Animated 66 Batman Movie: Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatBrain

Re: Animated 66 Batman Movie: Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders

Post by BatBrain »

My wife also got me The Killing Joke on dvd for my birthday! Looking forward to that as well!
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

I don't see the SteelBook on the Target website. Might check my store if any are left. IF not is Best Buy the only other with an exclusive?
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

LizardKing wrote:I don't see the SteelBook on the Target website. Might check my store if any are left. IF not is Best Buy the only other with an exclusive?
The only one to my knowledge.
popculturetonight

Post by popculturetonight »

Fellow Bat-Fans!

Please enjoy last week's radio interview (Pop Culture Tonight) with voice actor Wally Wingert ("The Riddler") & Emmy Award-winning composers Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis and Kristopher Carter, as they discuss working on "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders". Happy Holidays!

http://bit.ly/2ggx3vT
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Haven't seen the movie yet. My question is, did the composers keep with the original villain cues (themes) or no? My way of looking at it is, each villain's cue is as important as the Batman Theme is to our hero.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm trying really hard to stay positive here and not venture into mean territory, but the music in this was REALLY bad-- and I was actually surprised there was a composer let alone THREE, I assumed the studio used canned music. It's like they never listened to the original series. I understand if they couldn't use the Hefti cues but at least give us something with a 60s jazz feel.

I am nowhere near the music fan John is, but I certainly love and appreciate the cues the villains had, as well as the overall reappearance of several different tunes throughout the show including some that I'm pretty sure were public domain in '66 and should have been used here.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Andy. I shall chime in here when my copy arrives, but it sounds ominous. Our series' music is much more than the Batman theme. To demonstrate how important each villain's cues are, one must merely watch the opening credits of the 66 movie. Without a doubt a serious contrast apparently to this feature. Could we have rights issues again or does it just cost too much to use?
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I believe it was the Riddler's cue (I'll have to go back and check) that was used when Aunt Harriet snuck into Bruce's study.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

All right just watched it again-- the opening theme, the final fight scene and the closing credits are all really solid scores. It's the "quiet" moments I'm talking about that seem canned to me. I think my original statements were a bit overly critical.

I also REALLY wish Desmond Doomsday. I'm going to take a guess that Wally or Ralph could have been go to guys for replacing him. It really doesn't feel like 66 Batman without him.

I still enjoyed it, and if I had little kids I bet they'd be begging to watch it over and over.
High C

Post by High C »

elmrgraham wrote:They also include sequels that have Joan Collins as The Siren and Ann Margret as Poison Ivy.1966 style of course.
What are you talking about? Who are 'they'?

I mean, this is so vague that it makes it sound as if these sequels will happen. I wish there was a sequel with Joan Collins as Siren being planned, but there is not. Why would you write such a misleading post?

I apologize to everyone that this is way after the fact, but I had to get it off my chest. Sorry.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I did not mean to make it sound like a sequel with Joan Collins as The Siren is being planned.If I mislead anyone,I am sorry.Of course,I also wish a sequel with her was being planned.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

High C wrote:
elmrgraham wrote:They also include sequels that have Joan Collins as The Siren and Ann Margret as Poison Ivy.1966 style of course.

I mean, this is so vague that it makes it sound as if these sequels will happen. I wish there was a sequel with Joan Collins as Siren being planned, but there is not. Why would you write such a misleading post?

I apologize to everyone that this is way after the fact, but I had to get it off my chest. Sorry.
He probably forgot to use the word, SHOULD after the word, THEY in the first sentence. Deep breath, think Bob Ross, happy clouds...ahhh...much better now :D
Music. BAT! Music.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I just watched it again. When I originally saw it in the theater I could have sworn that right after the opening credits a large "1966" apeared on the screen ( I guess to remind young kids why there are no cell phones etc). But I have yet to dee it on the DVD. Granted I always think about it after the fact and never rewind it. Still, as many times as I have watched it you think I would notice it again.
High C

Post by High C »

John Mack wrote:
High C wrote:

He probably forgot to use the word, SHOULD after the word, THEY in the first sentence. Deep breath, think Bob Ross, happy clouds...ahhh...much better now :D
Please don't tell me how I should feel, sir. This is between me and another poster.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd like to see more sequels if they get better scripts. I don't care about the actors being authentic to the era, it's a fun idea to have Shatner but really do we want people who were at their prime FIFTY years ago? I'd much rather we get people like Wally who can capture the spirit of the voices as they were.

And for villains, with the exception of Tut and the Bookworm (OK I liked Ma Barker and her boys too) I'd be thrilled if they dropped all the show's original villains since all of them combined don't equal up to even the worst original villains and there are SO many left that SHOULD have been in the show first-- why no Scarecrow, Hugo Strange, Poison Ivy, Mad Monk, Clayface etc and instead we get Louie the Lilac and Lola Lasagna? Ugh, they are part of what killed the show.

BUT if we're going to get more bad scripts with the third string villains I'd rather they just stop.