What are your thoughts on the Life Magazine cover?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
John Mack

Re: What are your thoughts on the Life Magazine cover?

Post by John Mack »

This is going fine. I appreciate all the comments. I did not create this to flame the board and so far it's been great. If it does get out of hand, I'll be the first to contact the mods to lock it.

I like the passion that you that like cover have and I like how the people who agree with me have done so in a non aggressive manner! Thank you!

Yes, Lee I can see that. But to me, as BWH said, only captured Adam looking silly. There was a magazine called "Screen Stories" and to me that was a great cover!

John
Attachments
SS Batman.jpg
SS Batman.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Music. BAT! Music.

HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail »

It's that right hand. It's always been about the right hand. I'm cool with everything else, but the hand...that hand...I look at the photo and see an outtake.

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yes, it does speak to the hand, the right hand. But for me, even more so is Adam's eyes and the goofy grin. Look under his cowl in a close up---Not becoming. I think from what Adam has said is that they made him bounce on a trampoline for the shoot, and kept it up for what like seemed hours. IMO he got tired and gave up trying to be a super hero (who wouldn't ya know?) and just started getting punchy. Shot after shot did different things, and the end result was this goofy photo of him. That's what the photo suggests to me anyway. I could be wrong.

You know who
Music. BAT! Music.

burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Batguitarist wrote:Yes, it does speak to the hand, the right hand. But for me, even more so is Adam's eyes and the goofy grin. Look under his cowl in a close up---Not becoming. I think from what Adam has said is that they made him bounce on a trampoline for the shoot, and kept it up for what like seemed hours. IMO he got tired and gave up trying to be a super hero (who wouldn't ya know?) and just started getting punchy. Shot after shot did different things, and the end result was this goofy photo of him. That's what the photo suggests to me anyway. I could be wrong.

You know who
Would be interesting to see the other pictures from that photo-shoot, that they passed on. They might be some real awesome gems???

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh absolutely!

John
Music. BAT! Music.

wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

Batguitarist wrote:Yes, it does speak to the hand, the right hand. But for me, even more so is Adam's eyes and the goofy grin. Look under his cowl in a close up---Not becoming. I think from what Adam has said is that they made him bounce on a trampoline for the shoot, and kept it up for what like seemed hours. IMO he got tired and gave up trying to be a super hero (who wouldn't ya know?) and just started getting punchy. Shot after shot did different things, and the end result was this goofy photo of him. That's what the photo suggests to me anyway. I could be wrong.

You know who
I seem to remember reading/hearing that they didn't have Adam jumping on a trampoline. They had him climbing up to the top part of the Bat-nuclear reactor and jumping down onto a pile of mattresses over and over again. After a while he probably felt like joining Molly in the Atomic Pile!

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

wayoutjunk wrote:

You know who
I seem to remember reading/hearing that they didn't have Adam jumping on a trampoline. They had him climbing up to the top part of the Bat-nuclear reactor and jumping down onto a pile of mattresses over and over again. After a while he probably felt like joining Molly in the Atomic Pile!
Yep. I heard that too. Now that you mention it, I think that's the real story. Thanks for remembering that! And I agree. He was being driven Batty!

John
Music. BAT! Music.

Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I saw this on another message board and thought of this thread:

http://fat.gfycat.com/HorribleLeadingImperialeagle.gif

burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Looks like some Published and Unpublished images here:

http://life.time.com/culture/batman-pho ... v-show/#11

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio

HerryGrail

Post by HerryGrail »

I never knew the image was flopped...usually that's pretty apparent, but without seeing any more of his face it's pretty imperceptible here. A tribute to the symmetry of the costume, I suppose.

1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

I have the magazine, but I have never liked the picture.

So...a few weeks ago, I was in a Hallmark store with my wife, and I told her that I DO NOT want the ornament.

Today, I opened my gifts, and.... Well you can guess the rest.

I doubt I can return it, but I will try. ( They will be 50% off tomorrow, and there arent any that I want)
I hate this ornament...I have no idea why she thought I would like it.

High C

Post by High C »

I do not like the photo. But it bothers me more that the show itself became way too silly.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I used to hate the cover, or at lease dislike it as a kid, probably because I didn't know what camp was, and probably because batman appeared frightened. As an adult, I didn't care for it as it hyped everything that was perceived as wrong with the series. However, I'm softening my position on it. Perhaps it's the ornament, or the great shadow box, but I'm feeling better about it
Picture 1
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 2
Curio Cabinet
Curio Cabinet
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

One additional thought. The image in its original form with the batcave backdrop looks great.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

I like that cover. The pose is dynamic, the background add a little bit of pop-art flavour to it and even West´s grin adds fun to it.