Baffled by Batmobiles

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Roo

Baffled by Batmobiles

Post by Roo »

I was looking at two Hot Wheels Batmobiles in a toy shop today. I really couldn't see much difference between the actual toys (different hubcaps) but one was selling for £2.99 and the other for £10.99. The artwork on the packaging for the £2.99 Batmobile featured a rather athletic Batman leaping forwards, while artwork on the packaging for the £10.99 Batmobile showed both members of the Dynamic Duo driving in the car...yet there was that huge difference in price. Am I missing something?

In the past I've picked up similar Batmobiles on plainer blue packaging for only £1.50, so is it just the packaging the customer is paying for? (Also is there a good guide to the variations?)
Attachments
Hot Wheels 2.jpg
Hot Wheels 2.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Hot Wheels 1.jpg
Lou Szabo

Re: Baffled by Batmobiles

Post by Lou Szabo »

From what I've read over the past few years, the upper packaging is from their TV and Movie Series cars - more detail, more attention to detail, possibly more metal. The lower one is from their superhero line - featuring different Batmobiles from the various TV and Movie series (think about the 1/50 scale cars, but in 1/64 scale).

There are threads about these on Eric Selzer's 1966Batmobile.com forum page. I think the best copy in 1/64 was the Red Line exclusive through the Hot Wheels Collectors Club.
Batman RLC
Batman RLC
The only thing it's missing is the classic Hot Wheels collector pin.
Batmobile RLC
Batmobile RLC
Batmobile RLC.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
The early versions in the TV & Movie packaging were considered second best, but this iteration is considered off the rails money grab by Mattel.

There's a wonderful 1/87 scale too.

In 1/43, the Elite version appears the best Die Cast. For 1/50 scale, you need to do your own modifications, particularly where the rocket tubes are used, but that's relatively simple. For 1/25 there's no elite version, but for 1/18, a lot of folks like the Elite more than the Super Elite.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
SaintsPreserveUs

Post by SaintsPreserveUs »

Yes, the more expensive one has rubber tyres with treads, fancy paint job and a metal base for collectors. The cheap one is a basic hot wheels car. Also, there are significantly more basic cars produced than the collector variants. Btw... Hot wheels occasionally slip super treasure hunt (very rare) versions in with the basic mainline cars. These cars have special paint, markings, and better tyres. They recently produced a super treasure hunt version of the 66 batmobile that goes for a considerable amount. Check eBay and you'll be surprised at how much.
Begorra!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I personally love the 1:87 version of all of them-- never saw them in stores and paid a premium price for the one I have-- I'd grab another if I ever saw it for a reasonable price.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

AndyFish wrote:I personally love the 1:87 version of all of them-- never saw them in stores and paid a premium price for the one I have-- I'd grab another if I ever saw it for a reasonable price.
I agree, I love my 1:87 Batmobile.