Riddler Model Sneak Preview!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:10 pm

chrisbcritter

Re: Riddler Model Sneak Preview!

Post by chrisbcritter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm

That face is amazing! Are the other three buttons going to be added?

svl

Post by svl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 am

Looks like a much older version of Gorshin. Still cool, but the face sculpt is a good bit off from the art (and the decade appropriate Frank) IMO.

burkestudio

Post by burkestudio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Awesome!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Why is the face so different between the model and the art? Might want to fix that so people actually know what they're buying.

And for the record, I like the art a lot better. The kit makes him look like he just got shot.

SteveA

Post by SteveA » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:15 pm

SprangFan wrote:
And for the record, I like the art a lot better. The kit makes him look like he just got shot.
Agree ! :( So far not the best of the kits

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:49 pm

They did say it was a prototype shown, so perhaps buttons will be added. The paint work on the face may make him appear older. Remember the Aurora Wolf man - that look least like a) the package art and b) like the movie figure. Still one of my favorites, but I'm a pushover for a fluffy Wolf Man
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:11 am

If it's too late to reposition the head (it looks better with his chin down), maybe they could at least rotate the left hand so it's palm-up, like in the artwork. That would make it look more like he's delivering an overblown soliloquy ("shouting to the heavens"), which would be in character.

As it is, the palm-forward pose suggests a defensive posture, and combined with the backwards lean of the shoulders and head, and the open mouth, really does make it look like he's just been mortally wounded.

The artwork makes me hear Frank's laugh. The kit keeps reminding me of Lee Harvey Oswald in the basement of the Dallas Police station.

At best, I guess it looks a little like Frank's doing an Al Jolson impression, and we've caught him mid-"Mammy."

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:21 am

I agree with SprangFan on this one, i'm much more taken by the great artwork that Christopher Franchi did for the box than I am by the sculpt of the model.

The shape of the mouth particularly does not scream Frank to me, whereas the artwork facial expressions are on point.

COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:17 am

I have a resin copy of the sculpt and the paintjob DOES alter the appearance/likeness somewhat. Considering the face is about the size of my thumbnail (unlike toy prototypes which are often DOUBLE the size of the final product, the Moebius sculpts are done 1/1) it is a REMARKABLE likeness! You can even see the veining at the temples! Also bear in mind these paintjobs are generally done with VERY little turnaround time and tend to be exaggerated in the contrast department to account for tradeshow lighting. Along those lines, the heads tend to be positioned looking upward, as table placement generally requires a viewer to be looking DOWN onto a display. Anyone who recalls the original photos of the Batman resin prototype that has actually built the kit can testify to this difference. Full disclosure here though, the head position in the sculpture does NOT match the angle in the painting, but neither is it as tilted up/back as in the display model. Having said that, remember this is a MODEL KIT, so repositioning the head should be a matter of removing a bit of material from the front of the neck, maybe a bit of the collar, and the hand will simply need to be flipped over (the pics I have from sculptor Yagher actually show it in that configuration when he sculpted it). Head and hands are SEPARATE from the body and arms to make painting (and any customizing/repositioning) easier. BTW, as was done with Catwoman and Robin, I believe the kit will include optional parts; two different head sculpts (hatted and bareheaded with the option of adding the mask) and a second right hand if you choose not to utilize the cane, which IIRC was actually used only in John Astin's second season appearance as the Riddler.
Long awaited Robin kit is have some final tweaks done, so Penguin may be the next to actually arrive in the spring. I believe the Riddler is scheduled for summer.
Tom

Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks Tom ... Appreciate the Intel!!

Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:49 pm

One more question
Are all those ? Decals?

Batman65

Post by Batman65 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:26 am

Compared to the others that have been released so far, this one definitely misses the mark. Painting does not hide the fact that the face sculpt just does not look right. I agree with the others, he looks like he just got shot.

westbatman

Post by westbatman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Actually Frank wore two different suits in the show and one wasn't green with questions marks on it.

I have to disagree with peoples comments about the bad paint job distracting from the likeness, it does and I am looking forward to this kit.

A lot of people on this board are too hard to please sometimes.

Andy

Batman65

Post by Batman65 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:35 pm

westbatman wrote:Actually Frank wore two different suits in the show and one wasn't green with questions marks on it.

I have to disagree with peoples comments about the bad paint job distracting from the likeness, it does and I am looking forward to this kit.

A lot of people on this board are too hard to please sometimes.

Andy
I have painted enough models to know paint does not hide bad casting jobs. I stand by my comment.