Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Crayfish

Re: Funko!!! 4 inch figs!!!!

Post by Crayfish »

My biggest problem is the only thing that Reis O'Brien stated was....and I quote:

"Everyone relax. Wave 2 hits this summer."

I guess it rubbed me just a tiny bit as Andyfish stated on his reply.

We are practically begging and clamoring for more stuff and have thrown lots of money to support this line....you would think you would not want us to "relax" but to be more excited for what's to come. But the lack of information up until now.....and now when they know we still are asking...and we get nothing.

The truth of the matter is this.....if the figures are coming out this summer...then they are already in the production phase which means there is no going back now....why wouldn't they show something, give some info, or what.

I am starting to get a Shocker Toys and Geoff Beckett vibe here.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Who knew a crayfish would be the voice of reason?
Having worked in product development for this sort of thing myself, most of the people producing these things are working a job, not real fans. No mater how they smile and promote they can have a little bit of underlying contempt for their rabid customers. No malice really, just a "why are you asking for extra cheese when I have other things to do" thing.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Can some one pm me what
"I am starting to get a Shocker Toys and Geoff Beckett vibe here." means?
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

I want to get excited but I just can't wrap my mind around the fact they showed nothing, promoted nothing, and have gone silent on this product line since series 1 debuted. Not even 1 action figure to show? 1+1 is not adding up to 2 in this case. All we got was some guy saying it will be out in the summer.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

She's just not that into you dude
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Two companies I find I'm getting tired of are Funko and those Dorbz. Maybe throw Diamond in there too. :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm more excited by the Super7 Universal Monsters and Planet of the Apes figures-- even though they have less articulation I like the Super7 figures better-- a kid could actually play with these and they wouldn't fall apart. I'll get Wave 2 if it comes out and I'll live another day if it doesn't- but Funko's dismissal of fans of the line is really indicative of a level of disdain towards potential customers.

I didn't agree with Dan's original assessment, since edited out, that the line failed because these were from a 50 year old property. How many of us that bought these were even around for the original run of the show? It was popular in 1966 and it was very popular in syndication when I caught it in 1975 and again in 1989 making new generations of fans.

I do think he was right-- you can't put three minor villains in Wave 1 and expect Joe Public to buy them up. They also should have produced a Batman figure that looked more like the prototype and less doughy than what actually came out (he looks soft). Same deal with the fat suit on the Hot Toys body-- there's no reason for it. Adam was in shape when he played Batman. Watch Season One and show me the fat-- it's not there. Yet each interpretation now seems to give him a paunch. Lew Wilson gets an equally bad rap in his go as the original Batman in 1943-- he was fit too.
FUNKO BATMAN.jpg
The prototype has a stockier build, larger chest emblem (which is actually not correct but it looks better) and better cowl markings. The less heroic looking figure produced may have turned off some casual collectors.

Wave 1 should have been Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Joker, Bookworm and Mr Freeze. Eli and Batman screentest chase figures.
Wave 2 could have then been Batgirl, Riddler, Penguin, King Tut, Mad Hatter and Pink Cowl Batman. Chase figure(s) John Astin Riddler and Surf's Up Batman.

This is all endless nonsense and speculation, but something doesn't add up-- last year full size Batman figures, they build a Life Size Batcave, and this year it's all Pop Figures?? And shock and dismissal when we ask about them?
seanrt

Post by seanrt »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm I'm more excited by the Super7 Universal Monsters and Planet of the Apes figures-- even though they have less articulation I like the Super7 figures better-- a kid could actually play with these and they wouldn't fall apart. I'll get Wave 2 if it comes out and I'll live another day if it doesn't- but Funko's dismissal of fans of the line is really indicative of a level of disdain towards potential customers.

I didn't agree with Dan's original assessment, since edited out, that the line failed because these were from a 50 year old property. How many of us that bought these were even around for the original run of the show? It was popular in 1966 and it was very popular in syndication when I caught it in 1975 and again in 1989 making new generations of fans.

