Penguin's Top Hat and Gloves

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
SaintsPreserveUs

Penguin's Top Hat and Gloves

Post by SaintsPreserveUs »

Just saw this... Thepropstore in London is auctioning an episope worn top hat and glove set next month...
390000-t1.jpg
390000-t1.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

The Penguin's (Burgess Meredith) top hat and gloves from the classic live-action television series Batman. The Penguin wore his purple top hat and white fur gloves throughout the series. This hat was likely worn in numerous episodes, and was specifically outfitted with head straps for episode 305, 'A Horse of Another Color', in which the Penguin rigged a horse race.

The signature top hat is spray-painted purple, and features a leather chinstrap stitched to the black nylon sweatband. The creme-coloured interior liner shows tears to the fabric which expose the shell. The Penguin's gloves are made of creme-coloured cotton with faux fur stitched over the top. The gloves are outfitted with snap buttons at the wrist for a snug fit. Also included is an autographed 8x10 photo of Burgess Meredith which reads 'HELLO! from Burgess Meredith! (THE Penguin)'. The lot shows minor wear due to production use and age, but remains in very fine condition. Dimensions (top hat): 20 cm x 15 cm x 25 cm (12" x 6" x 10"); (gloves): 23 cm x 3 cm x 15 cm (9" x 1" x 6"); (photograph): 20 cm x 25 cm (8" x 10")
Begorra!
clavierankh

Re: Penguin's Top Hat and Gloves

Post by clavierankh »

I wonder if it was born in the Zodiac Crimes too? You can see a chin strap when he gets out of the box he's delivered in.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Scott, Alex and I were fortunate enough to see this on display at SDCC back in July. The Propstore London also are auctioning one of the Bat-Respirator's from "Smack in the Middle" and one of Julie's early suits.

Here's a photo I took of Scott and Alex with the display:
2017-22-07-Alex_Scott-Propstore-SDCC-Ben_Bentley-Board_Res-2727.jpg
Valerie Perez poses in a replica suit made by Vickie Sebring with what we believe to be Julie's "Purrfect Crime" costume:
2017-22-07-Valerie-Propstore-SDCC-Ben_Bentley-Board_Res-2692.jpg
Meule

Post by Meule »

And the Joker Grenade Box and grenades from The Joker's Last Laugh.
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Meule

Post by Meule »

Penguin's hat and gloves sold for £32,500 (estimated £15,000-20,000)
Catwoman's costume fetched £18,000 (estimated £15,000-20,000)
And the Batrespirator (estimated £15,000-20,000, but zero bids) and the Joker grenades (estimated £10,000-15,000, highest bid was £7,500) were unsold... Might sound strange, but those are the ones I'd want the most :)
Wonder what happens with them now?
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe