FTC BATMAN WAVE 6

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

FTC BATMAN WAVE 6

Post by AndyFish »

A pass for me because I gave up on this line long ago and got rid of my figures, but I know a lot of you are still invested in these.

Alfred as Batman variant, which is interesting because I don't think we ever heard Alf's last name on the show, and they seem to have put him on a super thin body. As I said I no longer have my figures but I don't remember Alfred being on a thin frame for the regular figure.

Also in this wave are the long awaited Catwomen; Eartha and Julie (although she looks a little more like Lee to me). Odd that they call her a superhero because I'm pretty sure Catwoman in 1966 was a proper villain.

Rounding out the set is another "variant" of sorts-- Alfred's Cousin Eggbert from whatever episode that was.

All of these are up for pre-order on their site with shipping planned for December.
Ben Bentley

Re: FTC BATMAN WAVE 6

Post by Ben Bentley »

Awesome that we're finally getting Catowomen in this line! They're definitely on my shopping list.

I never imagined when the product license became available for the show that any manufacturer would ever as "deep-cut" as to give us a Cousin Eggy figure! I've said it before but...WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE, EH?!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Awesome that we're finally getting Catwomen in this line! They're definitely on my shopping list.

I never imagined when the product license became available for the show that any manufacturer would ever as "deep-cut" as to give us a Cousin Eggy figure! I've said it before but...WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE, EH?!
svl

Post by svl »

Love 'em. And I second Ben's statement- NEVER in my lifetime did I think I'd be able to own an official Cousin Eggy fig. :)

The thin Alfred as Batman fig probably comes from Gordon's statement to Robin in that episode, "Say, Boy Wonder, Batman looks a little... um... thinner these days. Is he all right?".
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Alfred in Batman suit: I posted that in September 2015 :D
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Szabol wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm Alfred in Batman suit: I posted that in September 2015 :D
Haha, well it wouldn't be the first time that the so called "powers that be" have paid attention to this ole message board of ours...
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Alfred the Batbutler.jpg
From September 2015.
Meule

Post by Meule »

I love this line, but Julie does look like Lee and Eartha's skintone seems a little too light to me. And it would've been cool if FTC had included a golden catgun in the package
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Glad they went with the Alfred skinny body for the batsuit-- he looks too buff otherwise. That would lead me to believe the Alfred figure is on a standard FTC body.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:11 am Glad they went with the Alfred skinny body for the batsuit-- he looks too buff otherwise. That would lead me to believe the Alfred figure is on a standard FTC body.
It looks like it may be a new sculpt for Alfred's head too. The face looks thinner, less like the Gordon head from the main line - or is it just my eyes
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Meule wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 am I love this line, but Julie does look like Lee and Eartha's skintone seems a little too light to me. And it would've been cool if FTC had included a golden catgun in the package
Your "skin tone" comment took me back to the years I lived in South Carolina (home of Ms. Kitt). I can't tell you how many times I read in articles or heard her mention in interviews that as a young girl the name folks called her to bully her was "Yellow Gal". :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

For customizers, Cousin Egbert's uniform, teamed with the transparent False Face mask sold by the Classic TV Toys website, makes for an excellent False face!
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I found this line has been hit and miss. Some of the figures have been great while others are just - why? Still, I pretty much agree with Andy in that I found this line has been mostly on the 'miss' side. It jumped the shark for me (the Fonzie shark reference - not the Batman on the Batcopter ladder one :lol: ) when they tried pushing Batman and Robin tied to plastic tables. Honestly...? :roll: That, and why couldn't they give us a False-Face figure? No, they give us cousin Egbert which is just a rehash of the Alfred one. FTC, I just don't know.....

On the plus side, being a big Evel Knievel fan I thought their figure wasn't too bad, though I didn't purchase it. It reminded me of one of my greatest possessions during the mid-'70s - the Evel Knievel stunt cycle with the Evel figure (I also had the big red, white, and blue scramble van). Does anyone remember that? Yes, those were the days.... :D
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I remember that Evel Kneivel figure in the ad that ran on the back of every comic book for what seemed like years.

