Knob and dial to upgrade your Shakespeare bust

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
greatlakes6

Re: Knob and dial to upgrade your Shakespeare bust

Post by greatlakes6 »

I'll take a look at it and see. I'm very good at taking something that is in great condition, messing around with it, and regretting it. It is definitely a talent.
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

And I just found the perfect light!
Attachments
IMG_3648.JPG
ChrisPappas

Post by ChrisPappas »

That is the right lens, but the original mount was press-fit with a smooth edge, not screw-on. I'm looking into having them manufactured as the correct version is rare.

Chris
ChrisPappas

Post by ChrisPappas »

Here is the correct lens:
20170614_193507.jpg
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

Chris,
Thanks, I knew that about lens fitting but this is as close as I can get and since the whizz-bang bust isn't exact, I'm not going to split hairs ... for now. 😜
Andy
Hardeen

Post by Hardeen »

westbatman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 pm Chris,
Thanks, I knew that about lens fitting but this is as close as I can get and since the whizz-bang bust isn't exact, I'm not going to split hairs ... for now. 😜
Andy
Don't mean to rain on any's parade but I'm rebuilding my Whiz Bang bust and I believe these are the correct lamps. The white one is too white & too short but the seller sells more lenses here and has the taller translucent lenses (make sure they are smooth inside too). If you contact the seller he will put together the lamp socket and the proper lens. You'll have to get a 125 volt bulb but those are easy to find. I can give a source it you're stumped.

I've attaches a pic of my lamp and Chris's switchplate and handle (fantastic work Chris!!) together and also a pic of the real switch and lamp for the show. If it seems too white in my pic, I've also attached a pic with it lit(with a flash) so you can see that it is slightly yellow when turned on (in real life it's not a reddish as it appears int my pic). If you look closely I believe that you'll agree with me.

Now, anyone want to share any tips on repainting Bill to be closer to the original?

JMD
My Lamp.JPG
Original Bust.jpg
Attachments
My Lamp lit.JPG
Hardeen

Post by Hardeen »

I just realized that i hadn't looked at the first page of this thread before I posted. I didn't see the OP's first post that has a different close up of the bust (which I've attached). This lens is clearly different from the one in the pic of the original bust in my last post.

I've also attached another pic of the original bust opened where the lens is missing. The assembly for the lamp looks like it's diameter matches the OP's pic instead of the smaller lamp assembly and lens in my pic. I'm wondering if the smaller lens is the original and it was replaced at some point during the series with the larger amber lens. Perhaps the smaller lens was in the pilot episode and then changed.

I'm guessing that the smaller lamp assembly was used first because going from larger to smaller would have required replacing the piece to which the lamp and switch are mounted but going from smaller to larger would have merely needed a larger hole to be drilled.

I don't own the DVD's of the series but I'm guessing many of you on this forum do. Perhaps one of you could review the "To the Batcave" scenes and see if there is any change in the appearance of the lens as the series progressed.

Also, upon rereading my last post, I feel I came across as somewhat cocky which was not my intent. Please excuse the overconfidence in my statements. I clearly didn't do enough research and there is more mystery in the true design of the lamp assembly than I was aware.

I'm still interested is discussing how to refinish Bill to get his suntan right if anyone would like to share.

JMD

Shakespeare Open.jpg
Shakespeare Open.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Shakespeare Bust Open.jpg
ChrisPappas

Post by ChrisPappas »

Originally, the bust had the small lens and was replaced by the large lens by the next time it was seen. The small lens only appears again later when the footage was reused.

Chris
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Loving this thread! This kind of research blows my mind. Hat's off to you!
Hardeen

Post by Hardeen »

ChrisPappas wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 pm Originally, the bust had the small lens and was replaced by the large lens by the next time it was seen. The small lens only appears again later when the footage was reused.

Chris
Thanks for replying, Chris.

So, the original lamp was only shot for the first episode(s)? Do you know if the first episode(s) was the pilot? Some of the props changed between the original pilot for Star Trek (The Cage) and actual series. Perhaps this is a similar situation.

I'm going to rebuild my Bill using this original lamp. If i ever decide later to change to the larger amber lamp enlarging the hole would be easy. I'm planning to mount the piece the switch and lamp are mounted to using magnets instead of glue so I can open him up any time I need to.

JMD
dodgr31

Post by dodgr31 »

Chris,

Where can we get the correct lens.
westbatman

Post by westbatman »

Just finished my last whiz bang bust conversion for a client unless I find one for me. Enjoy! (Sorry about the messy work bench)
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Looks amazing! I really wish I could have gotten one of these.
Hardeen

Post by Hardeen »

Finally completed my upgrade to my Whiz Bag Bill Bust. Here are a couple of shots.

Still looking to have it repainted to match the original but haven't found a good option to have it done yet. Any info anyone wishes to share would be appreciated.
IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2695.jpg