New Batman Book - First Look

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
User avatar
BatMite
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by BatMite » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:11 pm

It's extremely well done, but I'm still waiting for a definitive book...one that includes the complete picture of the Bat Craze, covering the Lava Soap commercial, the Bat-themed nightclubs, Adam's appearances as Batman on Hollywood Palace and Milton Berle Show, the teen rock groups that recorded in Bat outfits, the countless Batman records, the cheap Batman film knockoffs, the daily newspaper strips, the memorabila, etc...all in one comprehensive volume. I don't see one ever really compiled, unfortunately.

User avatar
BATWINGED HORNET
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by BATWINGED HORNET » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:29 pm

AndyFish wrote:Sat down and read it last night, there's a lot of information in here. If you have read the other bat books and magazines there is still a bit more in depth of the development of the show. John there is a chapter on the music but that equates to a page and a half and is mostly on the theme.

Nice spotlight on the stuntmen, the bat age both the original pilot set and the one that was built for the series, early Batmobile sketches, in depth on the casting of various villains and main characters and quit a few behind the scenes photos.

It's a great book., but I still hope someone does one using the huge collection of stills Adam has.
So is this as close to the "end all" book on the series, or like Star Trek, it still takes a few books to paint the full picture?
Beneath Wayne Manor

User avatar
AndyFish
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by AndyFish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:04 pm

I would say no- it's a great collectible to have, and it's a nicer presentation that Joel's original Bat-Book which so many of us wore the cover off when it came out so many years ago, but in terms of depth-- it's still pretty lightweight.

I think you'd have to combine this with the Cinefantastique Magazine, the Adam West Remembers Magazine and the Chip Kidd Batman Collected book to really get something end all. I'd also like to see things like reviews at the time, the articles that ran in various magazines and newspapers, a bit more on the personal appearances and the feature-- I could have done without the episode guide or the list of Robin Holyisms that have been done before.

It's well worth the $25 or so it's going for on Amazon-- don't take my comments otherwise, and I'm really happy with it.

User avatar
Golddragon71
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Golddragon71 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 pm

They finally Had a copy in my local B&N today so I had a chance to examine it up close. (Couldn't flip through cause it was shrink wrapped) It's Much Bigger than I thought it would be (I originally envisioned it being comparable height/width wise to the Constructing the Green Lantern Movie Book they released when the Ryan reynolds film came out five years ago. I am still looking forward to getting it Christmas Morning although i'm worried it won't fit on my bookshelf (I may have to re-adjust all the shelves to give it it's proper clearance)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"

User avatar
gothosmansion
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:36 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by gothosmansion » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:03 pm

It was much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I preordered mine over a year ago, and I think the price will be going up. That $20 had to be a mistake. That is over half off cover price, but it is what I paid.

Onto the book....lots of great photos. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it is worth getting just for the pictures. The comment I made was how awesome would I have thought this book was when I was five and was first getting into Batman. Really, it brought back the childhood enjoyment for the show. Since I was born in the 70s and missed out on the original Bat-mania, the only 66 Batman stuff I was able to get was the Bat-Book and the View Master reels, so I'm really grateful to get the 66 stuff we're getting now.

I think any fan of the series will enjoy the book.

User avatar
John Mack
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by John Mack » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I fully support this new book, but being more than a casual fan, I was hoping for more on the music other than the theme. Imagine our series without the efforts of Riddle, May, and Barker (2 episodes.)

A fun book to flip through, but at this stage of my fandom, I am looking for meaty, in depth information. It's one thing to say, "Oh cool, I've never seen that picture before." It's another to say, "Wow! I didn't KNOW THAT."
Music. BAT! Music.

