In today's Monsters in Motion Email: Penguin sub model kit

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Chynna22

In today's Monsters in Motion Email: Penguin sub model kit

Post by Chynna22 »

I still would like this in a die cast form in the same scale as the Elite vehicles:

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/b ... it-p-23410
Better Living Through Godzilla
John Mack

Re: In today's Monsters in Motion Email: Penguin sub model kit

Post by John Mack »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Unfortunately, this an unlicensed/unauthorized resin kit which is why it's called a Villain Submarine. There's nothing wrong with getting the kit and making it a Penguin sub, but what I object to is their use of the 66 Batlogo trying to add authenticity to the item. We've seen this for years before the licensing boom with 66 Batmobile kits being called among other things, the Caped Custom etc, but at least those who created those resin kits knew enough to not put registered Batman logos on their ads or the kits themselves. It still didn't fly with DC and soon cease and desist letters flew.

Like I said, I'd be fine with the advertising of the kit as something you could customize, but associating it with the official Batman logo is going to put them in deeper waters than in the back lot pond used in the filming of our beloved movie.
Music. BAT! Music.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Where is the Bat logo on the sub? I see only the penguin motif.

The Batman logo is not attached to the sub. It just brings up all the other Batman stuff when you do a product search. If they didn't link the sub to the "Batman" descriptor, no one would find it.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

The maker doesn't use the logo, but the website does. They obviously don't get the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" aspect of these garage kits. ;)

But yes, without the link to the "Batman" category no one would find it. I think John's point is that it doesn't deserve that link, since it's unauthorized. Since the makers' only legal defense would be to say, "Hey, it could be one of any number of submarines customized to look like a water fowl," then that's the only kind of marketing they're entitled to. " Monster's" Bat-link is helpful for customers, but it won't do the makers any favors when DC's lawyers come knocking.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Therin of Andor wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 am Where is the Bat logo on the sub? I see only the penguin motif.

The Batman logo is not attached to the sub. It just brings up all the other Batman stuff when you do a product search. If they didn't link the sub to the "Batman" descriptor, no one would find it.
What Sprang said...never said it was on the item, but in the ad..in the upper left.
Music. BAT! Music.