1966 Batmobile Bed

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

1966 Batmobile Bed

Post by Lou Szabo »

This Batmobile Bed is Perfect For Any Lil Batcave
by Kevin Melrose
in Comic News
Comment (1)
This Batmobile Bed is Perfect For Any Lil Batcave
It’s not easy being a kid in Gotham City, where an otherwise-normal bus ride to school can be waylaid by an unexpected glacier, courtesy of Mr. Freeze, or a visit to the park can abruptly turn into a psychedelic tea party with Mad Hatter. On the plus side, the odds of becoming Batman’s sidekick, not to mention Bruce Wayne’s ward, increase dramatically.

Unfortunately, the latter likely means something terrible has happened to your parents … possibly at the hands of Mr. Freeze or Mad Hatter.

RELATED: Brush Up on Your Bat-History With CBR’s Batmobile Infographic

That sidekick gig comes with dangers, sure, but it also has its perks, including a brightly colored costume, a loyal butler and, we’re pretty sure, this amazing Batmobile bed.
IMG_5771.PNG
IMG_5771.PNG (582.96 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Offered by Pottery Barn Kids (just off Crime Alley, no doubt), the bed is inspired by Batman and Robin’s classic ride from the 1966 television series, although here the Bat-emblem is silver instead of red. It’s easy to imagine one of these parked in a bedroom at Wayne Manor, or your own Batcave.

Although the Batmobile bed is (obviously?) intended for children, the twin can support 330.5 pounds and the full a whopping 485 p0unds, so do with that information what you will. It ranges in price from $1,700 to $1,900 (the Batman cityscape quilted bedding is sold separately), which isn’t cheap but also doesn’t require Bruce Wayne’s bank account.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Ben Bentley

Re: 1966 Batmobile Bed

Post by Ben Bentley »

That is one can of red paint away from being the greatest bed ever!
dell

Post by dell »

So the question is who will get one first, Sheldon Cooper or Howard Wolowitz?
dell
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Ben Bentley wrote:That is one can of red paint away from being the greatest bed ever!
Completely agree!!
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

In a quest to relive our childhood through succeeding generations, my father and I went halfsies on Pottery Barn's Batmobile bed for my kids' room. We bought the twin-size bed: 1) better proportions 2) save a little money 3) by the time my kid needs a full-size bed, they might not want a Batmobile in the room!

It cost a pretty penny, even after the December 'clearance' pricing, but at least the delivery men hauled and assembled the bed. I will say that it is very well made and very heavy. This thing is a tank.

Of course, I will be modifying it to replace the grey stripes (a perplexing choice by Pottery Barn). I plan to use red striping rather than cerise, because I think it better complements the room. I have already created patterns to paint the wall with the cityscape from the TV show credits, but I'll need my wife to watch both children for a couple days to get it done (maybe it will be complete before they go off to college).

My first attempt uses red adhesive vinyl to cover the gray stripes. It looks magnificent from a distance, but it was difficult to cover some of the tight turns, and I don't believe it will hold up once the children are playing on it. So I will bite the bullet, cover everything in the room, and stencil/paint/laquer it instead. If I had the tools and expertise, I suspect it could be well executed in the manner of a vehicle wrap, preserving the original paint beneath. (Though, who would prefer this bed without proper striping?)

I will use plotter-cut white acrylic to create hubs that fit into the bat-shape in the wheels. I will also use a similar approach to put a grill pattern into the nose, possibly with reflective material to replicate the headlamps beneath.

Here are some in-progress photos (including my little helpers).

2016-12-Batmobile_Bed-Mods-LoRes-1.jpg
2016-12-Batmobile_Bed-Mods-LoRes-2.jpg
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Looks great!!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Meule

Post by Meule »

Oh yeah, that looks awesome
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

:) You have the luckiest children!
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I want one... FOR ME!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Absolutely awesome! Love that you felt the compulsion like most of us would to do the red/orange pin striping!