I was a kid at the height of Kneivel's fame and while I was never a fan, all my friends were (I don't know what my problem was: a couple years later everyone got into KISS except me, then Star Wars).

Anyway, recently I pulled up some Youtube videos and tried to explain to my 9-year-old why Kneivel was such a big deal, given that he failed more often than he succeeded and was mostly famous for breaking every bone in his body at least once. Finally all I could come up with was, "Everyone HAD to keep paying attention to him, so they wouldn't miss it when he finally got himself killed."

When she asked why all my friends wanted to be like him if his chief attraction was that he was always one (more) screw-up away from the grave, all I could venture was, "He was always the center of attention. And every kid wants attention"

I think in the sense that he was willing to do absolutely anything to get a camera pointed at him, Evel Kneivel was ahead of his time. He pretty much paved the way for 21st Century "culture."
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Sprangfan, SprangFan, SprangFan, how can I explain Evel's appeal? Let's put it this way. If anyone was a real-life superhero it was Evel. Back then we all were in awe of him strictly because he put the 'death defying' in death defying stunts. :shock: With every stunt event he was looking into the Grim Reaper's face each time and staring him down. The fact he broke every bone at least once was like notches on a gunslinger of the old west's gun handle. That, and he wore colorful outfits like a superhero with a cape and carried a diamond-tipped cane like a magic wand! I think he should have had a stars and stripes top hat to boot when he was't wearing his helmet! In some ways he was just like Batman swinging between the office towers or Superman soaring through the air, albeit Evel would be aloft only for a few seconds. My friends and I used to emulate and imitate him and all it took, much to the dismay of our mothers ("You stupid kids! Just because Evel Knievel wants to kill himself doesn't mean you have to! :lol: ), was a couple of grey cinderblocks, some plywood boards, and our banana-seat bikes (who doesn't miss their old banana-seat bikes? :cry: ) Check this out to get Evel's point of view for a stunt and feel for yourself what it would be like and take to face such a challenge that you couldn't turn away from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NA6BWPbak

Note that no matter the outcome the fans still cheered after every event because Evel would never back down. 8-)

Anyway, we thought he was the symbol of All-Americanism and courage. My dad thought he was just plain nuts (and yet he had to watch with me every stunt jump ABC Wide World of Sports would broadcast ;) ) while I remember his friends saying they thought Evel was the epitome of the fearless and adventurous American Spirit never backing down from a challenge. This was Evel's appeal back then, but I will agree with you - he was quite the showboat (with a possible deathwish at that, who knows?) as well. Who wouldn't have been in his position? You'd have to do something to distract you from your high stakes, risk-loving lifestyle.

I was also a huge KISS fan as they were comic book hero characters come to life. As has been said, Gene Simmons looked like Batman's evil twin brother after a late night on the town. :P These guys were calculated to get the comic crowd as fans and it worked and the team-up with Marvel comics in '76 was just going to have to happen one way or another anyway at some point. Interestingly, the Love Gun 1977 tour, which was the height of their stardom, was also referred to as 'rock meets Star Wars' (before that they were considered 'rock meets Hammer Horror carrying on Alice Cooper's legacy) because the movie had come out and their stage set was phenomenal in terms of sleek-looking and special effects. It was a great time. However, as much as I liked Star Wars I was never a huge fan preferring Star Trek (original series and original movie series) and, as I said in the Justice League thread, I have zero interest in Disney's Star Wars recycled hash.

That Evel ad you referred to that was on the back cover of all the comics I remember well and fondly. I'd finish reading whatever issue and then just stare at the ad. I even loved the Harley Davidson Number 1 logo. I guess the ad being on the comic cover goes to show the association between comics, comic heroes, and Evel.

Evel Knievel - they don't make them like him anymore - especially the way the world is now. :cry:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"