Batman '66 Book

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Gernot

Batman '66 Book

Post by Gernot »

I know the series is already through except for the occasional specials (Come on, George (Superman) Reeves team-up!), but I just got the foist volume in TPB for Christmas. I now have the REST of the volumes to happily get! ;)

I was just curious, though, about something... As entertaining as the series was, it was MISSING something, IMHO. I was disappointed they didn't have any "To Be Continued..." blurbs for the next issue with a death-trap for our heroes. Or even just have a full-length story cut in half with the death-trap in the middle of said story?

Was this a point of contention for anyone else here? Was there anything else omitted from the TV show that they COULD have done in the comicbook that they DIDN'T, in your opinion?

Thanks, old chums! ;)
John Mack

Re: Batman '66 Book

Post by John Mack »

Hi G!
Well, you are not alone on this. Of course the first part of the stories should have ended with cliffhangers. Every comic book I've ever picked up was always ending on some dreaded note. When I was little, I'd buy a Batman comic book because I liked the cover, and when I got home I found out it was part 3 or 4 or 12 of some series, and I was completely lost. So, maybe the designers wanted to escape that? Pun intended lol. But certainly, if there was ever a comic book series that automatically lends itself to carrying over some storyline, it's 66 Batman.
IMHO there is a lot I would have done differently in the stories, artwork, and overall tone of the series. I know it's easy to be an armchair quarterback, and I have never weighed in on any of the threads about it, mostly because what is done is done and people really liked the series. I also don't want to dis Ralph or anyone else connected to the project, because afterall, things did go well.
Music. BAT! Music.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I think the "to be continued" may be difficult with three releases: digital, paper, book format (collected trade). I believe the digital copies are about 1/2 a paper comic book - or it may be 1/3 - did anyone get digital copies that may confirm this thought?

Another thought is DC is typically 1 story 1 issue, and in the early days, multiple stories per issue, while Marvel is more apt to extend stories across multiple issues, so more likely to have the cliffhanger.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Thank you for your responses, Gentlemen. :)

That's also why I thought if they'd done a full-length story, and used a death-trap in the middle of the story. That way, it could still have been a done-in-one tale, and would have had a bit more of the feel of the TV show.

When I was a kid, I was disappointed when the big death-trap happened in the final three or four pages of a comic, and after a few punches, the story ended. I was also lucky enough to have been reading comicbooks in the days BEFORE they had cliffhangers every. single. issue. ;)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

When I was a kid, it was Marvel who ended every comic on a cliffhanger, which is why I was a DC guy. In my town I couldn't count on efficient distribution so there was no point getting into a story I might never finish.

I don't think a "cliffhanger" would work in a self-contained issue ( "Is this the end for our heroes? Find out on the next page!" ) .

That said, a strength of the comic was that it went places the show couldn't, and it might've been cool to see some continuity across the series, with ongoing subplots, something the show couldnt manage. In other words, playing up the comic format rather than trying harder to mimic a tv show (which will never be beaten at its own game).

As it is, the comic had an "anthology" feel that may have both helped and hurt it. On the one hand, it's cool to see a range of artists taking a stab and lending some variety. On the other hand, if readers know each issue is just a collection of one-off short stories, they're likely to just flip through an issue and say, "Nah, not this one. I'll try again next month."

Maybe that's why I'm generally enjoying the various "Batman meets...." books better.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The comic as it was initially offered was a digital first edition-- meaning for 99c you got about half a comic book-- and that (if I remember correctly) would end on a cliffhanger.

When they released them as print editions the cliffhanger aspect was eliminated. I believe the rotating artists made production easier because you could have teams working on various stories rather than one team churning out a monthly book.

SprangFan is right too, John you must have read Marvel-- because DC always kept them done as one. My first ever Marvel Comic was circa 1973 and featured Spider-Man coming up against the Green Goblin on the last page and TO BE CONTINUED! I was floored. Like Sprang distribution was an issue since I got my comics at a local pharmacy and they often didn't get the same titles every month.

I ended up subscribing to several titles. Batman DID have a continuing storyline in Detective Comics in 1977 with Steve Englehart who was primarily a Marvel writer, but it was done in a such a way that you could pretty much read one part without the others.

As for the '66 book itself-- I have all five hardcovers plus the hardcover collections of the various MEETS and I've yet to sit and read any of them-- I plan on hunkering down and giving them a go through some night soon. I'm happier with the MEETS concept than a monthly-- as gimmicky as it is, I feel like the storytelling is better.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yeah Andy, it was the Detective series in the late 70's I am talking about. I remember that the stories did stand alone to some extent, but they made it clear to the reader it was part of a continuing storyline. Ra"s Aghul comes to mind? There was a Joker story too? I dunno. Too many years ago and only one place in my tiny burg to purchase them, 7-11. No place to get back issues within bicycle riding distance.
Music. BAT! Music.
MollyRobin

Post by MollyRobin »

I loved the Batman 66 book although - having said that - I was a bit disappointed by the 5th (final?) volume which gave to much over to three super strong villains: Killer Croc, Solomon Grundy and Bane. Bane was good but overall I felt that these particular villains didn't quite hit the '66 mark. I would have preferred the introductions of say, Condiment King or the Zodiac Master, or perhaps a visit to Planet X...
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

How many issues were there of the Batman '66 comics?
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

I wish the series would have continued a bit longer with more diverse writers taking their stab on the Adam West Batman. Can't read the darker version anymore, it's too convoluted, too intense, and too serious. I need a bit of levity with my crime fighters.

---jthree
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

The Boss wrote:How many issues were there of the Batman '66 comics?
There were 31# issues to the original run, including the non-numbered "Lost Episode" (Two Face) issue.

There were also then the 6 issues mini series runs of Batman 66 meets the Green Hornet/The Man From Uncle/Steed and Peel/Wonder Woman 77. The total would be 55 by my count if you include the run of spin-offs.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Ben Bentley wrote:
There were 31# issues to the original run, including the non-numbered "Lost Episode" (Two Face) issue.

There were also then the 6 issues mini series runs of Batman 66 meets the Green Hornet/The Man From Uncle/Steed and Peel/Wonder Woman 77. The total would be 55 by my count if you include the run of spin-offs.
That many huh? In that case while we patiently wait for the next animated film (and hopefully the one after that etc.) DC should convert these comics into motion comics. It would be a lot faster and cheaper than full animated movies so they should be able to get them all out in a short amount of time. They of course will again feature the voices of Adam, Burt, Julie (whenever her character is utilized) and everyone from ROTCC. If the go into the spinoffs hopefully they will use Lynda Carter as well.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Should've had Pleasence or Telly as Hugo Strange :P
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_'66
The Boss wrote:DC should convert these comics into motion comics.
Have you seen any of the digital comics? I would strongly recommend them. They do have interactive panels. Characters swing through the action, word balloons and sound effects pop in, etc.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

Therin of Andor wrote:
The Boss wrote:DC should convert these comics into motion comics.
Have you seen any of the digital comics? I would strongly recommend them. They do have interactive panels. Characters swing through the action, word balloons and sound effects pop in, etc.
No I have not. You do make them sound good. Do Adam, Burt and Julie do the voices?