Newbie's Plan for a New 66 Batman Costume

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Grayvette03

Re: Newbie's Plan for a New 66 Batman Costume

Post by Grayvette03 »

Thanks, lot of work went into it. Jo Anne Fabric for cape material Navy Blue satin #06684971, my wife did most of the sewing but I did all the hand sewing. I did make the belt following the pattern from Chuck W. Let me know if I can help with anything. This group on here is a wealth of knowledge. Good luck! Jim

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Thanks so, so much to everyone for the advice. I am sure you saved me from making more than one mistake. Jim, I very much appreciate you taking the time to show some "do it yourself" spirit. For those looking to buy your own fabric like Jim, as of the time of this post, you can see the cape fabric he chose by going to the Jo Anne Fabric website and entering the product number above without the first zero. I am not quite sure yet how much (if any) of this I am going to do myself. It's good to know that there are options and a spirit of community on this board though.

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

We published the patterns to help everyone who wants a costume but perhaps can't afford to have one made for them by us. It wasn't that long ago that the simplest aspects of the costume were not available and everyone had to guess what any of it looked like.

If the DIY approach is not for you and you or anyone else are looking for a professionally constructed costume, I have good news!

We have just created a listing for the closest "Costume in a box" we can do. Everything minus the boots.

I can't see how it could be any easier to get a top notch costume from us now.

Chuck...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/219818097/ ... ome_feat_1
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!
http://www.williamsstudio2.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Chuck, you and your wife are spectacular contributors to this community and offer lots of great options. I think you run your business 100% on all cylinders and I plan to buy a lot of my items from you.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Again, thanks to all for your advice. I decided to mend my cost cutting ways for the most part. I have gone with Chuck and Lynne for my cowl, cape, belt, trunks and glove material. I am having Gaspar make the gloves and Duran make the boots (I really hope I've given them the right measurements). I am cutting corners just a little by getting the leotard and leggings from the same dancewear source I mentioned above and I am going to try and dye them myself (wish me luck). I am hoping an option falls from the heavenly skies for obtaining the chest emblem.

I think when I first looked at this, I mistakenly had the mindset of "buying clothes". This is really not that. This is buying collector's items. I ultimately agreed that you wouldn't want to buy collector's items that you wouldn't be satisfied with collecting.

I did have a reputable costume seamstress in the New York area look at the Williams' patterns and, without reference to their prices, quoted me a price that, with the cost of material was exactly the same as the Williams for the cape and trunks. When you factor in that we all know that Chuck and Lynne know exactly what they are doing and know what weight and fabric to use you quickly realize that working with them is actually a bargain.

I have to admit that my cheap Scottish heritage had the hardest time with the utility belt. Again, getting something that even I can tell from close up photos not only looks better than other reputable makers belts but looks like it will last longer made up my mind for me.

Finally, I feel like if I am joining this community then I take on part of the debt this community owes to the Williams for all the time they spend here and the insight and advice they give. They just deserve return for the R&D they have put into the endeavor.

Anyway, if it all turns out alright maybe I'll post some photos. Thanks again to all.

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thank you very much!!!
Lynne and I appreciate your kind words and feelings very much.
It made our day!! :D :D :D
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!
http://www.williamsstudio2.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info

Hedji

Post by Hedji »

You have chosen.... Wisely. :)

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Thank you Hedji. Many are the paths to the Batcave and Alfred is there . . . with buttermilk.

Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Be sure to post lots of pics along the way!

Jeffreygullett

Post by Jeffreygullett »

Looking at the fabric on the Jo-Ann site. Seems they don't use the term Navy Blue. Is it what they call "Medieval" or "Indigo"?

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I thought I would post some progress thus far. I ordered the fabric for my gloves from the Williams and had them send the material to Gaspar who made gloves from measurements I provided. Here are some photos of the finished gloves.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Glove
Attachments
20150322_222748 (450x800).jpg
20150322_223016 (800x450).jpg
20150322_223048 (800x450).jpg

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I also have ordered and dyed my tights from Onstage Dancewear and ordered and received my boots from Durans. Now I am waiting for my briefs, belt, cape and cowl from Chuck which should come in April.
Attachments
20150215_112824 (360x640).jpg
20150322_221937 (800x450).jpg
20150322_222122 (450x800).jpg
20150322_222147 (450x800).jpg
20150322_222342 (800x450).jpg
20150322_222638 (450x800).jpg

Jeffreygullett

Post by Jeffreygullett »

Looks awesome. Can you tell me which pieces you bought from the dance wear company? I was looking at their site but I'm unsure what to get.

Thanks!

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Sure Jeffrey. I went with the long sleeve, crew neck leotard with back zipper in white supplex. I added a snap crotch and full front lining. I believe the model number is #305-805. I also ordered the ankle length legging in white supplex and added foot stirrups (others might add a full feet). The model number for the leggings was #308-808. I wonder if anyone on this board has ever ordered the Capezio MT-11 for leggings rather than #308-808. Has anyone ever ordered the MT-11?