Riddler Model Sneak Preview!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
rajung

Re: Riddler Model Sneak Preview!

Post by rajung » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:01 pm

For me ,this kit could be molded in pink and that would not be the reason why it doesn't resemble Frank in the most recognizable pose as most of us remember.The body language is great and matches the box art to almost each crease,or visa versa,other than the hand.That is no big deal.
Trimming the neck area and lowering the head to the front would look like he's puking.
Don't want to bash too much but " resemble" is broad.
Everything has some resemblance to something if you look long enough and its " close"

COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Without posting photos of the casting I have or the two different head sculpts (which I do NOT have permission to do) I will stand by my comments as well. I believe that Warner has approved the sculpture, but this does not mean changes will not be made before the kit goes into production. And as always, the transition from resin prototype to styrene production piece ALWAYS results in a loss of detail. Chances are Moebius WILL release photos of an assembled kit or photos of a test shot BEFORE anyone is asked to plunk down their hard earned cash. I AM in line for a test shot, as I am planning a resin replacement head for this kit; Darren McGavin as Karl Kolchak from the "Nightstalker" TV movie. When/if I get one (a test shot), I will ask Frank from Moebius if I can post pictures. To answer your question Mike, yes, the question marks will be decals.
Tom

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 am

I'm going to backtrack here and confess I don't have any of the models in this line, and likely won't start with this one. My history with model kits has not been a happy one, and I know my limitations.

Consequently, I've never seen one of these things in package, but assuming they come in a "blind" box with just the artwork and no window, I think it's important to have the kit match the art. Nobody wants to buy a product based on the box art only to find the actual contents differ (not that it would be the first time; that's one of the things that turned me off about models, albeit a distant second behind my own gross incompetence at construction and painting). Just telling folks, "Hey, you can always trim and reposition the head to make it look like what you thought you were paying for" is not good enough.

If they want to stick with the "tilted back" head, then I'm guessing the easiest thing would be to change the art, not the model. But either way, they should match. (And, a bit off-topic, someone should sell all these images as art prints. Those I *would* buy).

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 am

Oh, and Darren McGavin as the Riddler would be fun to see.

Or is the plan to apply a new paint job and have Kolchak in his seersucker suit? Maybe replacing Astin's staff with a crucifix? Then, the "fearful/defensive" pose of this thing would work a lot better for me.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:36 pm

SprangFan wrote:Why is the face so different between the model and the art? Might want to fix that so people actually know what they're buying.

And for the record, I like the art a lot better. The kit makes him look like he just got shot.
SprangFan, maybe the Batgirl model will be sculpted in position giving him an "Yvonne" patented kick in the "question marks"! :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:06 pm

SprangFan wrote:Oh, and Darren McGavin as the Riddler would be fun to see.

Or is the plan to apply a new paint job and have Kolchak in his seersucker suit? Maybe replacing Astin's staff with a crucifix? Then, the "fearful/defensive" pose of this thing would work a lot better for me.
Sprangfan; it is just a VERY happy accident that the figure's suit is not far off from Kolchak's. AND that the pose will also work. Plan is to sculpt a replacement head, hands and sneakers (hands will most likely be holding a mallet and stake. Actually the head is already finished; we are using a VERY detailed 1/4 scale portrait by Mark VanTine. It has been laserscanned and reduced in size with EXCELLENT results. I am waiting on a test shot of the plastic parts from Moebius so we can get the size perfect. As for building the kit as the Riddler, I am thinking about swapping out the cane for a frosting applicator from the bakery scene in "Death in Slow Motion", or perhaps the rolled-up legal document from "Hi Diddle Riddle" and creating a pair of bat-cuffs to dangle from his left wrist.
Tom

SprangFan

Post by SprangFan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I'd love to see that model of our boy Carl when you have it ready. I loved that show. But if anything, all those little stripes would be even more maddening to paint than the question marks...

Speaking of Kolchak's legendary sense of sartorial style, did you catch the recent X-Files episode with guest star Rhys Darby? ("Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster") If not, dash over to the Fox website and check it out; you'll love it.