New Hot Toys 66 Batman Variant

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Ben Bentley

Re: New Hot Toys 66 Batman Variant

Post by Ben Bentley »

johnny6666 wrote:There's been some suggestion that the coloring of this 'variant' might anticipate the forthcoming '66 Batman animated film - but I tend to think that's a tenuous justification at best.
I don't subscribe to that theory one bit. The notice with the figure still reads "1960s TV Series".
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Terrible variant. It seems like HT is catering to fans who (in some way) wanted their TV Batman mixed with the 60's comic version. There's a reason the color scheme for comics is rarely used for adaptations.
AndyFish wrote: Heard some bad news regarding the Batmobile-- although I heard it from a Sideshow rep not hot-toys themselves. Rolling wheel issue appears to hard to overcome. I'm told it's not coming out.
I would have preferred other TV character figures over a Batmobile, anyway. Its not a deal breaker to have B&R without the car.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Jimbits76

Post by Jimbits76 »

I have my Dynamic Duo posed with the Newmar Catwoman Maquette and they look damn fine together so having the car aint a big issue...I'd have to save up to pay for the thing anyway.

Other hot toys figs of Villians etc would be nice but I'm happy with Tweeterhead to pick up a Joker or Riddler in the future.
johnny6666

Post by johnny6666 »

Jimbits76 wrote:I have my Dynamic Duo posed with the Newmar Catwoman Maquette and they look damn fine together so having the car aint a big issue...I'd have to save up to pay for the thing anyway.
Mr. Jimbits, would you be able to post some photos of your Hot Toys B&R with your Newmar maquette? I'm on the fence about the buying the maquette, largely because there's not many photos of it displayed with the HT B&R. It appears that the maquette is slightly taller than B&R - would that be correct?
Jimbits76

Post by Jimbits76 »

johnny6666 wrote:
Jimbits76 wrote:I have my Dynamic Duo posed with the Newmar Catwoman Maquette and they look damn fine together so having the car aint a big issue...I'd have to save up to pay for the thing anyway.
Mr. Jimbits, would you be able to post some photos of your Hot Toys B&R with your Newmar maquette? I'm on the fence about the buying the maquette, largely because there's not many photos of it displayed with the HT B&R. It appears that the maquette is slightly taller than B&R - would that be correct?
Sure. CW is taller due to the base but it's not a great issue for me. I'm waiting for the Riddler and Joker to see what kind of bases they are on before maybe looking at similar stone bases for Adam and Burt.

Apologies for the lousy pics...

johnny6666

Post by johnny6666 »

Thanks very much! :)
bnkpro

Post by bnkpro »

AndyFish wrote:I'd like to say the blue isn't as bright in person, but it is. It grew on me the more I walked by it, but then I'm a fan of the comics of the era as I am the show. Looks like the same sculpt to me. Ears are still flopsy mopsy.

Heard some bad news regarding the Batmobile-- although I heard it from a Sideshow rep not hot-toys themselves. Rolling wheel issue appears to hard to overcome. I'm told it's not coming out.

Sideshow seems to (without any statement) have removed any trace of the 66 Batmobile from their site too.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

NJ_Batfan wrote:From the Hot Toys booth at San Diego Comic Con:11696014_1458032587825264_8620735000646781160_n.jpg

As much as I like the graphics and new accessories, this odd combination of the TV Batman with Silver Age comic book blue is a pass for me. I was hoping to see a new character unveiled.

Picture credit to the sideshowcollectors.com message board.
Whatever happened to this variant?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

NJ_Batfan wrote:From the Hot Toys booth at San Diego Comic Con:11696014_1458032587825264_8620735000646781160_n.jpg

As much as I like the graphics and new accessories, this odd combination of the TV Batman with Silver Age comic book blue is a pass for me. I was hoping to see a new character unveiled.

Picture credit to the sideshowcollectors.com message board.
Whatever happened to this variant?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Very handy.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

I agree, the coloring looks more like the Super Friends version of Batman.
However, I do like that Bat Phone.
BATWINGED HORNET

Jimbits76 wrote:I can't understand why they didn't produce a pink cowl variant or at least give us shorts and a board.
Because that surfing Batman is not the mass appeal version of '66 Batman TV series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

My friend Ed visited the Hot Toys Batman exhibit and is friends with a top HT executive. Ed just posted on a Batman board the 1/6 1966 Batmobile was canceled due to expense and low demand. But he wrote Hot Toys is considering a Julie Newmar Catwoman and Batgirl is definitely "on the cards" for 2017. This news can be considered official.
BATWINGED HORNET

BatToys wrote:My friend Ed visited the Hot Toys Batman exhibit and is friends with a top HT executive. Ed just posted on a Batman board the 1/6 1966 Batmobile was canceled due to expense and low demand. But he wrote Hot Toys is considering a Julie Newmar Catwoman and Batgirl is definitely "on the cards" for 2017. This news can be considered official.
Interesting. I've said it before, but companies charging large amounts of money for what--at the end of the day--is a better produced toy--is outrageous. When dealing with a 50 year old property that has not been constantly marketed (like the original Star Trek), and celebrated throughout the generations (again, like the original Star Trek) producing expensive toys-even at a limited number--is a serious risk. There must be a base of potential buyers worth the production cost. Of whatever amount of 1966 Batman fans are around, i'm guessing the majority are not interested in high price Batmobile collectibles, and even if some were, they might pass because of that hard to justify price.
Beneath Wayne Manor
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Ok if there is no demand for the Batmobile why is it on Sideshow Freaks forum that topic has more pages than anything else concerning 1966 Batman? It's the most iconic car in movie/television history. I just don't understand. Also, why would they bother with Joker and this stupid Batman variant that most everyone hates? I wish we could get some honest real answers.