Joel Eisner Book

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Keith Mayo

Joel Eisner Book

Post by Keith Mayo »

The Gunny can't wait to read today's Bat Library addition.
Attachments
26168715_2080606901965991_7723156502543319415_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
John Mack

Re: Joel Eisner Book

Post by John Mack »

Love that cover. The book has more than a few incorrect statements, so if you come across something you question, just post it here. We have lots of people that can clear up things.
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

John Mack wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:37 pm The book has more than a few incorrect statements, so if you come across something you question, just post it here. We have lots of people that can clear up things.
Such as?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh, I'll let others far more "in the know" answer that.
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

John Mack wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm Oh, I'll let others far more "in the know" answer that.
I guess "they" don't exist.
dell

Post by dell »

Let's all tread carefully here. I know one of the Eisner Batman books got people riled up and we don't need to go there again. Let sleeping dogs lie so to speak.
dell
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

We've covered some of the book's inaccuracies on our To the Batpoles podcast. Some are minor and not necessarily Eisner's fault, and some facts are disputed but I'm not sure anyone has definitive proof. On the latter, his book's statement that the two Liberace episodes had the highest Neilsen ratings of the series -- in all likelihood, "Smack in the Middle" got better ratings due to word of mouth from viewers of "Hi Diddle Riddle".

The more frustrating aspect of the book to me is that, on some episodes, it doesn't go much beyond a plot recap.

The larger problem is that there isn't really ANY book on Batman 66, as far as I know, that has been done with the kind of verified, careful, footnoted research that some pop culture topics get. I keep threatening (to myself) to write that book, but doing so probably wouldn't pay the bills, if you know what I mean!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Thanks, Bat-rss. I appreciate the info. Glad to know the errors are of such a minor nature.
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:50 pm We've covered some of the book's inaccuracies on our To the Batpoles podcast. Some are minor and not necessarily Eisner's fault,
For instance, Dozier told Eisner for his original book that villain actors got $2500 per two-episode arc in seasons 1 and 2. Documentation from Dozier's files shows it was $3500, with occasional exceptions.
bat-rss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:50 pm The larger problem is that there isn't really ANY book on Batman 66, as far as I know, that has been done with the kind of verified, careful, footnoted research that some pop culture topics get. I keep threatening (to myself) to write that book, but doing so probably wouldn't pay the bills, if you know what I mean!
I would love to read that book myself. But, yeah, I don't know how well it would sell.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 am
For instance, Dozier told Eisner for his original book that villain actors got $2500 per two-episode arc in seasons 1 and 2. Documentation from Dozier's files shows it was $3500, with occasional exceptions.
The historian's problem, which I've come to appreciate while we make our podcast: interviewing people directly involved with the subject doesn't necessarily get you accurate information! Memories fade, some people exaggerate, etc.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm
High C wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 am
The historian's problem, which I've come to appreciate while we make our podcast: interviewing people directly involved with the subject doesn't necessarily get you accurate information! Memories fade, some people exaggerate, etc.
Very true. The late Eli Wallach claimed for years he only was paid $350 for the Mr. Freeze arc. He left off a zero (fitting, I guess).

And Joan Collins irritated Trekkers for many years by claiming her character was against starting World War II because she thought Hitler was a 'nice guy.' Of course, it was because Edith Keeler was a pacifist.

But we also have to remember that, especially for one-shot guest stars, their time on Batman consisted of 3-6 days of shooting in acting careers that often lasted decades. It can be hard to remember the details given that fact.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

John's right on the money with this one, Big Daddy. "They" certainly do exist, but we have beat this book and it's previous printing to death.
I can't speak for this second printing, but I still have my dog earred first print version around here somewhere. It was good in a time when we didn't have the internet and there was little '66 Batman stuff to be had.

For my money this is still the best take on the series;

Besides having detailed articles and great behind the scenes color photographs it's episode guide is loaded with trivia and BTS info. It's extremely well researched and professionally produced. They get more into what is probably a 35 page article than most "books".

Unfortunately it's long out of print, and trying to get a copy won't be easy.

After that would be the Coffee Table book that came out last year.
What it lacks in substance it makes up for in polish and presentation.

This one was a fun little diversion and still better than Eisner's book (IMO) which reads like a small press or self published book. Image
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Thanks for all that info.

I have the Celebration of the Classic TV Show book and LOVE it.

Can you link the thread where "we beat this book and it's previous printing to death"?

Just snagged Cinefantastique of evilbay for $14. I appreciate the suggestion.

A few months ago I asked about the Bat Facts & Stats book and was told it wasn't worth my time to bother with.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

"A few months ago I asked about the Bat Facts & Stats book and was told it wasn't worth my time to bother with."

Don't let me (although I'd never say don't waste your time) or anyone else tell you what to read or buy. You're obviously new to the whole 66 thing, as compared to say Andy or myself who have been involved in and collected 66 Batman for decades. Myself, I've been collecting info and merchandise since 1967. Andy's correct as well. The pre internet days left us all reading and studying whatever we could. There was a newspaper type publication back in the 70's and 80's called TOY SHOP. I'm not sure Chip Kidd mentions it by name in his book, Batman Collected, but before ebay, it was THE way to buy Batman collectibles.
Btw, Batman Collected is a fun artsy fartsy book to look at, with many beautiful photos to look at, but if you want in-depth information on the items such as manufacturer etc, Kidd doesn't deliver. Shown, is the first edition cover.
Attachments
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

How did you collect "66 things" decades ago? I'm 58 and remember well all the merchandise that came out back then. Very little of it was really connected to the show but was Silver Age/New Look items.

Collecting of true '66 items seems to have really started with the release of the 6" Mattel figures. The Corgi vehicles were close but were not screen accurate in my opinion so I never bothered with them as a kid.