1:50 Scale Batman Classic TV Series Batcave Desktop Sculpture From Factory Entertainment

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatMite

Re: 1:50 Scale Batman Classic TV Series Batcave Desktop Sculpture From Factory Entertainment

Post by BatMite »

This is very cool, and I'd love to own it...but $800? How many will they possibly sell at that price? I appreciate the workmanship and the attention to detail, but I can't imagine what the profit ratio must be.
batmansquest

Re: 1:50 Scale Batman Classic TV Series Batcave Desktop Sculpture From Factory Entertainment

Post by batmansquest »

I love the details of the sculpture but I have to agree with @batmite it is expensive.
rajung

Post by rajung »

The "Batmobile not included" is a deal breaker for me.
Wonder how market interest kept this alive and the Batmobile from Hottoys appears to have sunk for that reason?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Wow- lit up this is very impressive.

I get there's a lot of work in it, and there is a $100 off deal going on if you buy one of their 14 Miles to Gotham City signs at SDCC this year but even then it's still $700. It's a big piece, measuring 18" wide and again, the lights are REALLY cool but I think I'd pass even at $350.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

rajung wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 am The "Batmobile not included" is a deal breaker for me.
Wonder how market interest kept this alive and the Batmobile from Hottoys appears to have sunk for that reason?
That 1/50 Batmobile is under $10 at Target, Walmart, ebay, etc. If you bought the red box blue ray, it was included in that set.

I'm curious as to how the 1/43 will look in the cave - you have several choices there: GADM, Corgi, HotWheels, Eaglemoss and a number of Chinese mfgs.

As for 66 interest, the first run watchers are more focused on retirement, so maybe the syndication folks are their target. I'm speaking for myself, but I see similar comments on the Batmobile website. DC waited too long they caught the end of the bell curve, This stuff should have been released in the 90's. I think they finally realized Batman can exist in several forms: Cartoons, Movies, Lego Movies, and TV live action - simultaneously. That's not counting comics, books, trade paperbacks, and other media.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I do applaud the effort that they are making.
The number of finishes is mind boggling!!!

Just too pricey for mass market goods in my opinion.
It's interesting how they are attempting to spin it by calling it a sculpture.

Now if a company would make something like this as a kit and lose the attempt of making it "in the round" and focus on the cave aspect, with individually packaged set pieces to spread the cost, You would have gotten me.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Chuck Williams wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 am I do applaud the effort that they are making.

Now if a company would make something like this as a kit and lose the attempt of making it "in the round" and focus on the cave aspect, with individually packaged set pieces to spread the cost, You would have gotten me.
Amen! Moebius, are you listening?
Music. BAT! Music.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Chuck Williams wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 am I do applaud the effort that they are making.

I'm totally with Chuck on this one.

I think by the nature of quantity of these to be produced in the run versus the amount of work that has gone into it is totally cost-prohibitive for the large percentage of the demographic they would have hypothetically aimed it at.

Is it perfect? No. Is it still one of the coolest bits of '66 merch I have come across, heck yes!
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I Agree too. it's a beautiful piece but way out of my price range. A kit like Chuck suggested is a better Idea.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

I agree, a kit would have been great. Plus a material that is not so heavy.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I have purchased or built several "Batcave" in scales of 1/18 to 1/64 as cottage industry kits. Some are simple folded picture 1/43 scale for about $60. I like the kit idea, and will buy the Figures Toy company version when released as I already have the Apron Alfred figure.
The scale of most of these is quite large, so you either have to have a very large area or display only a portion of the cave. The kit lends itself to that, but I would be afraid the line would run out of gas after the release of 2 or 3 pieces, namely the Atomic reactor, cave entrance and batpoles.

Thoughts
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

I'd like to think that a lighter material instead of the resin would drastically bring down the price and weight allowing for more areas to display.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Excellent point Szabol!!

I agree that the line would probably run out of steam quickly but if Mattel would have done the reactor, cave exit and poles to go with the bat-computer , simple rock shaped vacuform or blow molded pieces could have filled the voids and create an environment.

The scale makes a cave anything over the size of the Mattel figures huge!Even at the Mattel scale the base
of a replica model would roughly be a 4x8' sheet of plywood. Not every collector would have the space.

Key pieces well arranged would make for a nice setting though.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Right on Chuck.

Scooter made a 1/25 scale around models that was large. http://www.scooterscustomworks.com/http ... ct-part-1/

Here's a link http://1966batvehicles.yuku.com/reply/2 ... U7SWFSxWhA
to a review of a 1/18 scale that was clever and light, but the atomic pile was less than what I was looking for. And the furniture was lacking too. Here's most of the furniture for the cave:
IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6390.JPG (37.39 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
IMG_6389.JPG
IMG_6389.JPG (32.45 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
It was pretty large too, but fit over a corner fireplace. Ideally, 1/43 or 1/50 is a reasonable scale to view, while larger but less detailed can provide play value, like a Funko size, which is about 1/18 scale (3-3/4" figures).

For me, I would love to put it under a coffee table with a glass top, maybe enclosed in a round lucite to keep dust out, remote control turntable linked to the new Shakespeare bust. The entire cave would rotate. Oh well, I can dream.
IMG_6391.JPG