Has anyone ever purchased this costume?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
The Batker

Has anyone ever purchased this costume?

Post by The Batker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 pm

This costume?

I'm sure by how long this forum has been around that someone else has brought this up before. I was just curious if someone knew how good or bad the quality is?

Flyinggrayson

Re: Has anyone ever purchased this costume?

Post by Flyinggrayson » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:20 pm

If you search this forum and the old one for "Evolution Props" or "Action Costumes" (not sure whether or not they are the same but they use the same photos in their advertising) you will find plenty of references. I myself considered buying parts from them but ultimately decided against it. Advice I was given was that they are pretty good but that if getting an "as close to screen accurate costume as possible" is important to you, there may be other choices you should consider. There are lots of ways to approach a Batman costume. I've looked over this and the old forum extensively and I would say that today, we newbies (I'm pretty new to this board as well), are spoiled by the wealth of knowledge and quality vendors available to us even if we are deprived of things like vintage, 100% nylon tights and tunics and original lastec fabric for gloves and trunks. Happy hunting!

Thefanboy59

Post by Thefanboy59 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 pm

My first cape was an Evolution cape. It wasn't horrible and the price wasn't bad. It just lacked the fabric size to get the proper cape folds. The trunks on the other hand didn't fit right on me. I hope that helps you.

Wibble

Post by Wibble » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Evolution Props tend to be more at the mascot/Halloween costume end of the quality spectrum - the name would crop up on the 501st boards (Star Wars costuming) and people were advised that it would not be suitable for "clearance". Obviously, clearance (attaining a set standard of screen accuracy) isn't an issue here so it really depends on whether you want something that is identical to the original Batman costume or simply recognizable as being a Batman costume?

capecodbatman

Post by capecodbatman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:25 pm

go to williams studio they are the best in the world,nobody does it better...no one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T Butler

Post by T Butler » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:24 am

I have the gloves and trunks from them (Action/Evolution costumes) and am pleased - the color blends well with my Chuck Williams cowl and cape. I used them for convenience and price - I had the primary pieces from Williams Studio (body suit, cowl, cape) and wanted to complete the costume.

The Action/Evolution gloves - only a serious fan would notice the fins do not decrease in size the way the Adam West/Gaspar gloves did. The solution (for me) would be to get the cloth and have them made by Gaspar. If Williams Studio made the gloves, I might have ordered them. The do offer the fabric and sewing pattern if you wanted to do it yourself or have them made by a tailor/seamstress. I found the better ones at Wedding/Bridal shops of all places, not my local dry cleaner as I first thought.

The Action/Evolution trunks were a little "boxy" and had a "puffy flap" through the groin. I spent about $10 to have an alteration and they look pretty good. (They also sewed the cape/cowl buttons on the suit for me).

Good luck and enjoy the process- it has taken some of us years to put a good Adam West costume together and is still a work in progress.

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:09 am

This is timely!

We have partnered with Gaspar Gloves and are awaiting our first order of Bat gloves to arrive in the shop.

In the past we have provided the matching fabric for clients to get their gloves made at Gaspar Gloves.
Now we just had the most popular sizes premade and soon to be in stock and ready to go.

We are also working to do the same with the trunks and have several popular sizes pre-made and in stock.

I don't want to get on a soap box here but there is a wide gap between what is "identical to the original" and "recognizable".

After making these for a while I have learned that a major bar to judge by is the quality of the materials and work.
If it's well made it doesn't matter if it's not identical to the screen used piece. You still have a well made costume piece that stands on it's own.

On the other hand if it's not either well made or identical to the original , and you've spent hundreds of dollars, what have you really got?

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!
http://www.williamsstudio2.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:23 am

Great idea I think. You can help Gaspar sell more gloves. They offer a discount to you for buying in bulk. Consumers maybe pay the same price as always for your intermediation but they are assured of quality control and that fabric all goes together. Everyone wins.

Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:26 am

I think that's called Coopetition!

danbar

Post by danbar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Chuck Williams wrote:This is timely!

We have partnered with Gaspar Gloves and are awaiting our first order of Bat gloves to arrive in the shop.

In the past we have provided the matching fabric for clients to get their gloves made at Gaspar Gloves.
Now we just had the most popular sizes premade and soon to be in stock and ready to go.

We are also working to do the same with the trunks and have several popular sizes pre-made and in stock.

I don't want to get on a soap box here but there is a wide gap between what is "identical to the original" and "recognizable".

After making these for a while I have learned that a major bar to judge by is the quality of the materials and work.
If it's well made it doesn't matter if it's not identical to the screen used piece. You still have a well made costume piece that stands on it's own.

On the other hand if it's not either well made or identical to the original , and you've spent hundreds of dollars, what have you really got?

Chuck...
Chuck, this is great news! Will this partnership also include the "Wonder Boy" gloves? I purchased mine from Gaspar, and they are a great quality glove, but much too long to be accurate to the screen used gloves. It would be awesome to have your quality control along with their glove-making skills (including the original pattern that they purportedly have for the gloves). Thanks!

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am

Hi Danbar,

Not at this time. We're just teaming up on the Bat gloves since we supply the matching fabric to the rest of our costumes.

If you have questions about your Robin gloves you should ask them.
Photos help if you can show the differences you are seeing.
Did you order a custom size?

danbar

Post by danbar » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:50 am

Chuck Williams wrote:Hi Danbar,
If you have questions about your Robin gloves you should ask them.
Photos help if you can show the differences you are seeing.
Did you order a custom size?
Chuck - I just selected the appropriate size using their "Sizing Guide" for their 2404 Gauntlet Gloves. This particular pair of gloves is advertised on their website as such: "These gloves were designed with the original pattern from the Batman TV show in 1966. This particular pair belongs to Robin, Batman's sidekick. A collectors dream item!" So I wasn't really aware that I needed to request anything special. I really like the gloves, they are just too long to be accurate.
Here are my gloves.
Attachments
gloves__1430059697_108_55_70_53.jpg

Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:44 am

Probably just got the model numbers mixed up somewhere.

The cuff should be 5 inches long. The glove unlined.

This is my glove from them and a rubbing from the screen used glove with vent measurements.

They are good people and just want happy clients so I think you should talk to them if you are unhappy with it.

Chuck...
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPGb.jpg

The Batker

Post by The Batker » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Thank you all for your help, I must say I think you all helped me from making a mistake. For me it's about the quality of the product. Like I've always been told, you get what you pay for.

The Batker

Post by The Batker » Mon May 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Chuck Williams wrote:This is timely!

I couldn't be happier to read this, I've been questioning what to do about gloves as I try to build my batsuit. I can't sew on a sewing machine and no one I knows can either. I've thought about trying to teach myself... lol but I can see that not going to well.