Black Leather The Bat Cowl! What might have been!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
svl

Re: Black Leather The Bat Cowl! What might have been!

Post by svl »

Good question Andy brings up- how hot is it in there? When I first saw it on FB I thought it would be awesome to use on stage with one of the bands I work with, but thought it might be too much of a cranium cooker to jump around in.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks for the insights guys! I appreciate it!

Exactly how Lynne saw it. She thought that seeing Adams face would sway some people into not seeing the more modern or vintage character of The Bat and would just see the TV show.

No, that's a Patrick McGoohan head I just finished for my Scarecrow of Romney Marsh display. I cast it up with no eyes for a neutral look.

It's actually no warmer than the cloth cowls. It breathes and is actually a little cool to the touch.

The pleather cowl we made . Now THAT was an oven!

We're workin' on em Andy!
Attachments
DSC_0070 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0044 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0020 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0022 - Copy.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

This is an absolute stunner! The look is so natural, it makes me wonder why this was never done before.
Now if the cape, trunks, boots and gloves were made to match... :shock:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

For me, that's the best Batman cowl I've ever seen. 1940s to present, that beats them all. We were discussing the cowls through the years on a nerd board I moderate just yesterday. Most agreed that they became increasingly silly through the later films/years.

I'm not a huge fan of the Bale cowls, particularly his third one. It really wasn't any different than the Kilmer and Clooney versions. Most on the board seemed happy with the Affleck cowl returning to a shorter ear and less sculptured shape, myself included. Still, this one has them all beat. Perfect. A tip of the cap, sir.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks so much Guys!! :D
I appreciate it!!!

I just wanted to add that all the photos posted earlier, there is a TON of light on this cowl to show the details.
When seen in room light or lower light levels, it looks more like this...
Attachments
DSC_0163 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Chuck, you need to get in contact w/ Ben Affleck - who knows, perhaps this could be in one of the upcoming movies (which I believe are to take place before BvS events.)
Attachments
Batfleck CW cowl.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This is yet another true piece of craftsmanship from the hands of Yourself and your Good Lady.

My mind has been racing ever since seeing this initially as to what the rest of the suit would look like...
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Simply Amazing, Chuck!!!!!!! :o :o If I might inquire, what weight ( in terms of ounces) was the leather that You used, please?

Best to Lynn,
Thanks,
Larry
Darknite69

Post by Darknite69 »

I like it! now it would be nice to see what the whole costume would look like.
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

Chuck and Lynn,

I'm not sure what to write anymore when I see one of your new creations. I expect to see top quality, great research and meticulous attention to detail when it comes to replicating a costume piece but this is something different, something unique. This is your creation based off of the 1966 cowl and it blows everything away, no need for some rubber creation, this is THE bat cowl.

As others had said this should have been the cowl that was used in ALL the movies made after the 1966 series.

Stand tall and puff out your chest Chuck, this is quite an amazing piece.

Andy
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks so much Andy!!
I really appreciate the support and feedback from everyone!! :D

danbar

Post by danbar »

A real work of art! With your imagination and talent, the possibilities are endless!!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I absolutely have to agree with Andy: If the Producers had done the Serial cowls like this, perhaps folks wouldn't bad talk the serials so much. Did You use any stiffeners in the ears BTW? I shudder to think what the over all cost of leather would be for the entire suit pieces. This is TRULY a piece of artwork.
BTW, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh was one of my 1st and continuing favorite stories. Pat did such a great job of portraying Dr. Sin/Scarecrow. You've done a Magnificent job of bring him back to life! It looks, like the cowls, spot on!!!!!!

Cheers
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Among serial fans, and believe it or not, there are a lot of them left- the first Batman serial is highly regarded. I'm glad we didn't see the black leather/rubber Batman until the 80s. The Burton script by Sam Hamm has him wearing a cloth costume with a kevlar undergarment, Warren Skarren's Batman Returns is the first time the script calls for him to be wearing leather.

The actual Keaton suit, which I've manhandled- is built on a bodysuit that was spray painted black and the rubber pieces glued on. The "boots" are actually high top Nike sneakers (Keaton's own) that were painted black and then the shin pieces (also rubber) built up over his calves. In the Blu ray in the opening Batman scene if you freeze it on his shoes you can make out the Nike Swish.

I'd love to see something closer to what Chuck did for the Affleck solo Batman film. I know however, that from looking at the "real thing" up close that Chuck's work is way WAAAAY too finely crafted for a movie prop. He does museum pieces. The movie suit is much closer to something a kid would play in, and I'm sure with the lights and the rigors of shooting it has to be.

Still, ANY cowl where Batman can actually turn his head is a big improvement from what we've seen on the screen.

For my money the ONLY cowls that have succeeded in live action are the Wilson (yup I like the devil horns) and West cowls. Had they had an actor who fit in the Lowery Costume so that the ears weren't on the side of the head like a floppsy mopsy rabbit that one would have been OK too.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And Patrick McGoohan was in that Scarecrow movie? I've never seen it but it's been recommended to me many times.
Did you know the producers asked him to take over the COLUMBO role when Peter Falk was asking for more money? McGoohan, who had guest starred on the show several times, my favorite being the one where he's a secret agent, refused because he was a friend of Peter's.