Batman '66 "scratchboard" silkscreen poster

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
mwilbury

Batman '66 "scratchboard" silkscreen poster

Post by mwilbury »

I don't know how this slipped past me TWO YEARS AGO, but it's too good not to share.

Summers-Batman.jpg

If you know much about illustration or advertising art, Mark Summers (the artist, not the TV host) is THE MAN when it comes to scratchboard. I don't think there's a more famous living artist in this medium.

French Paper commissioned a poster with our beloved characters. It is still for sale on their site:
On Sale Here

After shipping to the States, it's pretty expensive, but I can tell you that it's still a good value for an 18-color silkscreen from an edition of 150. Those out-of-print Mondo posters, usually by inferior artists, sell for at least twice this amount. (I couldn't help but notice a little something weird going on with the top of Batman's cowl, but it's still a beautiful work.)
Yellow Oval

Re: Batman '66 "scratchboard" silkscreen poster

Post by Yellow Oval »

This would be a perfect rendition with the exception that, yes, the left bat ear is badly done looking more like a blue popsicle stick than a bat ear. That, and the top of the cowl isn't circular with the front part higher than the rear on either side of said ear effectively giving him a pointy head. Too bad as everything else is great.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

One of the difficulties with scratch board is it gives everything a sort of grit-- intended or not- and Robin has a sort of five o'clock shadow thing going here.

It's oddly off balance with a lot of negative space at the bottom-- but it's an interesting piece.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

It is excellent work. I also see the imbalance AndyFish noticed. A bit more light space above the head and in front of Batman might have helped. Still, much better than I could do! Ha!

Overall, reminds me of something from the 1940s.