, but maybe I just got lucky.

SprangFan

Re: 8-inch figures prone to weak ankles?

Post by SprangFan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:00 am

The (now cancelled) Six Million Dollar Man figure line was, as you note, from Bif Bang Pow. The Batman line is from Figures Toys, aka "Classic TV Toys" (CTVT). They're using different bodies (for one thing, the hands on the Dynamic Duo pop onto the wrists to make the "gauntlets" work, whereas I'm pretty sure Steve, Oscar and company have hinges attaching their hands to their wrists).

Anyway, Oscar Goldman can't have weak ankles; he's got Rudy on staff to supply him with bionic replacements. What he really needs is an "action" feature that lets him whip his glasses off whenever he's astonished...which is at least once a day. And David Caruso thought he invented that move. :lol:

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:40 am

Weak ankles but they do manage to stand most of the time.
They make little doll, er, action figure stands though, and that solves that problem.

batfan67

Post by batfan67 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:10 am

AndyFish wrote:They make little doll, er, action figure stands though, and that solves that problem.
My wife and I were at Hobby Lobby and I needed stands for my Neca Batman figures. She said "you want doll stands?" and I said no I need poseable statue stands. She still called them doll stands.
I need some for my FTC figures, they're still in the box.

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:14 am

Ha-- yeah you're better off just walking in and saying you want a doll stand. That's what they are, they just happen to work for poseable statues and Megos too.

wally wingert

Post by wally wingert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:23 am

The problem with doll stands is that they ruin the look of the figure with that big claw wrapped around their waists. I've fortified weak ankles with tape and it seems to work pretty well.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am

Get the "U" crotch support versions
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:20 am

Yup Lou's right 100% The U type are much better.

LuckyLadybug

Post by LuckyLadybug » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:59 pm

SprangFan wrote:Anyway, Oscar Goldman can't have weak ankles; he's got Rudy on staff to supply him with bionic replacements. What he really needs is an "action" feature that lets him whip his glasses off whenever he's astonished...which is at least once a day. And David Caruso thought he invented that move. :lol:
Haha! LOL, SprangFan.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. :) I don't care for doll stands either, because of the extra space they take up and I don't like that thing around the waist. I'll have to look into this other kind.

HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:44 am

My FTC villains kept falling over (forward, to be more precise) so I finally got a set of stands for them. Amazon has 12 for like $16 shipped 2-day if you have Prime.

They come in black or white. I got black (I'd gotten a set of the 12"-figure stands a while back, and I prefer black). Be sure if they're for Mego-style you get the ones sized for 6.5" to 11" figures.

They have coating on the wire for protection, and the bases are nicely finished in black. For a dollar and change apiece you can't beat them.

Usually I'm able to hide the "claw" behind the jacket—if there is one. These may not look terrific on my Egghead or Riddler (I'll see when I get home), but anything beats falling over!

I managed to get through this whole post without using the word "doll," but you may need to use it if you search for them on Amazon ;)

TBolt

Post by TBolt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:25 pm

mine have no problems standing, however if there is a loose ankle joint, a drop of superglue in the joint and then flex the joint until the superglue dries. It fills the gaps and ends up tightening the joint. Its an old action figure trick.
To the Bat-Elephant!!

HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 am

Just a quick snap to show that the pincers can be nicely hidden behind the jackets on the three villains who have them, even (just barely) Egghead, though he has to stand a bit away from the stand to make it work (making his coat's tails go a bit back before hanging. The other two don't have that issue (Penguin's is actually under his vest), and you really can't tell on the Egghead from the front. (You just want to be sure you don't pop the elastic loop that joins the jacket in the front. I was very impressed putting these together at all the details on the clothing...I don't pay close enough attention to that.)

Riddler's clamp is exposed but it doesn't bother me if you put it low, just under his waistband.