Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Re: Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

Post by AndyFish »

Here's a side by side comparison between the prototype and what Crayfish posted.

Colors are different, the sculpt for the actual figure is slightly softer and lacks the wrinkles of the costume but most notable difference is Batman's face.

This is often the case with prototype to actual product variation-- a prototype is hand painted by an artist, a mass produced figure if hand painted is done so on a conveyor belt.

I suspect the image I've found here of the prototype is a ZBrush illustration anyway, but it's pretty close to what was displayed at Toy Fair.

I like the more muted colors of the prototype and the slightly larger bat symbol, but looking at Cray's pics I still like this Batman figure better than the Mattel and Figures Toy versions. The size also makes it a huge win for me and this was a wish list item back when we were all in the just suppozin' stage-- so I'm happy these are almost here.
Attachments
PROTOTYPE.jpg
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

The head is certainly the biggest difference and lets it down the most.

That said, I still like what I see and the scale is a bonus. I like the original Star Wars figures vibe and it takes me back to the kind of figures I'd have wanted (expected?) as a child. One of my favourites to this day is Luke Skywalker in X-Wing outfit, and that in no way looked like Mark Hamill, so this not looking like Adam West isn't too big of a deal.

I'll be waiting until they're easier (cheaper) to get in the UK before starting my collection though.
rajung

Post by rajung »

To me what throws it off it seems the eyebrows are reversed?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

That's EXACTLY the charm of these for me.

I've already got my Neca and Hot Toys for pretty close to lifelike appearances. I really disliked the Mattel line, they were really flimsy, the joints were weak and the 6" size action figure has little charm for me. I grew up with Megos and I loved the Comic Action and Pocket Heroes they did even more than the dolls because you didn't have to worry about losing gloves and belts while you were playing with them.

Even as a kid I recognized that the 8" Megos were dolls no matter how you looked at it. Right after that Star Wars came out and so did Kenner's line (I had the cardboard promo which they marketed as an item -- you got no figures only a display stand where you could put them and a promise for the first four mailed to you-- I think it was Luke, Leia, R2D2 and Chewie) -- I remember desperately waiting for the DARTH VADER figure from Kenner to battle my Luke and when it came out he was scrawny with no cape but a robe, and the robe was merely a small piece of vinyl with two holes cut out for arms. I got it-- LOVED it. There was a level of imagination you had to use with them.

These are right in that spirit, complete with flaws.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Very true Andy. To all. This may be backwards thinking to today's thoughts and perceptions, but in the 60's and 70's my father, who was born in 1920, hated me playing with GI Joes, Megos and the like. He didn't ban me from owning or playing with them, but he himself never purchased them for me and when it came time for him to get home from work, my mother would give the warning: "Your father is going to be home soon, so you better put those things away." I knew why, and away they went.

My wife was raised in a similar home but much more so. She was banned completely from owning or playing with GI Joes. She was only allowed to have Barbies. She aquired some Hot Wheels cars one time in school and brought them home. They mysteriously disappeared one day after a garage sale. There was also a first edition Corgi Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in with them. It too, was gone. My wife said she loved making traffic jams with the Hot Wheels cars and then have Chitty fly over them. Glad things have changed since then.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Absolutely.
There was no issue with me "playing with dolls" when I was a kid, although I know my dad must have given me a look at some time. My issue with it was the play value-- you toss a Mego off your porch into the yard and he loses his gloves, a boot and his belt, and the suit tears. Meanwhile those molded figures could hold up to being buried, tied to parachutes or even taken into the tub and they were none the worse for wear. Maybe a bit of paint loss here and there, but no big shakes.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

IMG_1310.JPG
All right have them in hand-- and I have to say I like them very much. I don't think the ball joint neck was needed but it's there if you decide to have them batclimb. Batman is slightly taller than Funko's SUPERMAN and you can see the old Funko ROCKETEER is still bigger than the rest.
IMG_1312.JPG
The car is really nice-- for those of you who are looking at spot on details and sizing you'll be disappointed, but its very reminiscent of the Mego Exploding Bridge Batmobile from the 70s, although a bit bigger and heftier. I like it very much-- nice gloss to it and Batman and Robin fit nicely. Capes are an issue-- I had to wrap the capes around their legs in the photo above to get them to sit. Batman can grasp the steering wheel and Robin the windshield. Very cool.
IMG_1311.JPG
'

You could also opt to go "comic book style" and have the capes outside the car. I'm not sure that's a great idea because the neckline for Batman's cape is VERY thin and will not hold up to repeated bending. I love the look of the soft plastic capes when they're standing--SO much better than the cloth capes of Mattel.

