Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
jimpagett

Re: Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

Post by jimpagett »

Dudes! Too much gloom n' doom. Steady now. Hope for the best. Greatest pleasure of having something is wanting it ..on your coffee table... or something like that.

Meanwhile I just preordered Super7 POA figs! La!
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:45 am I agree it makes no sense to have no further news other than an Exec saying "stop worrying Wave 2 is coming". With that said, if there's a Wave 2 I'm in, if there isn't I save a $100 or so. Win either way.
Well said. I was hoping 13th Dimension would have a follow up on that but they have not. It just goes against everything. No display at the Toy Show or even an article about what they have planned. Maybe something in July at SDCC.
P.N. Gwynn

Post by P.N. Gwynn »

LizardKing wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 am
AndyFish wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:45 am I agree it makes no sense to have no further news other than an Exec saying "stop worrying Wave 2 is coming". With that said, if there's a Wave 2 I'm in, if there isn't I save a $100 or so. Win either way.
Well said. I was hoping 13th Dimension would have a follow up on that but they have not. It just goes against everything. No display at the Toy Show or even an article about what they have planned. Maybe something in July at SDCC.
Looking at Reis O'Brien's interaction on Twitter (@reisobrien) Saturday night into Sunday morning (depending on where you live)... he seemed to dance around and claimed what he stated AT THE TIME was true. So my spirits are crushed and I think we aren't getting anything...
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

:( This really ticks me off! Funko shouldn't be promising us more if they can't deliver, and I know it was maybe because of sales, but as you can see, there Is a lot of demand for wave 2! I don't think I will ever trust funko again!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

I just read that twitter exchange an Reis comes off as a jerk again. Fan called him out and he had every chance to say again figures are coming but instead ducked the question and said "at the time what he said was accurate". Fan replied that the figures would be in production if true and Reis dodged it. Eff him..
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Thanks for sharing that.
That sucks. So Reis is just yes'n us and it's really all up in the air. "At the time what he said was accurate"? implying that the situation has changed in the interim. Disappointed hardly covers it, but not really surprised. The series finally gets decent licensing and there isn't enough of a market anymore.

I wonder how far into development they actually got? Did Fucno ever show test art on other figures? I'm hoping that they can save some kind of resolution if they are already sculpted. like a convention only box set of villains or Bats, Robin, Batgirl and new villains. I don't mind having to get the good guys again as long as I get Joker or Penguin in the deal.

Sometimes these licenses can be very specific. I wonder if the "Action figure" license is separate from their Pops and if so when it expires?
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I'm sorry to say but I think this marks the end of the '66 batman merchandise renascence we have been having since 2013... it was good while it lasted! :cry:
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:03 pm I'm sorry to say but I think this marks the end of the '66 batman merchandise renascence we have been having since 2013... it was good while it lasted! :cry:
I hope you're wrong but if that's the case then the renascence lasted about the same length of time as the tv series. I'm basing that on the first entries into the merchandise being the Mattel 6" figures that came out in 2015. Am I right about that?
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

The Mattel figures started to emerge in late 2013, not 2015. And I do also hope that more merchandise comes, but if you think about it, more and more companies are realizing that the '66 batman sales boom has ended, and there isn't a large enough demand for the current products! I hate to say it, but I think in about 2 years all that will be out are the occasional statues, DVD releases and maybe figures toy company figures!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm The Mattel figures started to emerge in late 2013, not 2015.
Thanks for clearing that up.
P.N. Gwynn

Post by P.N. Gwynn »

I know you guys don't really know me, as I hardly post, but as I brought up the Reis thing... full disclosure, it was me who tried to rattle the cage. I could feel things slipping away, and based on his flippant response to us to calm down in February (which never sat well with me), I was willing to go out on a limb to try to get something out of him. Clearly, it showed a lot. I posted this on 13th dimension the day before Reis's calm down comment, and it was removed since he provided such amazing false hope. I held on to it, and I'd like to post it here:

I know that there are real problems in this world, so I have to choose wisely in the level of cataclysm I state that this is. That being said, these were the figures I wanted more than any others since I saw Batman ‘66 in the late 80s. I was ecstatic when I saw these on the way last year (including the first Eli Wallach merchandise), as I never thought it was possible. I have become increasingly more apoplectic as the zero hour has approached, without a leak to be had.

