Batman BluRay picture size question ?!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatfanRicky

Batman BluRay picture size question ?!

Post by BatfanRicky » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey all! Wondering if anyone can help me here.

I play my BluRay boxset on my Playstation 3 through a 32 inch 1080P TV. The picture and sound is fantastic however the picture is in a box (black bars at both sides). I have flicked through the picture size options on my TV (16:9, auto widescreen, zoom, wide zoom) and the picture does not spread across the whole screen. The best option being 16:9. I have changed my PS3 settings and no difference.

Just wanted to know if this was the case for everyone as I understand it's an old series etc.. However when I play the Batman Movie on BluRay the picture covers the screen so I don't see how it's age would be a problem?

Many thanks!

ELVIS

Re: Batman BluRay picture size question ?!

Post by ELVIS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm

The BATMAN movie was filmed in a widescreen format for motion picture screens. The series was filmed for square box televisions! I don't know much about Playstation settings, but I am able to stretch the television series to fill my screen, although this does result in some distortion.

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:28 pm

The TV show was designed to be seen on a square screen, as the King so aptly put it.
I don't agree with stretching though. I don't like my Batmen squashed. Black bars don't bother me, I prefer to see a film or TV series the way it was supposed to be shown.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

I agree with Andy on keeping it the original size. The beauty of blu-ray is the pristine picture that is given. if one starts stretching and expanding the picture then there's a risk of losing clear, minute details and sharp color that make the set such a gem to have and watch.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey Ricky, it's nice to see you around these parts!

ELVIS and Andy have described exactly the issue you're running into in layman's terms. For the sake of clarity, (and also the fact that this is not the first time the "issue" has been raised) here's the technical answer...it all boils down to the Aspect Ratio of the intended method of distribution at the time. Your TV and your Blu Ray player communicate with each other to display the content by default in the intended aspect ratio programmed into the content being played on the disc. Of course, most TV/Blu Ray players will allow you to override the default/correct ratio, resulting like Andy said in "squashing" or stretching.

The '66 TV series was shot on 35mm film and was intended for broadcast/viewing on a traditional 4:3 aspect ratio television set of the time. Although commonly referred to as "square", that is not strictly accurate as a square aspect ratio would be 1:1.

The 1966 Batman movie on the other hand was of course produced with the intention of a traditional theatrical release (remember in 60s home video was still decades away) and thus it was shot with the intention of cropping into the standard wider presentation aspect ratio of 1.85:1. In terms of the movie and it's releases over the years on VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray, we have seen a variety of "crops" derivative of the original aspect ratio to optimize the filling of the type of screen that each said medium is intended to viewed upon. Nowadays our widescreen TV's have a native aspect ratio that is nearer to the ratio we associate with traditional movie theater presentation.

ELVIS

Post by ELVIS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Yellow Oval wrote:I agree with Andy on keeping it the original size. The beauty of blu-ray is the pristine picture that is given. if one starts stretching and expanding the picture then there's a risk of losing clear, minute details and sharp color that make the set such a gem to have and watch.
I am also in agreement, I don't like the distortion and loss of quality. I just wanted to point out it should be possible to stretch the picture if the viewer prefers it that way.

dodgr31

Post by dodgr31 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I don't know what features you have on your TV, but I have an option for (Wide Fit) in which I can also adjust the Horizontal and Vertical aspects. I have checked both ways, Wide and standard, really not losing much at all, clarity is great. I Don't really care for the bars, on movies I don't mind the Horizontal bars. I suffered thru a small black and white TV when the show first aired, so this is a masterpiece by comparison to watch, lol. Just my 2 cents.

chetchumley

Post by chetchumley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:41 pm

also enlarge my picture to fit my H-DEF 62" screen....with the zoom option...i understand it was meant to be seen as originally filmed...with side bars due to t.v. sizes today...but i cannnot stand seeing these bars !!! full screen anyday !! and i really dont notice a diference in pic quality......sorry all you purists !!! ;)

BatfanRicky

Post by BatfanRicky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Many thanks everyone!

Nice to hear from you too Ben, I have not been active on here recently, going to make an effort to start visiting more regularly again.

I should have figured out why the Movie is larger on screen myself because obviously a theatre screen is larger - makes sense duh! I have got used to watching it in a "box" now, it's better than having a slightly distorted zoomed in picture. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything out with the picture size.

Thanks again batfans!

Batman65

Post by Batman65 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am

I have the standard resolution green box set from batmanondvd and it looks fantastic and filled my whole screen without any adjusting on my part what so ever. My blu ray player up converts and it looks great, no black bars.Not sure why the blu ray would display that way.

Robin_78

Post by Robin_78 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:13 pm

As a few have previously said earlier in the thread, the TV show was originally shot in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio intended to fit 4x3 TV screens and is presented in it's original format on blu-ray.

The movie was shot in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and as it was intended as a theatrical release, it completely fills todays standard 16x9 (Widescreen) TV screen. The black bars on top and below other movies are another story. All completely normal and what you see on your screens is completely normal and as intended.