So how do these stack up to those?

They are sturdier stuff. I think you could actually play with these and they wouldn't keep falling over. Batman's head is indeed a little bit too big and the way his eyes are painted gives him a slightly goofy look, but overall I like the figure even with the strange eye markings.

Robin is very nice-- a lot of detail for a $10 figure. When you consider the Comic Action Robin was $2.99 back in 1979 this is pretty comparable and the level of detail is head and shoulders above that one.

So are these a win? I really like them a lot. They are exactly what I'd hoped for back when the license was bouncing around and I can't wait to get the villains and who knows, maybe they make a vinyl Batcave similar to the old ideal one (which I just won on eBay).

It's a great line and if they'd had these when I was 9 I would have been beside myself. As it is-- I'm very happy with them. I think my only reserved hesitation is how much I liked the look of the prototype of Batman himself vs the actual. But still, a solid 4.5 stars here.
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

Great pictures, Andy. Thanks for sharing. In your opinion, would these figures fit in a 1:18 scale hot wheels batmobile? I was thinking about getting the figures separately and place them in the hot wheels version instead. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

Thanks for the pictures.

I'm a sucker for retro and retro-style toys, and Batman '66 (obviously) so I really like what I see. Like I said before, they could be a bit more accurate (especially Batman's head) but I'm certainly looking forward to getting these and adding them to my collection.

While I love high-end collectables too, and they look great in a glass cabinet, there's nothing quite like handling a toy. Every once in a while I still like to roll my vintage Corgi Batmobile (owned since I was about 8) along the floor. Carefully though.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

My Batmobile arrived Down Under!

Stuart and Sheldon check out the Funko Batmobile by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The playset I'd like to see-- it might be a little small for the Batmobile, but it'd be great if they re-released the Ideal Batcave set. I think this is where my figures will be displayed.
Attachments
IMG_1324.JPG
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am The playset I'd like to see-- it might be a little small for the Batmobile, but it'd be great if they re-released the Ideal Batcave set. I think this is where my figures will be displayed.
I'd love something along the lines of what FTC are doing Batcave-wise for this 4" series.
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

COPPRODUCTIONS wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:16 pm Personally I think Mattel should get MORE than a little credit in getting Warner/DC/Fox/Greenlawn and of course George Barris who LITERALLY got the ball rolling by getting the Batmobile license deal sealed for Hot Wheels. As a result, virtually EVERY type of collector with as much or as little to spend on some REALLY cool stuff gets more or less WHAT THEY WANT!!! As "Star Wars" turns 40 next week, all the discussion of "cloth versus vinyl capes" becomes even MORE of a deja vu all over again (paraphrasing Yogi Berra) moment, LOL!!! Me, I plan on at LEAST an Adam standard fig that I will putty the joints and take down to gamers painting night at the comic store and JUST GO NUTS!!!
Tom
Mattel got the ball rolling but fell short on the villians big-time. Figures were $20 and warmed the pegs at TRU.
LizardKing

Re: Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!! (PODCAST ALERT!)

Post by LizardKing »

John S. Drew wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:33 pm Want to find out more about the Funko line? Dan Greenfield of 13th Dimension and I got to talk with Reis O'Brien, Funko’s senior product designer, about wave one, the potential for wave two, and the possibility of another hero who appeared on Batman getting in on the action (as he was wont to do quite often in his own show).

Take a listen by visiting the homepage - http://drewshi2000.wixsite.com/batcavep ... coputer-32

or with the direct link to the audio - http://traffic.libsyn.com/thebatcavepod ... le_032.mp3

You can also find the show on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Google Play and where most podcasts are distributed.

Great interview. Thanks for posting that link.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

So are you seeing these in brick and mortar stores (comic shops, TRU, etc) or e-stores. I am curious about the chase batman. FTC is so close to making that one.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!