Review of official Batman tv series DVD Set

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Batman42

Review of official Batman tv series DVD Set

Post by Batman42 »

hi

can I put a review on here of the official Batman tv series dvd set?

Regards Andrew Beet
UK
John Mack

Re: Review of official Batman tv series DVD Set

Post by John Mack »

I would love to hear your thoughts. Get writing!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

hi here is my review of the official Batman TV Series DVD Set that was released in 2014. I have the region 2 set which was only available in hmv stores here in the uk. I will review this set by starting by reviewing the first season

First Season

as with the episodes some I remember and some I don't I did watch them when they were repeated by various channels here in the UK eg ITV, Channel 4 and ITV 4. Love all the episodes of season 1. I like the mr freeze ones and the joker is wild and batman is riled if memory serves me correctly that is the one where Batman and Robin jump out of the framed picture of themselves if some one can correct me on that one it would be much appreciated. I have to admit this set only took me a month and one day to watch as it is a series I have been waiting to be released onto dvd/blu ray. also love the bookworm ones as well because I do remember TV-AM here in the UK in 1988 would show them in the mornings unfortunately I could only watch the first part then I would have to leave for school so I would miss the second part but I did get to watch them when they were repeated. as with this set Warner Bros have remastered these episodes to a very high standard when watching the episodes you wouldn't think they were made way back in the mid 1960s.

onto Season 2

it's the same with the first season some episodes I remember watching and some I don't love all the episodes of season 2 I really do love the cliffhangers and the fight scenes I love when the villain would get his henchmen to bash Batman And Robin there would be a fight scene and then you'd get whatever predicament Batman and Robin were put into and you'd think how are they going to get out of that? as with the first season warner bros have done a brilliant job of remastering these episodes no scratches or nothing. the episode I remember watching was the ma parker one with the bomb in the batmobile and if it hits 60 mph the bomb will go off. the one with the archer I didn't remember watching and I knew about the John Astin as the riddler one. the catwoman episode hot off the griddle I remembered watching. I remember when the floor starts to get hot and batman and robin have to jump about.

now Season 3
as we all know this was the season where Batgirl was introduced (i'm glad the batgirl network presentation is on the special features disc) the episodes have been remastered as well to the high standards of seasons 1 and 2 I only liked some of the episodes mainly the 2 parters which there weren't many of. the other episodes I liked were the surfing one and the boxing one with the riddler and the Joker's flying saucer one.

Special Features Disc

the special features were really good can't fault them at all love the round table discussion and the one where Adam West goes through his scripts of the first two episodes and the memorabilia featurette. and I liked the bat rarities as well. so my overall opinion of the set I love it and I am so glad I have it in my dvd collection even now i'm rewatching the episodes.

Andrew
UK

as of june 2015 I now have the blu ray set
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Thanks for the review, Andrew, and welcome to the board!
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

thank you glad there is a message board about the 1966 series.

Andrew
UK
High C

Post by High C »

Batman42 wrote:

the special features were really good can't fault them at all love the round table discussion and the one where Adam West goes through his scripts of the first two episodes and the memorabilia featurette. and I liked the bat rarities as well.
Bat rarities were great, wish there could have been more. Liked Adam going through the scripts, but disliked the round table. Have no plans to watch the memorabilia thing, ever.

As I've said before, WB dropped the ball on the extras for the most part. Not interviewing pilot director Robert Butler was a major omission. Some promo and wardrobe test photos from the Fox vault also would have been nice, but I imagine Warner would have had to pay for those. Sigh.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

Does anyone know if the dvd sets have similar issues with the Blu ray sets?
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

not as far as I know.
Andrew
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

also in my review I mentioned something about Batman and Robin jumping out of a picture of themselves I found out what episode it is it's episode 12 of season 1 when the rat's away the mice will play I watched it last night.

Andrew
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

as of August 2016 i've got to buy the blu ray set again as discs 3 and 6 don't play on my blu ray player and yet all the other discs in seasons 1,2,3 play absolutely fine. i must admit i hate the packaging and the way you have get the discs out to watch them

Andrew UK
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

[/quote]
Bat rarities were great, wish there could have been more. Liked Adam going through the scripts, but disliked the round table. Have no plans to watch the memorabilia thing, ever. [/quote]

Ouch! Please reconsider watching "Holy Memorabilia" at least once. You might recognize someone in that segment. ;)
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

I wish the roundtable had more of the original stars than just West (Ward, Newmar, and Craig (this was filmed well before she passed away))
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

i like the holy memorabilia featurette

Regards Andrew
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

also two other episodes i like from season 2 are the penguin's nest and the penguin's last jest. love it when Penguin does everything he can to get arrested by the police or Batman. i also like the fight at the end of the 2nd episode in wayne manor. i still love the scene when one of penguin's henchmen hits penguin by accident and then Robin hits him right in the face.

Andrew UK
PS I've bought the series again on DVD
Batman42

Post by Batman42 »

Batman tv series blu ray.jpg
batman tv series dvd.jpg
hi

i now have both versions of the tv series why you ask? just in case any of the blu ray discs don't play i have the dvd set to fall back on

Andrew UK