Newbie's Plan for a New 66 Batman Costume

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Flyinggrayson

Re: Newbie's Plan for a New 66 Batman Costume

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:01 am

I should maybe mention that I am going to be a "modern fabric" Batman. So the gloves you are seeing are the Williams choice for the new modern stretch fabric. As far as I am aware, for us newbies, there isn't really a choice to use the original fabric from the show for anything except, perhaps the cowl. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. Some of the folks that have been on this board for a long while went in on a buy of the last of the original fabric a long ways back but I think there's almost none of that left. The original fabric (as I understand it) is no longer made in the U.S. and, to the extent you could even find it abroad, would be expensive to fly over and dye. So when you see photos of my completed costume (which I hope will be in the next month), you can all get a sense of what the Williams' choice for the new fabric looks like throughout the costume (cowl to briefs).

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 am

Here's a photo from a little while back with the modern satin fabric for the cowl, gloves and trunks and our standard cape.

Yes, when I tracked down the original fabric years ago we offered a "Buy In" for the fabric to complete your costume because the amount of fabric needed for the dye process was a minimum of 50 meters. The fabric is very expensive to begin with and the cost of it , the dyeing and the shipping here was very high and we had to spread the cost out so we could make it happen.

We had done this twice over the years.

For a short while after we had successfully dyed the fabric in bulk we offered the additional fabric for the gloves and trunks as we do now with the modern fabric.
As the fabric supply goes down we opt to only use what we have for cowls so more people can have an authentic cowl and if they want to suit up, there are other fabrics that are available to flesh out the costume.

The company that dyed our fabric had a fire and the machines that were use to dye this wide yardage were destroyed.
In our last attempt to dye it we hade to cut the fabric shorter by over a foot to make it fit and it caused the fine veining that caused the retirement of the replica cowls with flawless fabric.

After that, we are not planning on custom dyeing any of the original fabric.

The modern fabric is closer than anything else we have found to the original fabric.
And let me tell you, we have looked!!!
The fabric content is almost identical to the original fabric and the color is about as close as you could hope for.
I think it reads more like the comic book because the satin goes from blue to black without a white highlight which is what the costume designer was after.

I wish we could go on with the original fabric but the cost and not being able to dye it flawlessly along with the new arrival of such a close contender, it was time to move to the newer option.

Chuck...
Attachments
modern fabric batsuit.jpg
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!
http://www.williamsstudio2.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 am

Excellent and Purrfect.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks Chuck! I love it! Will mine come with a Catwoman (he said sounding like a sexist pig). If not, can I at least get the tropical drink on the counter? It's pink milk right?

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 am

Chuck,

I will also say that although you are such a purist that you sound almost apologetic that you haven't invented time travel so that you can go back in time and bring enough original fabric back for every human on the planet, I really, really like the new fabric. I do think it's closer to the comics. I also think your cowls (regardless of fabric) are closer to the comics than those used in the show. One of the other benefits of the new fabric would appear to me that it has allowed the pricing on cowls to come down significantly (I know, I know, the cheapskate in me is back). Looking at the costume above, I will be proud and happy to own one if it is at all like that. That costume is the best of the tv show with accents from Dick Sprang and a pinch of Neal Adams. You must get tired of being complemented on your work though. On a side note, have you ever known anyone to use the Capezio MT-11 for their leggings?

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks very much!!! :D I like to make everyone happy if I can!

The newer Capezio tights have spandex in them which changes the fit a lot.
They are softer but not as heavy or opaque as the old ones.

The newer fabrics are also harder to dye and get a saturated, even color on. In the washer at least.
I've had to go stovetop for higher heat on some.

Packaged tights also make every wrinkle dye a hair darker, which is minimized when stretched but still there.

Your best bet is using the same fabrics for both pieces to ensure the same color.

Even the old nylon used in the original leotard and tights dyed slightly differently.

Chuck...

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Jeffrey, you had asked about the Jo Anne's fabric several posts back and I missed it (sorry). If you go to their website and use the product number in Jim's post without the first zero, it will take you to the fabric he recommended. I think it is called midevel blue and not navy blue.

Jeffreygullett

Post by Jeffreygullett » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks! Yeah I found the fabric but the color names threw me for a loop. I think I'm going to wait until I get my cowl though to make sure it's a close enough match.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:05 pm

That sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Sat May 16, 2015 10:37 am

Okay. Here is my finished costume. Tights and leotard by On Stage Dancewear with dying by me. Boots by Durans. Gloves by Gaspar with fabric from WilliamsStudios2. Sticker in all but the last photo from my color printer. Everything else from WilliamsStudios2. The first thing that went was the sticker from my printer. The second thing to go will be the tights and leotard because the tights are a little too big.

A special thank you has to go to the Williams for the wonderful job they do. This hobby could not have reached where it has in terms of authenticity without them. They are both artists and professionals and it is difficult to be both. Their marketing shows a great deal of business savvy as well. Their commitment to answering all of our friggin' questions is nothing short of amazing. I am surprised neither of them has gone on a killing spree before now :). I hope you both know that it DOES make a difference.
Attachments
20150411_194227 (450x800).jpg
20150411_194250 (450x800).jpg
20150411_194259 (450x800).jpg
photo 3.JPG

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Sat May 16, 2015 10:42 am

P.S. I will endeavor to teach my sidekick the difference between the Egyptian and the Batusi but she's only 4 so I am going to let it slide for now (but not electric slide--I hate the electric slide).

Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Fantastic!
you look great!
is that a Chuck belt as well?

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm

It is indeed a Chuck belt.

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Sun May 17, 2015 6:37 am

Thank you so much Flyinggrayson!!!!

As soon as I read your post I passed what you said onto Lynne and it really made our day!
That and my attempt to describe the photos of your lovely daughter dancing. :lol:
She is adorable!!! I remember the blur of activity well and it made me smile.
Our girl is 25 and living on the other side of the planet right now.

You really wear it well. I love the photos.
The slightly diffused images remind me of seeing the costume on TV back in the day.
The rear and profile photos show the cape and cowl working together very well and the folds and drape of the cape fit you spot on.

Thanks again and enjoy!!!! :)
Chuck...

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Mon May 18, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks Chuck. The slightly defused photos are the only kind my cellphone knows how to take :). The cape does fit well as do all the pieces for which I turned to you and Lynne.

I'm sure you miss your little girl. I hope she is faring well wherever she is and that she comes back to visit as often as she can. Mine is growing up so quickly and I hope she has some fond memories of the costume you and Lynne made for me. At the very least, I'll have something to wear to scare away suitors (who are a superstitious and cowardly lot) when my daughter reaches her teen years.