Diamond Unveils Shakespeare Bust at NY Toy Fair

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Ben Bentley

Re: Diamond Unveils Shakespeare Bust at NY Toy Fair

Post by Ben Bentley »

Szabol wrote:Hi gang,

Can one of you keep an eye out for the Previews issue that has this in it. That way we can order from our comic shops. I hope that's within the Merchandise rules.
All good, Lou.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Andy G. (westbatman) is THE authority on the bust.

He's painted more and researched the details more than anyone I know. Just hearing his analysis of the costs would make this a very limited market for a super high end replica.

As much as I wish the owner would let his be scanned, I do understand the "why not".

After seeing some of the original costume parts I think what makes these things so unique are the weird flaws and "why did they do this? " that everything seems to have and also makes replicating well just from photos almost impossible.

When you sculpt something you just naturally want to make things symmetrical and smooth and when you try and make something wonky, it tends to looks forced.

These things were taken to a "good enough" stage and they ran with it.
Trying to match where another artist said "enough" and stop is really hard for me!

I agree there is probably another copy somewhere BUT the seam line may have been from a plaster waste mold off the original clay.
If I was making a cheap one off or trying to keep the cost down, I'd make a plaster mold from the clay, clean and seal the plaster and laminate the fiberglass in it for the one bust I need.
It may survive the casting process because the details are soft.
But back in the day they made waste molds or multiple part plaster molds for everything.

Wireless is the way to go! I have a wireless switch for my vacuum pump that is under the edge of my work bench so I don't have to fumble under a dirty bench to turn on the pump.

This looks like a nice piece and at the very least it should be a fantastic point of departure model for someone to take it to the next level.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Well said. It reminds me of your replica cowl description versus the deluxe cosplay cowl in another thread. One has blemishes from the original casting, one is cleaned up. I think there are two batarangs whizzing around out there too, one with nicks from show use version, and one with a cleaned up mold.

I'd like to know if the original was cast just for the show, reused from another set, or readily available on Hollywood and Vine.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I've always wondered, too, if it was a found object and re-tooled for the show, or if it was created from scratch. So many of the show props look like they were one-day builds - and often built around something off the rack. Sculpting, molding, casting, and painting the Shakespeare bust would have been a slow process. But chopping the head off of a pre-existing piece neatly so it could be hinged would also be extremely difficult, so, I don't know. I have searched for years for what could have been the source sculpt if it were something re-purposed, but I've never found anything even remotely close. I suppose my final guess would have to be that it was a one-off just for the show.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

It does have that "back of the prop room" look to it!
Could easily have been a found item made for set dressing that was altered.

I always wanted to retrofit a switch into a bust of the Bard that the TV show bust was inspired by.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Historical artifact
Historical artifact
image.jpeg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
That bust is considered a historical artifact. Looks vaguely familiar

https://hankwhittemore.wordpress.com/20 ... -own-bust/

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/49 ... peare-bust
Auction of original
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

How to modify the bust:
http://mods-n-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how ... s-0140617/

Nice pictures and write-up
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Based on the base design I always thought they were going for the Garrick Club plaster bust by John Cheere.
Apparently he sold a lot of these back in his day.

I always preferred the Roubiliac terracotta bust and the marble copies.
Put a switch in one of those and it's fun without being too literal.

Either one of these is a far better sculpture than what they used but hey, it's TV not an art museum! :D
Attachments
bust_(LFRoubiliac).jpg
bust_(LFRoubiliac).jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
Garrick Club Risdell Shout.jpg

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Yes, that bottom one always struck me as what they modeled theirs after. As you say, especially the base, but even the folds in the collar and the upturned corners of the mustache are similar.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Previews June but with a price hike

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/STL013878

Publisher: DIAMOND SELECT TOYS LLC
A Diamond Select Toys release! Quick, to the Bat-poles! Okay, so you haven't installed those Bat-poles yet, but if you keep your spare change in this vinyl bank, you'll save up for them in no time! Based on the bust of Shakespeare that unlocked the moving bookcase in the Batman Classic TV Series, this life-size vinyl bank features a working neck hinge, so you can tilt the head back to reveal a dial and button, as well as a real, working coin slot! With a coin access door hidden in the base, no one will suspect that this realistically painted bust is secretly a bank, or that you're secretly Batman. Packaged in a full-color box. Sculpted by Paul Harding!
Item Code: JUN162388In Shops: 10/26/2016SRP: $85.00
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

They don't show the neck hinge.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

A "real, working coin slot!"? Amazing technology to be sure.
simm

Post by simm »

A vinyl coin bank for $85 is going to be a tough sell. I expect to see these clearanced priced in time.
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

There are others who have it at lower prices. Not sure if I can mention them here.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

johndeblasi wrote:There are others who have it at lower prices. Not sure if I can mention them here.
You certainly can post links to suppliers/retailers. Mentioning pricing of licensed merch is fine, especially in the context of tipping people off to a good deal.