Diamond Unveils Shakespeare Bust at NY Toy Fair

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
rickrickrick

Re: Diamond Unveils Shakespeare Bust at NY Toy Fair

Post by rickrickrick »

I was determined to find a better pic of the Shakespeare bust, and I finally found an alternate view of it on the Diamond Select Facebook page.
66shakesbust1.jpg
I have to say, if this picture is truer to its real color, that's MUCH better than the yellowy gold color depicted on the 13thdimension website. Also, in this pic, we get a better sense of its scale, which looks very nice.

So, maybe a reason to be more hopeful.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Much better view. Lighting makes a difference.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I so rarely say "good enough" in this wave of largely unimpressive Bat-66 merchandise, but the bust is good enough. he owner of the original is not scanning for mass production, so the Diamond version makes a good stand-in.
Beneath Wayne Manor
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

The owner of the original payed around $40,000 for the original piece so I don't believe anyone could sweet talk him into having a mold or scan made from it. If he did and all of a sudden there are 3,000 exact replicas out there the only thing that sets his apart is that he has the original. Trust me he won't let it be done, I asked once if he would share a high res photo of the round switch plate, I never received a response. And I totally understand.

I am guessing there might be another "original" floating around out there. I have high-res images of the original from the auction and there is definitely a mold line visible.

I think the diamond select is a good cost saving alternative but I will see if I can alter one. I have a source for the accurate switch, light and the switch plate.

If an accurate sculpt were to be made would you want a clean version our one with all it's warts and bumps? Would you want the screw hols in the base where they screwed it to the desk so it wouldn't tip over (the thing is top heavy)?

Andy
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

hopefully a true to life batphone would be made soon. :D
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

As I went searching for a more accurate release date for the Shakespeare bust (couldn't find one - "autumnish" is the best I could do), I came across THIS, which explains a lot to me. It was not sculpted - it was 3D printed. To me, that is why the piece lacks personality. Gimme someone skilled tossing clay around anytime! (Paging Chuck Williams!)
shakespeare_batman66_01.jpg
That being said, of COURSE I will be lined up to buy one. At $65 retail, it's hard to imagine a better option.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

I started a sculpt about a month before Diamond made it's announcement and scrapped it once I saw the 3D sculpt and it's price point. Yes, the sculpt is not exact but for the money it will work for me just fine. I have sourced the right bulb, switch and switch plate to update the diamond bust if the plastic is thick enough.

To do the sculpt, mold, rotational cast the pieces, add electronics and then the cost of shipping and packaging just didn't justify it for me. Plus the concern of the liability was always in the back of my head. Working for a company and seeing what dumb things people sue for (usually their fault) amazes me. In the past I have "accurized" several of the Scott Fernester Shakespeare busts for people on this board and I remember an email I received from one member who was madder than a hornet because the electronics on his failed, never mind that he had plugged it into a space heater for some reason but he said it was my fault. I just finished "accurizing" one for Mark Racop last month.

I also emailed Scott to get him to re-release his again but never received a response. I know he has one of his that he could recast and it wouldn't be a problem because he was the original sculptor but he wants no part of it I guess.

If Chuck Williams did do a sculpt of the Shakespeare bust it would be the one to have for sure.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

What is it you do when you 'accurize' one?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

The old resin ones were painted with a high gloss copper paint which is incorrect to the show. The one Diamond has shown looks closer to the antique copper but it is still not red enough.

I dismantle the bust, remove the neckpiece, the incorrect light, and incorrect switch.

The bust is then prepared for a new, correct paint job. I cut a new neckpiece and drill holes for the switch and light. These pieces are repainted, antiqued and coated with a lacquer dull coat. Then everything is reassembled.

If you need to discuss further please email me at futura55@msn.com thanks.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I am going wireless with mine. I got so used to lamp switches in the base of a lamp at hotels that I bought a wireless battery operated button that activates a relay to control the lamp on the nightstand. I'll use the same concept in the base of this one to activate a light when we head out for the evening.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Thanks for the info. westbatman, I may be in touch w/ you.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I think it would be cool to use it to control a garage door opener instead of just turning lights on.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Batman65 wrote:I think it would be cool to use it to control a garage door opener instead of just turning lights on.
Garage Door opener would be sweet!!!

Maybe I can make the interior of the door look like a big bookcase ;)

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

burkestudio wrote:
Batman65 wrote:I think it would be cool to use it to control a garage door opener instead of just turning lights on.
Garage Door opener would be sweet!!!

Maybe I can make the interior of the door look like a big bookcase ;)

-Jeremy
Now you're talkin!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Hi gang,

Can one of you keep an eye out for the Previews issue that has this in it. That way we can order from our comic shops. I hope that's within the Merchandise rules.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!