I have everything Mattel released, everything Figures Toy Company released (besides the henchman packs), all 14 Diamond busts, every Diamond bank, every Diamond statue, 4 of the 7 Tweeterhead pieces, etc etc etc... yet these were going to become the pride and joy of my ‘66 collection. The ability to mass produce, and come up with chase figures that real fans would love seemed like a recipe for amazing success.

I have all 8 figures loose and carded, as well as all 5 Batmobiles loose and boxed. I was more than all in. I was checking daily. And, now, so it seems, Funko was playing us all like the fiddles we are. We have all these Batmobiles. We have all these Batman figures. Let’s pass them off on these rubes, while promising them the world, and not actually meaning any of it.

I’m really hoping they didn’t use the Funko Shop sales as any indicator, as honestly, who’s buying oddly colored Batmobiles besides mega fans. The general set sold very well wherever I was, and would only see a random Batgirl or Tut or Bookworm here or there. Joker, Riddler, and Penguin would have flown off shelves.

Unless they create some sort of ‘66 collector club, where we can pay a little more, but they will let us get the figures we crave, I will never buy another Funko product. Not one. Ever. I will take every opportunity I can in the collector community to disparage Funko WITH FACTS. This is a truly disgusting turn of events for people that have literally waited a generation or two for this. So, save your 6th Batmobile with the final colorway from your display window (odd move to go all in on something as your store display, then abandon it). Save trying to milk fools for another buck in your profit margin. Funko let a whole devoted community down.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Ouch that was painful. yeah I hear you. Not the end of the world just the end of "our" world right? :) I'm probably in the minority here but I don't care for the general Fucno stuff anyway - The Pops are too stylized for me and look cheap but I admire the incredible range of characters they tackle.

I also really appreciated the enhanced articulation they put into the Bat set. Big improvement over their really stiff previous action figures. Place them on a stand and you can get some nice action poses out of them. I would have worked out a few things in their production - I repainted the masks and put better hands on my Batmen, but I saw these as glaring errors that were easy fixes and their correction made them look so much better (In my opinion). The loose capes that never sat right on Batman and hindered both figures from sitting well in the Batmobile were also a distraction - I ended up gluing mine down at the neck. Still can't sit in the car but it's much easier to pose on it's feet. . (Didn't they say that the figures with the car were going to have cloth capes? - yet another unfulfilled statement from Fucno..)

I'd still like to get additional figures released.

I agree with boycotting and disparaging Funko and Reis in particular. ( yelp any one?) Although it might be a bit petty, I think business practices like they use should be vilified in this communication age. Fans are not so distant from the producers these days. Hell, I spent a good bit of cash with you guys and want to spend more.. How dare you lead us on.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's just business. If sales aren't there the line stops.
Be glad they released what they did because in my opinion they were the pinnacle of the wave of Batman 66 Merchandise. I never warmed up to the 6" Mattel figures although they came the closest to getting Batman right-- Figures Toy Company and Funko had Batman as the weakest figures in their lines.

Boycotts? Personal slights? Guys-- get a grip-- this is a TOY line.

Are we at a generational point where those of you upset don't remember when all we had were poor quality bootleg VHS tapes and the occasional fan made kit?

This has been a great run, and I doubt we won't see more and even better Batman '66 stuff down the line from a variety of companies. The idea that the shows fanbase is dying off is lame-- that's like saying Batman's fan base is dying off because he was created in 1939!

Take joy in what we got. Get outside, set your Batman toys up against a horde of zombie army men and relive your youth! But let go this anger and hostility.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Well said, Andy.
I agree with everything said here. Disappointed sure, heartbroken? Maybe. those Funko guys are fun and cool.
While they have their faults, they do tap into that " make me feel young again" dopamine flow when I hold or pose (play with) them.
Played us for suckers? I don't know anything about Reis, but isn't he just doing his job? Selling toys?
Is it possible that the line is down the road? Maybe it is still in the planning/ talking stages. They make a few different licensed figures, yes? That display in the flagship store is a big commitment to the line. They cannot really display anything else in that area of the store.
So, not this year? Maybe next year, or not at all. I am pretty happy with and appreciate what we did get.
But angry? No way.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

batrunner1966 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am That display in the flagship store is a big commitment to the line. They cannot really display anything else in that area of the store.
I thought about that last night while watching the Comic Book Men episode where they visit the Funko flagship store.