Jthree
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Jthree » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 pm

BatMite wrote:It's extremely well done, but I'm still waiting for a definitive book...one that includes the complete picture of the Bat Craze, covering the Lava Soap commercial, the Bat-themed nightclubs, Adam's appearances as Batman on Hollywood Palace and Milton Berle Show, the teen rock groups that recorded in Bat outfits, the countless Batman records, the cheap Batman film knockoffs, the daily newspaper strips, the memorabila, etc...all in one comprehensive volume. I don't see one ever really compiled, unfortunately.
What's this about a Lava Soap Commercial? More information please?

--JThree

User avatar
BatMite
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by BatMite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Jthree wrote:
BatMite wrote:It's extremely well done, but I'm still waiting for a definitive book...one that includes the complete picture of the Bat Craze, covering the Lava Soap commercial, the Bat-themed nightclubs, Adam's appearances as Batman on Hollywood Palace and Milton Berle Show, the teen rock groups that recorded in Bat outfits, the countless Batman records, the cheap Batman film knockoffs, the daily newspaper strips, the memorabila, etc...all in one comprehensive volume. I don't see one ever really compiled, unfortunately.
What's this about a Lava Soap Commercial? More information please?

--JThree
It was filmed in 1966 on the set of Commisioner Gordon's office and featured Batman, Robin, Commsioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara. There are story boards for it in the Dozier collection. I'm not sure why not one of the Bat books considered it worthy to mention, as it's part of Bat history. I'd really like to learn more about it, the safety footage and other filmed projects that featured the cast in character during the run of the show.

User avatar
Mike Mulitsch
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Mike Mulitsch » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:50 am

I liked the book a lot, fun flipping through, I agree with everything said before me, I really like the behind the scenes stuff, especially the look of the people,the old cars, trucks, Equiptment etc!!!
One thing that kind of stood out and maybe Andy, Wally, Scott, or Ben could enlighten on
I'm not 100% sure but there was not even a mention of Aunt Harriet, Madge Blake or even a picture, so if you don't have the rights to someone or something you can't even mention it in a historical way, I mean Aunt Harriet was the least important to me,just curious .

I also agree there has to be more that this, out there, I think a lot of us have some things that are rare or different, we should do a presentation

User avatar
Meule
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Meule » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 am

My two books finally arrived too, but since it's so close to Christmas I decided to gift wrap 'em and put 'em under the Christmas tree as a present to myself :D
The suspense is killing me, but I've been waiting since April 25th 2015, so two more weeks ain't gonna kill me ;)
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

User avatar
Ben Bentley
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Ben Bentley » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:35 am

Meule wrote:My two books finally arrived too, but since it's so close to Christmas I decided to gift wrap 'em and put 'em under the Christmas tree as a present to myself :D
The suspense is killing me, but I've been waiting since April 25th 2015, so two more weeks ain't gonna kill me ;)
I admire your self restraint buddy, the fanboy in me would not be able to do that! ha

User avatar
Meule
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Meule » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 am

I'm not gonna lie, it isn't easy
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Fatbat
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Fatbat » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:32 am

Feb 1994...is this the issue of Cinefantastique mag(dbl issue) that everyone is raving about with many images/pics? I attempted to put a photo on here with my new pc and cell.....both failed as image was too large or when I clicked on Attachments , options, etc.....it wouldn't engage!

User avatar
Ben Bentley
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Ben Bentley » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 am

Fatbat wrote:Feb 1994...is this the issue of Cinefantastique mag(dbl issue) that everyone is raving about with many images/pics? I attempted to put a photo on here with my new pc and cell.....both failed as image was too large or when I clicked on Attachments , options, etc.....it wouldn't engage!
Yep, that's the one.

Image

User avatar
Meule
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 am

Re: New Batman Book - First Look

Post by Meule » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:46 pm

What can I say... Every single day since April 25th 2015 that I've been waiting for this was well worth it... It has new pics and pics that I had seen befote that were blurry and low res are now clear as daylight, loved it.

Makes me long for a sequel, with all the gadgets from both our beloved crime fighters as their villains... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's such a book. And there were so many gadgets, weapons and whatnot you could probably fill 3 books...
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Post Reply