I do think he was right-- you can't put three minor villains in Wave 1 and expect Joe Public to buy them up. They also should have produced a Batman figure that looked more like the prototype and less doughy than what actually came out (he looks soft). Same deal with the fat suit on the Hot Toys body-- there's no reason for it. Adam was in shape when he played Batman. Watch Season One and show me the fat-- it's not there. Yet each interpretation now seems to give him a paunch. Lew Wilson gets an equally bad rap in his go as the original Batman in 1943-- he was fit too.

FUNKO BATMAN.jpg

The prototype has a stockier build, larger chest emblem (which is actually not correct but it looks better) and better cowl markings. The less heroic looking figure produced may have turned off some casual collectors.

Wave 1 should have been Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Joker, Bookworm and Mr Freeze. Eli and Batman screentest chase figures.
Wave 2 could have then been Batgirl, Riddler, Penguin, King Tut, Mad Hatter and Pink Cowl Batman. Chase figure(s) John Astin Riddler and Surf's Up Batman.

This is all endless nonsense and speculation, but something doesn't add up-- last year full size Batman figures, they build a Life Size Batcave, and this year it's all Pop Figures?? And shock and dismissal when we ask about them?
Thanks for the heads up on the Suoer 7 figs especially the POTA line. I’ve wanted Apes in this scale since I was a kid and Mego was my only choice but my friends had cool pocket size Star Wars. Plus it’s a line that doesn’t need a lot of characters to feel complete, just make a couple of Mego style play sets in scale which sounds like a fun project I can do.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Super7 Apes and Monsters! Damn I learn alot from this page!

I'm pretty sure the funko images are digital illustrations not prototype photos. Development is time consuming and costly so lots of mid to small companies sell the real looking digital illustration before they even make the prototype. Called "A cold sell" it used to be considered unethical but hey.....
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

so what is the best guess for wave 2 after the big 3 (Joker, Riddler, Penguin)?
Mad Hatter
Egg Head
Surfs Up Batman or Pink Cowl Batman (I assume some Batman figure is coming)
Chase Figs - Surfs Up Joker and the last Mr. Freeze
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

They are definitely digital mockups, probably zbrush but today's 3D printing technology adheres to the digi mock, so why couldn't these?

Planet of the Apes line goes deep. Check out toyark.com and go to the Super7 gallery.
Cornelius, Zira, Ursus, Dr Zaius, Taylor and Nova in Wave 1-- wave two is shown unpainted, Urko, Cornelius in space suit, underground mutant with removable face, and Soldier Ape.

Uni monsters Mummy, Frankenstein, Creature, Wolfman and Metala Mutant.

Good stuff.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Jim-- what brand are those clear plastic stands in your pics?
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

jimpagett wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am Can some one pm me what
"I am starting to get a Shocker Toys and Geoff Beckett vibe here." means?
Sent you a PM and a very informative article on this guy.

I guess i really would like to take back my statement because comparing Reis O'brien to Geoff Beckett is beyond low...because I am sure Reis being in the industry definitely knows who Geoff is.

Just a little frustration....I am hoping after all he Toy fair dust settles and they have a little time on their hands that they will make an official announcement.
jimpagett

Post by jimpagett »

Thanks so much on the article.

yes we are all feeling that frustration and it's kind'a funny how we each deal with it. But we are living in a great time for this stuff to finally be having good figures to complain about.

I can remember watching the (sort'a crummy) first run of the Egghead dinosaur episode (In B&W) with an ideal Batman clutched in hand and even then my little brain was think'n "why don't this look like the guy on TV?!" .. Well now we really got them :)

Andy prompts a thought... At this rate we can probably hope for a 66' line from Super7 in a few years (hint, hint) Isn't the greatest pleasure of having something is wanting it?

Can't wait for wave 2!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm Jim-- what brand are those clear plastic stands in your pics?
Yeah, they look cool. Please share if you can. Thx.