The ROBIN Statue from Tweeterhead is shipping next week!!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
burkestudio

Re: The ROBIN Statue from Twitterhead is shipping next week!!!

Post by burkestudio » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Would it look too "cheesy" to make a piece of wood to fill in that gap? This way the statues can remain on their bases as they were designed???

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio

Mauled Vader

Post by Mauled Vader » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 pm

To The Batpoles! wrote:Awesome! Thanks so very much for adding the photo for me, Ben! :)

So....??? What do you folks think of Batman being on the right instead?

=Frank=
Doesn't your revised layout have Batman on the left now? :?

Anyway, when I first saw the photos of the 2 prototypes, I was wondering how they would look with the figures reversed: Batman on the left and Robin on the right when looking at the computer. Personally, I prefer them with their bodies facing inwards towards each other as opposed to away. It's too bad that the pre-drilled holes make the bases separate that far apart.

I hope to get my set from Tweeterhead soon... :roll:

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:31 pm

I traced the base. Next step is to place the holes in the correct spots. I may also shorten the depth so the fit in the curio cabinet. When I get the pieces, I'll post them in the craft area so you can make your own. This will reverse the figures. Ironically, the back to back pose is the way they would really face those dastardly fiends.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 am

Mauled Vader wrote:
To The Batpoles! wrote:Awesome! Thanks so very much for adding the photo for me, Ben! :)

So....??? What do you folks think of Batman being on the right instead?

=Frank=
Mauled Vader wrote: "Doesn't your revised layout have Batman on the left now?"

YES! You are CORRECT sir! I just went back and changed my post! Thanks for alerting me!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Well guys and gals, I finally had a free moment. Here's a quicky of the nearly completed base:
Head on
DSCN3907.JPG
From Right
DSCN3908.JPG
From Left
DSCN3910.JPG
Probably hit it with another shot of gray primer (surprisingly good match to the factory base.

This is 1" Oak, but 10" wide, and I believe the real base is 12" wide (round numbers).

I still need to put felt pads on the bottom, just checking the fit and determining if I want to hit it with a second coat.

I moved the new holes wider than the original to minimize contact between the capes. They are at least 1" wider than the originals. Also, you can't move the figures back too far or they'll hit the batcomputer.

I also had a chat with Chad of Tweeterhead, and he was super. More Villains on the way!

It's OK for 30 minutes effort (or less). The positioning took the longest.

To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:35 pm

NICE WORK SZABOL!
Would love a Template of your base!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Frank, I will have it for you tomorrow night. The pegs are 3/4", so you need a thick base, about 1"

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:06 am

That works a lot better, nice job Lou!

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:54 pm

OK, here's the schematic. I did it in scale, but there's some flexibility on your part.
DSCN3912.JPG
Schematic
This should be 1" thick solid wood (vs plywood, although particle board would work too)

I took the statues off the base and traced the base onto card stock 11x17 (you UK guys will need to translate to A3 or similar).
From the centerline, measure 3 5/8" to 3 3/4" away from the center and no closer than 1 1/2" from the front edge (Batcomputer is at rear edge). The smaller measure will have their capes touching, the larger means no cape contact. The hole you drill has a slight rearward angle so the rear shoe can rest on the base. The feet will be positioned as shown, but you can vary them to square up.

The pegs are 3/4" long, which is why you want the 1" base thickness. The drill size is about 3/16" or so. I didn't measure it, but hold your bits up to the holes in the original base. It should be a hair larger. Test fit so you don't go too big, and if the rear foot doesn't touch, just angle the drill back slightly and retest.

If you want to not cut the front angles in the wood base, you can widen their positions to highlight the Batcomputer, something I am considering. Looks similar to home plate in baseball, with the pointy end cut off by the bat computer.

A table saw will complete this in about 20 minutes, hand saw in 30.

I filed all the edges to prevent splinters, and propped it up on the corners I cut on newspaper and hit it with two coats of gray primer (Walmart, Kmart etc). If you want to draw in patterns or have a router, you can get real fancy. I used 8 1" felt pads for the bottom.
DSCN3914.JPG
No fingers were lost during this project.

burkestudio

Post by burkestudio » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Lou,

The positioning came out great!!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio