Diamond Select Batman resin statue

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Diamond Select Batman resin statue

Post by Lou Szabo »

From Dan Greenfield (I agree with his assessment, must have)

"The statue, which is due this winter, will be solicited in the new Diamond Previews catalogue, in shops 6/29. It will start going up for pre-orders online next week, so keep an eye out.
Meantime, here’s the official solicitation blurb:
Batman Classic TV Series Premier Collection Batman Resin Statue
A Diamond Select Toys Release! Holy left cross, Batman! This 12-inch scale resin statue of Adam West as Batman is based on his appearance in the Batman Classic TV Series, and depicts him throwing a massive punch at one of his numerous foes or their underlings. The base for this statue even provides the “POW!!” sound effect that showed up on screen in every fight! Featuring detailed paint applications and limited to only 1,966 pieces, this statue comes packaged with a certificate of authenticity in a full-color box. Sculpted by Clayburn Moore!
Statue SRP: $149.99"
image.jpeg
image.png
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Ben Bentley

Re: Diamond Select Batman resin statue

Post by Ben Bentley »

I've been intrigued as to what this will look like since the early whispers that this is on it's way and I must say i'm underwhelmed.

At the SRP they're pitching it at, the likeness doesn't even rival some of the garage kits we've seen over the last two decades. The cowl in particular is throwing me, the shape of the black painted face-area in relation to the shape and spacing between the eyes and nose just does not read right to me at all from any of the angles they've shot this prototype from. Hopefully it's something that can be refined along with some other detailing.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I agree the likeness really isn't there, and hasn't been for any of Diamond's products. Plus, even though I thought it was kind of weird to spend big bucks on Sideshow's premium format statue and see Batman's "grimace" preserved on your shelf for all time, I have to say that it looks a lot more natural than this face, which is pretty laid back and disinterested for a guy who's supposedly throwing a knockout punch. At best it looks like he's doing his pre-workout stretches at the gym.

Not my cup of tea, but glad it's coming for those who want it.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Would be cool to have an accompanying Villian statue that is in a "just-got-punched-falling-backwards" position. :D

I do agree that his face has an odd expression for that pose.

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

Just to put my 2 cent's worth in as I am by no way an expert on figures or sculpting.
The eyes are what is wrong in my opinion looks like the Mad Hatters mesmerizer.

Charles
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I think that, for the price, the Hot Toys batman is a much better value.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Batman65 wrote:I think that, for the price, the Hot Toys batman is a much better value.
I was just going to suggest ranking the statues in terms of favorites. The Hot Toys is an action figure, but I can definitely support a case for a poseable statue. Heck, let's throw in the NECA as a poseable statue too. I love the Tweeterhead Batman as a non poseable statue.

Wait I had a brain flash, did you mean the 22" sideshow Batman when you said Hot Toys :?:
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

Szabol wrote:
Batman65 wrote:I think that, for the price, the Hot Toys batman is a much better value.
I was just going to suggest ranking the statues in terms of favorites. The Hot Toys is an action figure, but I can definitely support a case for a poseable statue. Heck, let's throw in the NECA as a poseable statue too. I love the Tweeterhead Batman as a non poseable statue.
Or the Moebius plastic kit as an UNASSEMBLED statue. ;) I agree that the DST releases have been a mixed bag. But what someone is willing to pay to add something to their collection is purely subjective. Having said that, at $149.95 for a twelve inch figure, I think this would provide a solid base for someone inclined to personalize or customize something to their tastes. Whether or not Diamond should have delivered a BETTER figure for the pricepoint; well, I think that will vary from individual to individual. But IMHO, you WILL be able to find these for less, either through preorder, or on eBay, but personally I find more here to like than dislike. :)
Tom
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Szabol wrote:

Wait I had a brain flash, did you mean the 22" sideshow Batman when you said Hot Toys :?:
My bad, I meant the 12" Hot Toys. Yea, I know technically its a figure, not a statue, but for the price, I think it is a much better display piece than this one is. Comparing apples to apples, I agree, the Mobeius kit looks better.
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

In the past, Moebius has released assembled kits as prepaints. Based on the pricing of some of those, I think if they DID release the AW Batman or JN Catwoman they would be around $80 or $90. :)
Tom
johndeblasi

Post by johndeblasi »

Speaking of Moebius. Are they ever!!! going to finish the rest of the Batman model kits
COPPRODUCTIONS

Post by COPPRODUCTIONS »

I had a conversation with Frank Winspur from Moebius last weekend, and the Penguin is coming next, scheduled to leave China soon to hit stores in August. Robin and Riddler they are hoping for late September, along with the 1/5 scale resin Batgirl. :)
Tom
danbar

Post by danbar »

A more appropriate expression for the pose, and a more interesting base would do a lot for this statue. But overall, I think it is cool. Not every piece can rival the Hot Toys and Tweeterhead sculpts.
That being said, I bought the Catwoman statue from Diamond Select. I was hoping it would look a lot better in person that it did in the ad, but it was dreadful IMO. I sent it back. So, by comparison, this one looks good.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I saw this was supposed to be in store on Jan 4 (last week)
Did anyone see it or receive theirs?
That did is based on the Diamond weekly ship list
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

johndeblasi wrote:Speaking of Moebius. Are they ever!!! going to finish the rest of the Batman model kits
They're doing it.
Only 3 more to go.
Riddler, Joker and Batgirl.
010.JPG
Catwoman 002.JPG
Penguin 001.JPG
Robin 02.JPG