DC Announces Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77 Comic

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: DC Announces Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77 Comic

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

The Boss wrote:Well, I'm definitely interested in reading it but, I don't see why they needed to incorporate time travel. After all, Adam West and Burt Ward were still playing Batman and Robin on TV (Legends of the Superheroes) while the Wonder Woman series was on.
They were older and not in the 1966 mode--which is what the comics are based on. Officially, Legends of the Superheroes in content or image has no connection with the Greenway/20th Century Fox series. No adaptation should ever acknowledge those terrible joke specials.
Beneath Wayne Manor
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
The Boss wrote:Well, I'm definitely interested in reading it but, I don't see why they needed to incorporate time travel. After all, Adam West and Burt Ward were still playing Batman and Robin on TV (Legends of the Superheroes) while the Wonder Woman series was on.
They were older and not in the 1966 mode--which is what the comics are based on. Officially, Legends of the Superheroes in content or image has no connection with the Greenway/20th Century Fox series. No adaptation should ever acknowledge those terrible joke specials.
Fans of the darker Batman often say the same thing about the TV series. In fact, there are even fans of the TV series that feel the same way about season number 3. It's all a matter of taste. I prefer to enjoy these as extra bonus episodes much the same way as the Gilligan's Island reunion specials. Were they as good as the TV series? Most would say no but, it was still great to see our favorite characters back together and that the specials are worth watching from time to time.
BrianPGH

Post by BrianPGH »

DoomRocket.com has a solicit for issue #2, on sale February 22, and this cover artwork:

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This new Mike Allred cover leaves me luke warm at best, (as a lot of his Batman 66 work did), especially when we were spoiled with the Alex Ross art for the first issue of 66 meets 77.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Apparently the lasso's "magic" includes the ability to elongate as needed.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BrianPGH

Post by BrianPGH »

SprangFan wrote:Apparently the lasso's "magic" includes the ability to elongate as needed.
That is a Golden & Silver Age aspect of the lasso, SprangFan -- the ability to stretch infinitely if Wonder Woman mentally/subconsciously commanded it to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasso_of_Truth
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Huh, did not know that, thanks. My familiarity with Diana is limited to Lynda Carter and the George Perez run on the comics. Marston was a loon and Kanigher's non-war books I generally find unreadable, so the golden and silver ages were a bust for me.

I guess compared to an invisible plane, a self-generating rope is a minor wonder. :-) Speaking of which, was it ever explained what was the benefit of a vehicle that doesn't make the operator invisible as well?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BrianPGH

Post by BrianPGH »

SprangFan wrote:Marston was a loon and Kanigher's non-war books I generally find unreadable, so the golden and silver ages were a bust for me.
The Marston stories were definitely wild and weird, but I think they are endlessly entertaining and fun. Everyone's mileage varies though.
SprangFan wrote:I guess compared to an invisible plane, a self-generating rope is a minor wonder. :-) Speaking of which, was it ever explained what was the benefit of a vehicle that doesn't make the operator invisible as well?
In some stories/runs, Wonder Woman is invisible too while in the invisible jet (but not invisible to the audience, of course). In other runs, she can be seen. I guess once she's close enough for you to see her, it doesn't really matter that you can, haha.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I think my problem is I've read too much about Marston (most recently in Jill Lepore's "Secret History of Wonder Woman"), so what I once would have taken as merely oddball I now consider deranged, or depraved. But the first turn-off as a youngster was HG Peter's art, which is an acquired taste to put it charitably.

Last week I found a great deal on one of the Archives and considered getting it for my 8-year-old daughter. But the OFFICIAL review on Amazon had phrases like "about as visually crude as comics ever got" and "difficult to imagine enjoying at face value," so I gave it a miss.

It would be cool if they did make her invisible in the plane. :-) Just thought balloons coming out of thin air. I remember in an issue of Alpha Flight where John Byrne "drew" about 5 pages of a fight in a blizzard, so it was all empty white panels. I'm still amazed he got paid for that. :-)
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

Oh a new crossover, sounds interesting! (I hope I can find this comic when it comes out)
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

SprangFan wrote:Huh, did not know that, thanks. My familiarity with Diana is limited to Lynda Carter and the George Perez run on the comics.
The opening George Perez storyline with Aries would make a great movie. Len Wein and Greg Potter wrote those early issues as well, I think. Anyway, that was a really interesting take on her, somehow making her story work in a new way.

cheers
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Ben Bentley wrote:This new Mike Allred cover leaves me luke warm at best, (as a lot of his Batman 66 work did), especially when we were spoiled with the Alex Ross art for the first issue of 66 meets 77.
Interesting. I love Mike Allred's art, the cartoony images appeal to me.

While Alex Ross is talented, and the first Batman/Wonder Woman cover is an exception, I usually don't care for his storytelling and composition, much too cluttered panels and images for my taste.

cheers
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

robinboyblunderer wrote:
Ben Bentley wrote:This new Mike Allred cover leaves me luke warm at best, (as a lot of his Batman 66 work did), especially when we were spoiled with the Alex Ross art for the first issue of 66 meets 77.
Interesting. I love Mike Allred's art, the cartoony images appeal to me.

While Alex Ross is talented, and the first Batman/Wonder Woman cover is an exception, I usually don't care for his storytelling and composition, much too cluttered panels and images for my taste.

cheers
I totally take that on board, in many ways that's what's great about the range of artists that worked on the Batman 66 run of comics, there was something for most tastes in terms of artwork.

Having listened to interviews with Mike Allred, I dig him as a person, he comes across as a really nice dude with an authentic love for the Batman TV show. His work just isn't for me, but that's cool because there are people out there like yourself who are really into it.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

BatToys wrote:They should make a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman animated movie.
It looks like that is exactly what they are planning.
http://www.filmfad.com/breaking-wonder- ... es-tucker/
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

SprangFan wrote:It'd be awesome if they worked in a cameo by the George Reeves Superman.
As nice as that would be, I'd rather have a Christopher Reeve cameo. To me, Adam, Burt, Chris and Lynda are the ideal group. For that matter, I'd like to add in Helen Slater.

Mike